Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed traps increasing?

Speed traps increasing?

Is it me or are there massive amounts of speed traps in MA and NH lately? Just got bagged last week on the Kancamagus, I NEVER used to see them on that road. See a bunch on 93 in NH. I take the Mass pike to work and they are everywhere. Its not a good feeling while on a sport bike always looking over your shoulder

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Speed traps increasing?

a speed trap on the Kanc?! holy crap dont think I have ever seen one there. they are prob gearing up to start nailing all of the out of state leafers that go up there in the fall. local or state cop? where bouts was it on the Kanc? I generally average about 95-100mph on that road when I go up there

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Driving down 93 in NH from Franconia on Labor day I saw 4-5 people pulled over on either side of the road within about a 20 mile stretch. I was actually somewhat scared to do 10 over and slowed down to the speed limit.

Staties do that all year round up north, keep it at 72 and you'll be all set. But a NH plate helps in the not getting pulled over dept.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

The NH SP got a federal grant to have more patrols around holidays. Don't ya feel safer now?

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

my understanding was that since the Kanc runs thru 'no mans land' that neither the staties, sheriffs nor the local cops wanted to take responsibility for patroling it etc. perhaps this is changing... ive seen local cops on the Kanc maybe a mile or 2 into it from town at either end but never camped out anywhere in the 'fun' part

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

It's also the beginning of the school year. My town posted that they'll be enforcing the school zone heavily as a reminder.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Lifer

Was just about to put my foot in it just this very morning when I noticed a dark sedan 5' off the side of the road in the weeds. Sneaky bastid.

I also noticed the town next door to me is running their cute little "your speed is" trailer a lot more lately. Recently they set it up in a well marked 40 MPH zone with a 30 MPH sign on it.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I also noticed the town next door to me is running their cute little "your speed is" trailer a lot more lately. Recently they set it up in a well marked 40 MPH zone with a 30 MPH sign on it.
    Am I alone in seeing those as a challenge to see how high I can make it read. Most have an upper limit.

I was out near Lake Placid a couple of weeks ago and passed a cop that was parked in such a way that he was using the sign to measure speed. That's the first time I have ever seen that. I wonder if the signs are calibrated adequately...

Be careful with those trailers. I got tagged last year when they left the trailer there for two weeks until I got used to it and then they removed it and a cop posted up in the same spot. I blew through there, ignoring my radar detector and got bagged for 47 in a 25.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

For all you lead foots or those who do not know the strength of your right wrist . NH has a little New Years gift for ya. Starting January 2014 the state of NH will be raising the speed limit on I-93 from 65 to 70 m.p.h. The speed limit will increase north of Concord increased posted limit will start between Exit #17 and Exit #18. One exception to the new speed limit is between the notch in Franconia.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...limit/2575047/

On a side note. With the increase of traffic fatalities rising, as well as the influx of Massachucettes toristist clogging our roadways. IMHO I think the state has pressure to keep roadway fatalities below a certain standard. Their way of doing so is by keeping a higher presence and enforcing the speed limits. I can't say if Federal funding is granted to patrol, or withheld if these fatality numbers increase, but it would not surprise me if "big brother" is behind the curtain pulling the strings.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Trajiks9; 09-06-13 at 08:52 PM.
    🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

I find it hilarious that the state of NH (and others) thinks that speed limits = less fatalities. Very little correlation.
    Its about MONEY and its a good way to make money AND look like youre doing something about RTAs. Nothing else.

Highway fatalities come from
    Texting
    Not paying attention
    Lane discipline
    Following too close

A properly trained and tested driver pool will decrease RTAs on the highways. Speed limits (up to a point) are irrelevent.

Autobahn=safest highways in the world. Go fucking figure.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Am I alone in seeing those as a challenge to see how high I can make it read. Most have an upper limit.
    Speed traps increasing?-20385_4885179738136_608992523_n-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

A properly trained and tested driver pool will decrease RTAs on the highways. Speed limits (up to a point) are irrelevent.
    Yeap, but when has the government actually come up with any "common sense" legislation to deal with that? How dare you make me take a test, there's a Teen Mom marathon coming up. Ain't nobody got time for that!!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Speed traps increasing?-20385_4885179738136_608992523_n-jpg

Yeap, but when has the government actually come up with any "common sense" legislation to deal with that? How dare you make me take a test, there's a Teen Mom marathon coming up. Ain't nobody got time for that!!
    Oh lord jesus it's a fire!

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    my understanding was that since the Kanc runs thru 'no mans land' that neither the staties, sheriffs nor the local cops wanted to take responsibility for patroling it etc. perhaps this is changing... ive seen local cops on the Kanc maybe a mile or 2 into it from town at either end but never camped out anywhere in the 'fun' part
    Paging Officer Nikon...

I've seen the Lincoln PD up all the way to the Kanc pass.

I've also turned around at the pass and while heading back towards Lincoln, saw an officer go screaming by who wasn't chasing anyone. So curiosity got the better of me and I turned around to go look. Someone tossed a bike at the pass, no cops in sight a few minutes earlier, yet when I got back up there, there were LEO's of all kinds, everywhere. The Lincoln officer, staties, and park enforcement? I can't remember, but I have never seen them before, and aside from that day, haven't seen them again. Regardless, they all must have come out of the woods. Secret stations along the kanc with hidden driveways... look out

Here's a new style of speed trap I have not previously seen:

Flatbed tow truck on the side of the highway (with tow lights on), flatbed dropped and pointing up, ready to accept a vehicle. The truck is angled in such a way so a trooper can tuck their car in between the truck and the guardrail. Can't see the trooper until you pass the truck and look in your rear view to see a tiny red light coming from the dashboard of the cruiser.

In other words, the authorities are now creating unnecessary highway distractions for drivers, many of whom are already distracted, and claiming it's all in the name of safety...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellysoup View Post
    See a bunch on 93 in NH

All the more reason to stay off the well traveled roads, I haven't noticed any increase in traffic patrol or enforcement on the roads I ride

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Saw that too Bergsy, my spidey sense was tingling when I saw a flatbed with no vehicle to load.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

the speed traps always increase this time of the year I feel. since most of the winter they really can't do it they need to get all the revenue they can get to sustain over the winter months is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Here's a new style of speed trap I have not previously seen:

Flatbed tow truck on the side of the highway (with tow lights on), flatbed dropped and pointing up, ready to accept a vehicle. The truck is angled in such a way so a trooper can tuck their car in between the truck and the guardrail. Can't see the trooper until you pass the truck and look in your rear view to see a tiny red light coming from the dashboard of the cruiser.

In other words, the authorities are now creating unnecessary highway distractions for drivers, many of whom are already distracted, and claiming it's all in the name of safety...

That is such bullshit. With all the stupid, inattentive people on the road I can't understand why they need to resort to tricks to catch people doing something that gives them excuse to stop them.

I'm convinced you could park a marked cruiser on the side of the road with blues flashing and by the time most people woke up from their trance they'd already be bagged.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Well, Mark, in the name of safety, we all know it's a bigger ticket for the offense since there are service vehicles present.

Heftier fines directly equate to safer roads.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Move over, slow down. It's occifer safety you mean, mean sheeple.

Sign here. Mail your payment to this address.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajiks9 View Post
    / On a side note. With the increase of traffic fatalities rising, as well as the influx of Massachucettes toristist clogging our roadways. IMHO I think the state has pressure to keep roadway fatalities below a certain standard. Their way of doing so is by keeping a higher presence and enforcing the speed limits. I can't say if Federal funding is granted to patrol, or withheld if these fatality numbers increase, but it would not surprise me if "big brother" is behind the curtain pulling the strings.
    Makes perfect sense. Now that Summer is over, increase patrols to catch speeding vacationers.

http://www.nhdtz.com/numbers

Last edited by Garandman; 09-08-13 at 02:57 PM.

It's all about the revenue, they've been increasing patrols since Spring it would seem. Do they ever pull anyone over for blocking the fast lane though??

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Makes perfect sense. Now that Summer is over, increase patrols to catch speeding vacationers.

http://www.nhdtz.com/numbers
    So they increase patrols after labor day and after school starts? In the north country summer traffic violations are like shooting fish in a barrel, patrols drop after labor day it's the unofficial closing day of most vacation homes and when people start pulling their boats out of the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast