Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

speeding ticket in Weymouth

speeding ticket in Weymouth

so i was riding through weymouth yesterday evening on my way back from Nantasket with my girlfriend on the back. i was wearing shorts sneakers and a T shirt and that icon feild armor back protector. she of course, because its hot out and she's a girl, was wearing short shorts and a tanktop. i try to get her to wear more but you know how the ladies are....or do you..

Anyways, so i was riding at what seemed like 45 mph max on this nice curvy n smooth road with no cars in front of me when a police bike coming the other way flashed his lights and then puled me over. he was "ya know, that vest thing isnt gonna do much good when ur going 51 and a car pulls out in front of me"....which makes it seem like im getting a ticket for the vest not speeding....cuz no matter if im going 20mph or 60 im gonna be fucked if that happens.
    then he calls his backup buddy in a cruiser to come. he asked me why i didnt have an inspection sticker and i said because i just picked it up like 8 days ago. then the buddy cop made some more fun of my vest, and asked me why my girlfriend had nothing on, and asked if she must be "disposable" with a condescending chuckle. then i kinda flipped on him and said i cant make her wear shit if she doesnt want to, im not gonna dress her up like a doll etc etc. then he felt like an idiot so resorted to his police arrogance and yelled "lose the attidude punk, get the fuck over there next to your bike, fuking tough guy....tough guy" haha pretty funny actually. but the speeding was 51 in a 30...but he didnt check radar, clocked, estimated, posted, or anything....moron. that was 160, plus 50 for the sticker, plus 50 for the head injusry BS. needless to say i already sent it my ticket to appeal and circled in big red pen how he knows i was going 51. cop def. had some sort of vendetta against kids on sportbikes with their girlfriends

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1995 Yamaha FZR600- my learner, sold
    2001 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750- cutoff by an illegal U-turner and totaled
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen... R1s are a hot commodity, huh? any anti-theft system suggestions?

Current: 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1

BenSmith

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: speeding ticket in Weymouth

Proves that gear has an impact on the outcome of a stop sometimes.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I'd say the same thing to you about your girl. You let her on the bike, she's your responsibility. I'm telling you now, you're not gonna get any sympathy here.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

In hibernation

Fuck that.. you're totally in the right dude. Fight that shit till that asshole cop starts crying. I dont buy this shit 'gear gets you off....'... bullshit... I've been stopped plenty of times with no gear on (no helmet, no jacket,no long pants... and its ultimatly nature of the violation, location, attitude and respect. (Given, it sounds like your cop expected respect that he couldnt return)...You just got fucked... but sounds like (at least by NH standards) that if he didnt check radar or pursue at a specific speed he has nothing. I do think MA allows cops to 'estimate' tho (any Mass guys chime in on this?).

One thing I do (and I know its probably illegal) is program the sound recorder on my cell phone to a special speed dial key... whenever i get stopped (or any other incident that may escalate), I just hit that speed dial key and let the recording begin.... let his attitude and lack of respect be heard!

Lifer

19 and showing it.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Where's that family guy clip of Brain rolling up the magazine and hitting Peter on the nose saying "BAD DOG!" when you need it?

If you got the bike 8 days ago you might have a grace period to get it inspected. After pissing a cop off, I doubt he'd tell the tough guys about that...and just write ya the ticket for it.

Though I disagree with your choice in attire, as well as the GF's, as long as you had helmets on (if they are required by law) then the cops had no business giving you crap about how you were dressed. You're old enough to make your own decisions. As for the gf, I'd tell her she'll be a whole lot more comfortable wearing full riding gear on a hot day than she will be with skin grafts...any day.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    If you got the bike 8 days ago you might have a grace period to get it inspected. After pissing a cop off, I doubt he'd tell the tough guys about that...and just write ya the ticket for it.

Though I disagree with your choice in attire, as well as the GF's, as long as you had helmets on (if they are required by law) then the cops had no business giving you crap about how you were dressed. You're old enough to make your own decisions. As for the gf, I'd tell her she'll be a whole lot more comfortable wearing full riding gear on a hot day than she will be with skin grafts...any day.
    You have 7 days to have a vehicle inspected after purchase.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

7 day grace period on a new registration to get the bike inspected.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    19 and showing it.
    Yup yup yup, please turn around and head back... trying to defend having your girl ride around without gear on? Seriously? If my fiance told me she didn't want to wear gear I would say "OK, stay home."

Appeal all you want but this type of activity only contributes to the persona that sport bike riders have, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post
    Fuck that.. you're totally in the right dude. Fight that shit till that asshole cop starts crying. I dont buy this shit 'gear gets you off....'... bullshit... I've been stopped plenty of times with no gear on (no helmet, no jacket,no long pants... and its ultimatly nature of the violation, location, attitude and respect. (Given, it sounds like your cop expected respect that he couldnt return)...You just got fucked... but sounds like (at least by NH standards) that if he didnt check radar or pursue at a specific speed he has nothing. I do think MA allows cops to 'estimate' tho (any Mass guys chime in on this?).

One thing I do (and I know its probably illegal) is program the sound recorder on my cell phone to a special speed dial key... whenever i get stopped (or any other incident that may escalate), I just hit that speed dial key and let the recording begin.... let his attitude and lack of respect be heard!

Dude, reread the story, and then remember this is being written by a 19 year old kid. I'm sure he was asking for it from the officer.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Yea my wife only wants to wear shorts flip-flops and a tank top when it is hot out as well. ride for you. Unless you get shoes, jeans and some kind of jacket on.

But I do enjoy other that want to wear shorts flip-flops and a tank top. So ride on if you so choose.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Posting Freak

I have very little respect for cops with disrespectful mouths but you have 7 days for the sticker, so thats strike one. as for speeding 21 over the limit, his word will carry more sting than yours. It sounds like he let his concern for the way your girlfriend was dressed get the best off him.(strike 2). The last thing you are a 19 yr old kid and running off at the mouth. (Strike3).
    Please let us know how your court date turns out.

Ps. There is nothing more sexy than a good looking girl with massive road rash.

Last edited by BigShel; 08-18-09 at 11:41 AM.

In hibernation

Eh... I know wha you're getting at... and being 31, I would have taken a totally different approach to the situation. However..... I absolutely would have spoken up to the officers' chuckling and snickering if he were doing that me.

He even admitted once the cop made the comments about his lady-friend he got mouthy... so by him recognizing that he earns a lot of respect in my book.

I see his point, though... We all have different attitudes. I mean...there are people on here that may just rub you the wrong way... it doens't mean you send them a computer virus. He and the cop just rubbed the wrong way, unlucky for him, the cop has a ticket book in hand and (IMO used it against his attitude, not his violation). I'm pretty sure if someone else were riding that bike, and had a differet approach to the cop, or just had better social chemistry a violation like that would likely warrant a warning more than a ticket.

Clearly the cop took the personality (and attitude) conflict personally and slammed the rider with a fine.

The true test is, how do you (rider) show up to court??? Personally I'm showing up in a shirt and tie and fully prepared to explain my case without insulting the officer but just by stating the facts. If you show up in a pair of skate shoes and jeans and start saying 'you did this/you said that'.. well that'll get you as far as the ticket + court fees!

Good luck buddy! (PS hit me up for a squid ride if you're ever in NH LOL )

Quote Originally Posted by kb1ioq View Post
    Dude, reread the story, and then remember this is being written by a 19 year old kid. I'm sure he was asking for it from the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigShel View Post
    There is nothing more sexy than a good looking girl with massive road rash.
    Don't forget the part about when she's in tears damn near 24-7, can't sleep, can't move, and it hurts to breathe. Oh not to mention those scars last a really really long time, if they ever go away.

It's funny, every girl that has been on my bike (all girlfriends for the most part) always asked for gear. I wonder what the difference here is?

-Alex

Eh... I know wha you're getting at... and being 31, I would have taken a totally different approach to the situation. However..... I absolutely would have spoken up to the officers' chuckling and snickering if he were doing that me.

He even admitted once the cop made the comments about his lady-friend he got mouthy... so by him recognizing that he earns a lot of respect in my book.

I see his point, though... We all have different attitudes. I mean...there are people on here that may just rub you the wrong way... it doens't mean you send them a computer virus. He and the cop just rubbed the wrong way, unlucky for him, the cop has a ticket book in hand and (IMO used it against his attitude, not his violation). I'm pretty sure if someone else were riding that bike, and had a differet approach to the cop, or just had better social chemistry a violation like that would likely warrant a warning more than a ticket.

Clearly the cop took the personality (and attitude) conflict personally and slammed the rider with a fine.

The true test is, how do you (rider) show up to court??? Personally I'm showing up in a shirt and tie and fully prepared to explain my case without insulting the officer but just by stating the facts. If you show up in a pair of skate shoes and jeans and start saying 'you did this/you said that'.. well that'll get you as far as the ticket + court fees!

Good luck buddy! (PS hit me up for a squid ride if you're ever in NH LOL )

Dude, believe me I don't agree with an officer giving anyone attitude ever. But you know what, if you're riding around with a back protector on and that's it. Your girl is hanging off the back in short shorts and a tank, and you're going 20+ over the limit?? I'm not saying the gear SHOULD change anything, I'm just saying it does.

Personally gear is a real sticking point for me, I'm all for making personal choices as far as when YOU ride, because you're controlling the bike. But letting your girl ride on the back without gear? Speeding? And then saying you can't make her do something? Again, real easy, no gear = no ride for you.

You give out respect far to easily. lol

You're a cocksucker. I realize that is a bit mean. Do I get respect now?

-Alex

In hibernation

Quote Originally Posted by kb1ioq View Post
    Dude, believe me I don't agree with an officer giving anyone attitude ever. But you know what, if you're riding around with a back protector on and that's it. Your girl is hanging off the back in short shorts and a tank, and you're going 20+ over the limit?? I'm not saying the gear SHOULD change anything, I'm just saying it does.

Personally gear is a real sticking point for me, I'm all for making personal choices as far as when YOU ride, because you're controlling the bike. But letting your girl ride on the back without gear? Speeding? And then saying you can't make her do something? Again, real easy, no gear = no ride for you.

Hey man... I agree to the point of knowing how much gear helps. It'd be nice if passengers had to take a safety class too (which will never happen), then Id say they're educated as to the dangers and over 18 let them do what they want.

Personally... When I carry chicks on the back of my bike... I always offer a helmet, encourage (and explain) long pants and shoes... thats me, and my passengers though..... and I'll be damned if I get discriminated againstfor not wearing gear thats not required by law.

It's all personal responsibility... I'm not sure the rider here would have written his post if he would have just received a ticket and the cop didnt bust his balls for his & her gear, no? Clearly he knew he was a little over the speed limit... I see his anger point being about the cop giving him shit for the gear when that has nothing to do with his violaion.

In hibernation

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    You give out respect far to easily. lol

You're a cocksucker. I realize that is a bit mean. Do I get respect now?
    Dude I had respct for you the night of sarges party when we were drinkin together lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    Amazingly enough

Then again just think what would have happened if you HAD been wearing gear. I swear I didn't get stopped twice this weekend because I WAS wearing gear. (and looked more responsible)

I am with everyone about the no gear no ride for the lady... then again if the owner of the bike has squidly gear on... (haven't we went over this?)
    I rode both Sunday and Monday in gear (Kevlar jeans are HOT) on the 998 with the pipes just under my ass. I know it was HOT but "I would rather sweat than bleed".

You can ride how you want and wear what you want and have your passengers do what they want. Just realize perception plays a BIG roll in how the general public and cops view sportbike riders.

Last edited by Doc; 08-18-09 at 02:59 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

What were their names?

CCS #31

I have never had to deal with a passenger that didnt want to wear all the stuff. I think I would probably tell em to sit it out, but thats a personal decision so your call.

As far as fighting the ticket, do like was said and show up looking respectable. Be polite. Say "your honor", "the officer" and "allegedly speeding". You will probably get wacked with the inspection sticker cause that is a rule they like to uphold. You might argue the speeding down to 10 over, which in this situation, would be a victory.
    Be sure not to get into it with the judge about gear. Remember, your money is on the line here, I would kiss some serious ass in that courtroom. Unless you really want to make a point for the other people in the courtroom (useless?), then by all means go down swinging!

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

I tried to imagine myself in the cop's shoes + your attitude and....

....I would've written you a ticket as well.

So wait, youre saying being a dick to the cop is a BAD idea?

Noted.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast