Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Speed traps increasing?

Re: Speed traps increasing?

It was not state police, I don't know where he was positioned originally. I came around a left hand turn at around 70 saw a regular car parked on the left side facing me, then noticed it was parked because the cop had pulled him over. Once I realized there was a cop behind the first car..... too late! He did the old - ran out in the middle of the road and pointed at me. He said he had me doing 63 and asked if I knew the limit in that section, I said I'm assuming 50. Nope 40, I said really I would not have guessed 40 in this stretch. He gave me the ticket for 55 in 40. 40?? are you kidding me? So of course this was my first pass of the day which ruined my time out so I decided to leave, try doing the speed limit on that road for the whole length of it, talk about brutal. To top it off I had just finished breaking in my new bike and wasn't able to start gunning it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    So they increase patrols after labor day and after school starts? In the north country summer traffic violations are like shooting fish in a barrel, patrols drop after labor day it's the unofficial closing day of most vacation homes and when people start pulling their boats out of the water.
    I was being sarcastic. There is no "facetious" emoticon.....

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

I was riding home yesterday from the Concord, N.H. area. Decided to take the "road less traveled" and went south on Logging Hill Rd. in Bow. They were running a speed trap both North and South lanes. Very sneaky on how they tucked them selves partially in a pull of in a shaded area. They got me 48 in a 35, they were being gracious and let me go with a written warning.

Last edited by Trajiks9; 09-09-13 at 01:38 PM.
    🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

I believe the thread you are looking for is "The cunts are out for revenue collection"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

New tactic?
    http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...ded-by-police/
    BILLERICA Mass. (WHDH) -- A young driverwas called-out by police after he bragged about speeding on his Twitter account.After tooting his own horn about his race-car style driving skills on twitter saying “took me 11 minutes to go from Billerica to Haverhill. Just got call from NASCAR to be the next Jeff Gordon.”The Billerica Police Department responded by saying. "Jeff Gordon does his thing on a race track not on public roads."Then the state police responded to the speed demon. "Not smart, son. You put your life, and those of the motorists around you, in danger,” they said.Police did not witness the man speeding so he won't be given a ticket.He later tweeted the whole thing was a joke and his drive actually took 35 minutes. For the record Google Maps says it takes about 30 minutes to make the drive between those two towns.

Police monitoring social media - nothing new about that.

In this case the trip is around 25 miles so the kid would have had to average nearly 150mph. If he'd said 20 minutes it would have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    It's all about the revenue, they've been increasing patrols since Spring it would seem. Do they ever pull anyone over for blocking the fast lane though??
    LOL, My ex-wife got a ticket for that! She never believed me when I would tell her to move over, it's actually illegal.

Sometimes cops are alright!

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 09-10-13 at 06:02 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    LOL, My ex-wife got a ticket for that! She never believed me when I would tell her to move over, it's actually illegal.

My wife thinks I'm insane for ranting about this. Her comment is "No one knows this," although she is not a "Left Lane Bandit."

Lifer

I would LOVE very few things more in life than to see that left lane thing ACTIVELY enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I would LOVE very few things more in life than to see that left lane thing ACTIVELY enforced.
    I've seen it, and heard stories of it on separate occasions. I believe one person was charged for impeding the flow of traffic.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I would LOVE very few things more in life than to see that left lane thing ACTIVELY enforced. THIS!!!!

LRRS#167

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Never happen. Harder ticket to make stick=no revenue.

Its NOT about road safety, its about revenue generation.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In my ex's case, I think the cop was just annoyed cause she wouldn't move over for him even though he was tailgating. That just made her more stubborn about moving over. LOL

Paul_E_D

A few police cars lined up at the 93n to 95s split this morning. Not sure if they were there due to an accident but I'm pretty sure I got a stare down from one of the LEO's when I slid in between traffic to get onto 95. Pretty sure there's no law against that but I did wonder if they were pulling cars over for doing the same thing...as the cars usually block traffic trying to squeeze in last minute. Or maybe he couldn't figure out what kind of bike I was on

Lifer

That's only the second time I've ever heard of it being ticketed (or pulled over). And I've only talked to one person who's been pulled over for failure to signal.

Now compare that to the number of people I know who have been stopped for speeding (like 75%), and most of them have been convicted of it.

Last edited by aldend123; 09-10-13 at 09:45 AM.
    nedirtriders.com

Degsy is spot on. It's about the $$$$$$$$$$

They won't ticket the left lane bandits because the money isn't there and it slows down traffic. They've been shouting the speed kills Line so long that actually believe it at this point.

Once again, the public gets screwed all around in the name of "safety".

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    I've seen it, and heard stories of it on separate occasions. I believe one person was charged for impeding the flow of traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    My wife thinks I'm insane for ranting about this. Her comment is "No one knows this," although she is not a "Left Lane Bandit."
    Quote Originally Posted by odduc View Post

THIS!!!!

Pay no mind to the assbag taking the video...

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw&sns=em

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    you could park a marked cruiser on the side of the road with blues flashing
    This would actually slow down traffic and supposedly that's the "safety" purpose. However it doesn't generate revenue so instead they hide or use unmarked vehicles and snipe for revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    you could park a marked cruiser on the side of the road with blues flashing
    This would actually slow down traffic and supposedly that's the "safety" purpose. However it doesn't generate revenue so instead they hide or use unmarked vehicles and snipe for revenue.
    It also would not increase safety; it would actually add danger, as people suddenly and at slightly different times adjust their speeds upon spotting it.

It's nothing more than an extortion racket.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Ummm, yeah, that was mostly a snarky comment on the lack of inattentiveness of drivers, not a recommendation.

Who's familiar with the 85th percentile deal? A common misconception is that if speed limits are raised people will just drive even faster. It's what the safety nazi's cling to. Numerous studies in both the U.S. and Canada over the years have shown that the majority people drive the speed they are comfortable with regardless of speed limits. Sometimes that's faster, sometimes that's slower. It's like a bell curve. The 85th percentile idea is that if we were to set speed limits at the speed that 85% of the people drive it you'll have increased safety. The reason is less speed DIFFERENTIAL. Sure, you'll always have some outliers going even faster, but if you reduce their numbers you reduce the odds of an incident.

People essentially vote for this everyday with their feet. Set a ridiculously low speed limit and people "violate" it with regularity. Perfect examples are where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 in "urban" areas. Look at 495 through Lawrence. It drops from 65 to 55 from an area just north of 93 until roughly rt 213. Do people slow down for this? Most just keep trucking along at the speed they were doing before. The road didn't change. The traffic density didn't really change. It's only the number on the sign that changed due to an archaic law created decades ago.

Of course, setting speeds at the 85th percentile would have a huge detrimental impact on revenue, which is why you won't see it any time soon. Hell, the insurance industry, GEICO in particular, used to give radar guns to the police so they could write more tickets.

Jalopnik had a little writeup on the 85th percentile here: http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-best...ium=socialflow

The State of FL recommends it: http://www.dot.state.fl.us/trafficop...03_17_2011.pdf

The State of CA says it's a good idea. http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist05/traffic...eed-Zoning.PDF

Maine says the same thing. http://www.maine.gov/mdot/csd/mlrc/t...ightyfifth.htm
    The study indicated that based on the best available evidence, the speed limit should be set at the speed driven by 85 to 90 % of the free-moving vehicles rounded up to the next 5 mph increment. The method results in speed limits that are not only acceptable to a large majority of the motorists, but also fall within the speed range where the accident risk is the lowest. Allowing a 5 mph tolerance, enforcement would be targeted at drivers who are clearly at risk.
    So why the continual insistence with disregarding it? The almighty $$$$$$$

Apply it to any debate you want, whether it be airport screening, NSA bullshit , guns or speed limits. "Safety" is what they use to drive the conversation in an emotional way instead of a rational one so they get their desired outcome.

Last edited by e30addict; 09-13-13 at 07:23 PM.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

The really fucked up thing is that speed "limit" signs were never meant to be a speed "limit". That little extra was sneaked in over time to generate revenue.

The speed advisory sign was originally an advisory sign to tell people what the speed of traffic typically was on that particular road. The trouble is, if you got a ticket for "excess speed" the cop had to actually present a valid argument as to why your speed was excessive. Way to much to trust to your average patrolman, so to make it a little easier on them, the advisory was changed to a "limit" and the patrolman waa given a list of methods to write in his ticket book (radar, lidar, paced, obaerved, etc). All he then had to do was write the ticket and method that made the best case at the time and 90% of the time its a straight pay or a "responsible" in court.

Im making a FOI request for the dashcam of my last ticket. Lets see if it gets "misplaced" or was "non functioning".

Cops bring in money
    Politicians need to spend money to get political contributions
    More cops bring in more money
    More money permits more spending and the kick backs
    So even more cops make even more money

Shut up peasant and pay your Lawyer Overlords

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    That's only the second time I've ever heard of it being ticketed (or pulled over). And I've only talked to one person who's been pulled over for failure to signal.
    I got a failure to signal on the JWay. Went to court said I used a hand signal and it got dismissed.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12