Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you split lanes?

Do you split lanes?

I guess the subject asks it all...I'm curious to see what others do.

If you split lanes, under what conditions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Do you split lanes?

I'm curious as well. I have yet to actually split lanes. I've scooted around ridiculously stupid stopped traffic, like people looking at accidents and such, but I stop in traffic and have yet to actually ride down the center. There I was cooking in construction traffic in middletown when a dude in a gsx-r blows by me riding down the middle with a chick on the back. And I sit feeling kind of like a goon.

I think I've been too protective of my clean record so far to have as much fun on my bike as I could. If a cop catches you doing it, it's a lane violation ticket automatically, right?

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Do you split lanes?

Yes, but only under certain conditions.

In the city of Boston...
    -it's illegal
    -but if I'm stopped at a traffic light, know there aren't any cops around, I memorized the traffic light cycling pattern, there's plenty of space (ie. kenmore square) and I want to get to the front so I can get ahead of traffic (as a safety concern, or to cool off the bike), I'll do it...very slowly...and remain very aware of my surroundings
    -traffic on the mass ave bridge sucks...if there's enough space on the right side (as there usually is), I'll slowly go forward to get to beacon street

Outside of Boston...
    -I have to be late, aware of traffic signal cycling, near the front of stopped traffic, and sure there aren't any cops around.

Other than that, no. I use a lane just like everyone else.

Do you split lanes?

Ive been ridng since 1986, and while I dont make a habit of it, I do split under certain conditions. Such as heavy city traffic, and heading down rte. 3 to the Cape, or any highway, but only when its hotter than hell, and traffic is crawling. And when I do, I only go a bit faster than the traffic, and most important, as I approach each car, Im doing several things...watching head movement of the cage driver to see if theyre ready to move into my lane innocently, or to fuck with me cuz I'm moving, and they aint!!! So I look for the car to angle and I know its likely to be changing lanes. I cover my front brake lever with 2-3 fingers. Finally, I look further ahead at times, and back behind me, using my mirrors only so I can still track whats happening in front of me, looking for the LEO, so I can hop back into a lane til I get past him. Use your best judgement of when to do it, and at a safe pace. Hope my advice helps!!

Do you split lanes?

Originally posted by greenmonster
    Ive been ridng since 1986, and while I dont make a habit of it, I do split under certain conditions. Such as heavy city traffic, and heading down rte. 3 to the Cape, or any highway, but only when its hotter than hell, and traffic is crawling. And when I do, I only go a bit faster than the traffic, and most important, as I approach each car, Im doing several things...watching head movement of the cage driver to see if theyre ready to move into my lane innocently, or to fuck with me cuz I'm moving, and they aint!!! So I look for the car to angle and I know its likely to be changing lanes. I cover my front brake lever with 2-3 fingers. Finally, I look further ahead at times, and back behind me, using my mirrors only so I can still track whats happening in front of me, looking for the LEO, so I can hop back into a lane til I get past him. Use your best judgement of when to do it, and at a safe pace. Hope my advice helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Do you split lanes?

Yes.

Everywhere I go I ride like a complete asshole.

Do you split lanes?

nope

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Do you split lanes?

I did once. I was with my buddy and we were traveling down Storrow Drive. My lane got jammed up with traffic but my buddies lane wasn't and I was unable to make the lane change in time.

So he got way ahead of me and he knew how to get to where we were going so I needed to catch up to him.

Once all the lanes were jammed up and no one was moving I rode right down the dotted white line until I caught back up with my friend.

Do you split lanes?

I have been splitting under traffic conditions where it is dead stopped or stop & go with the "go" part being < 20mph. I try to keep my speed < 15+ the rate of traffic. I have yet to run into someone blocking me, finger, spitting, etc.

At the end of the day though I am just thinking about the benefits vs. the risks. I find it so hard not to take advantage of it when it's 90+, I am in full gear with back protector, stopped in the sun in the middle of 3 miles of traffic.

Another reason I am considering throwing in the towel....

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Do you split lanes?

personally i do not feel safe sitting in bumper to bumper traffic...good way to get creamed...a moving target is harder to hit

From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

Do you split lanes?

Originally posted by Jenn B
    Yes.

Everywhere I go I ride like a complete asshole.
    +1, but I'm pretty much serious.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Do you split lanes?

very very rarely. the only cases i can think of at the moment is when i get split up from a group of friends.

when i'm stuck in traffic, i keep a close eye on the mirrors and ride near a line so i can quickly pull up between the cages should someone behind me decide they don't want to stop.

if it's hot out and i'm riding with a more squidly friend (like sedition), i may follow em when they split - though slower and watching the cages carefully.

Do you split lanes?

I only ride in the city (not hardcore downtown Boston) so I do split lanes at a light. However, I split lanes at a right turn only when I know the light won't change back to green in a second. I almost got caught in some moving traffic the other day and that sucks, since you have to stop and then try to get back in the lane. My bike is way narrow, though, so I can split where others can't.

Never done it on the highway but I would do it if I were getting off at an exit and cars were backed up.

Littering and........

Do you split lanes?

I do if its hot out and I dont feel like waiting in a traffic jam.

Usually I rip a wheelie while doing so. I do not know why.

Do you split lanes?

Absoluteley never.

risk of roadrage is too much. Plus its not legal in the first place and I don't ride in high traffic areas.

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Do you split lanes?

hell, i do it with my cage!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Do you split lanes?

On some freeways in LA, if you don't split lanes, you get fined. Traffics is THAT bad out there. And bikes not moving just make more unmoving traffic.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Do you split lanes?

Well yesterday after I left bike night, I was on I-291, and there was a very long lane of traffic, moving really slowly. There was construction on a big part of the route with big trucks one behind another...so I hop on the shoulder lane and proceed slowly (but a little faster than all those slow almost stopped cars) to move to the next exit. I hear my cell phone ringing so I stop the bike to take the call. A cop pulls behind me...and come walking to me asking me what the hell I'm doing on the shoulder and to get back in traffic. He didn't give me a ticket or anything but apparently I was not allowed to do that... (by the way, not sure if you consider that lane splitting?)

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Do you split lanes?

Originally posted by MissTwisties
    Well yesterday after I left bike night, I was on I-291, and there was a very long lane of traffic, moving really slowly. There was construction on a big part of the route with big trucks one behind another...so I hop on the shoulder lane and proceed slowly (but a little faster than all those slow almost stopped cars) to move to the next exit. I hear my cell phone ringing so I stop the bike to take the call. A cop pulls behind me...and come walking to me asking me what the hell I'm doing on the shoulder and to get back in traffic. He didn't give me a ticket or anything but apparently I was not allowed to do that... (by the way, not sure if you consider that lane splitting?)
    you make my hair hurt

Lifer

Do you split lanes?

Originally posted by bigred875
    you make my hair hurt
    stop quoting her, jesus. i have an ignore list (that is filling up) for a reason, you're wasting valuable screen space.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Do you split lanes?

I wonder how much money it would take to make her go away forever????

Littering and........

Do you split lanes?

Originally posted by Jenn B
    I wonder how much money it would take to make her go away forever????
    Shall we take a collection?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Do you split lanes?

wtf. I saw two other motorcycles doing the same shit way far ahead of me, didn't think it was any big deal. Shoulder lane = the lane on your right side where sometimes cars pull over, right?

And by the way, I NEVER stopped on the side of the road to take a call on my cell phone before while riding, but right now something REALLY SERIOUS is going on and I stopped to take the call because of that. I was only answering the question about lane splitting here. I always thought of lane splitting being either going in between two lanes of cars, or riding on the side of the road (on the shoulder) to pass slow traffic.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Do you split lanes?

In the city, its an essential mental and sometimes physical survival skill. I do it all the time except when with other riders.

Its good way to get away from brain dead drivers.

Outside the city I feel more obligation to be courteous. So its case by case.

Do you split lanes?

Who really fucking cares?

Half of the posts on this board irritate me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast