Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Splitting Lanes in California?!?!

Cool Splitting Lanes in California?!?!

HEY!
    Thanks everyone again for the warm welcome! So here is what I wanted to ask you all about..

The weirdest thing for me moving to California was that lane-splitting and passing on the right is LEGAL here!.. First I thought "I will never do that, it is so dangerous.." Then once I got here and got my bike, I just started lane splitting all over the place.. Its a big help going through bumper to bumper traffic, but you have to be so careful. It is really exhausting!

So I'm wondering, WHY is it legal here in California and not back in Massachusetts? Is there a rationale for the discrepancy?

Also, what do you all feel about lane-splitting? Wish it were legal in Mass, or glad its not?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wouldn't You Like to Know...
    2001 R6
    president,
    http://www.curveunit.com
    all-female sportbike crew

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Safe lanesplitting/sharing hould be legal and welcomed by all motorists everywhere. Most people around here see it as the bike rider being a dickhead. I see it as being part of the solution, instead of the problem. Safe lanesplitting is encouraged and expected pretty much everywhere in the world except the 49 US states that aren't CA.

I don't do it because it really pisses people off here. Last thing I need is a pissed off person in a car out to get me on my bike.

Yeah, I agree completely...
    WHY is it that is illegal everywhere in the U.S. with the exception of California?

I have heard that it is to encourage more motorcycle riders because of the huge number of cars, the traffic, pollution...
    Here in the Bay Area, motorcyclists also have the benefit of always riding in the carpool lanes, and not having to pay bridge tolls during carpool hours..

2001 R6
    president,

I hate riding in heavy traffic anyways.. commuting is no fun at all. I have a headache by the time I get to where I'm going because of concentrating so hard on lane-splitting safely and carefully.

Best ride is to get out into the canyons and twisties where you usually don't have to deal with the hordes of cars!

(FYI - here in California riders have developed a set of "paybacks" for drivers who try and cut them off or run them over or off the road.. these include kicking off their mirrors, kicking their car, or carrying ball-bearings which can be thrown over one's shoulder and will crack the windshield of the car behind you...)

LOL... I don't know about all that.. I tend to believe in Karma, and just let it go, take a deep breath and move on with my ride.

ALthough I will admit to kicking one guy's mirror after he almost killed me. (Thats another story for another day)

2001 R6
    president,

Wait, you guys are saying I am not supposed to do that? Damm..... I thought it was fine. Plus if that traffic is that bad who the heck is gonna catch ya?

Bruce

Originally posted by mycirus
    Wait, you guys are saying I am not supposed to do that? Damm..... I thought it was fine. Plus if that traffic is that bad who the heck is gonna catch ya?

Bruce
    LOL
    Well, technically it is illegal in all states except California... but I suppose states vary in how much they enforce it... Good point about how are they going to catch you? Well, if the cops see you, you probably won't be splitting fast enough to avoid letting your plates be taken down.....
    And then, would you be in deep shit for fleeing the scene, or fleeing an officer? LOL I dunno..........

"Hey you up there on the bike splitting lanes! Pull over!! I can't catch up to you because of all this traffic, but pull over..."

"Yeah, right officer.....:

2001 R6
    president,

Originally posted by mycirus

Bruce

mycirus, you're from whitinsville, I gots some family up there on me maddas side.... me last name Rhodes

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Originally posted by Sixxie
    WHY is it that is illegal everywhere in the U.S. with the exception of California?
    Just another form of taxation and state revenue, in the form of fines $$$$$$$……

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

I believe that cops started to do it out there and the citizens said, "Hey! If they can do it we can too!" but I don't know if that's true or not.

I wish it was legal here.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Originally posted by SEVENSGT
    mycirus, you're from whitinsville, I gots some family up there on me maddas side.... me last name Rhodes

Don't know that name but my brother said he has heard of it. As far as getting caught splitting I was on the cetral artery last year and came up on a statey. Lets just say that I stopped splitting and didn't pass him. I did eventually get leagally next to him and he didn't say anything to me.

Bruce

Banned

I used to live in "the valley" (LA) and found out from a CHiP why lane splitting is legal in CA.

The CHiPS like to ride side by side, so they got a law passed that said that lane "sharing" (not splitting) is legal. Two vehicles can share a lane if they both fit in the lane. Lanes on CA highways are wider than other states also.

The law says that it is at the officer's discretion as to whether you are lane sharing too fast. The general rule is that traffic must be travelling at less than 30mph and that you must not split lanes at more than 15mph faster than general traffic is travelling.

I have tried to keep up with a CHiP on the highway, splitting lanes at about 90MPH with traffic travelling at about 55 and when he turned off the highway after about 10 miles he just looked over and waved to me.

CHiPs are WAY COOL to motorcyclists, at least in the LA area from my experience.

degs

Lifer

I'd like to see them explain why it's legal for a bicyclist to do it and not a motorcycle. There is no good reason.

I do it like crazy on my bicycle. It feels retarded not to be able to do it on the motorcycle when the cars are backing up and you can/could just ride up to the front and get on with your life. I do it if traffic is stopped really badly. No way I would do much over 20mph though. And as soon as the cars start moving at all I merge back in.

Any cager that gets pissed about it is a 'tard. If you have a problem with someone else getting ahead in traffic by choosing a smaller/more environmentally friendly vehicle, nothing is stopping you from getting one. It's not like you have to be special to get a bike.

Ben

I Dance With Will

yea what you said benSV. i dont see why you couldn't do it at stop light if there's room. when the cars are moving it just doesn't feel right because most of us knows there are just too many dumb drivers around here. i've seen it plenty when driver try to change lane with a car right next to them because they dont check blind spot. oops!

"fuckit!"

Any cager that gets pissed about it is a 'tard. If you have a problem with someone else getting ahead in traffic by choosing a smaller/more environmentally friendly vehicle, nothing is stopping you from getting one. It's not like you have to be special to get a bike.
    Mom says I'm a special boy and that's why I always have to wear my helmet.

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Mom says I'm a special boy and that's why I always have to wear my helmet.
    ...and why you also ride the short bike

What the hell is that thing in your avatar?

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    What the hell is that thing in your avatar?
    Glad you asked. Please allow me to let some other guy with lots of time on his hands explain:

The Broflovski's await the arrival of Kyle's cousin from Connecticut who is also named Kyle. As a result, Kyle's mother starts calling him Kyle 2 and the cousin is just known as Kyle. Mr. Garrison gets fed up with airlines and decides to do something about it. Kyle 2 realizes that when his stereotypically Jewish cousin Kyle meets his friends and Cartman he is going have trouble. He tries bribing Cartman with $40 to be nice, but it doesn't last for long. Mr. Hand's offhand comment about Enrique Iglesias' gyrating ass, gives Mr. Garrison an idea for his new form of transportation, IT.

High power investor's arrive to see what Garrison's invention is all about. Kyle 2 tries to teach Kyle about sports and Cartman tries to talk his way out of the concentration camp comment he made in class about Kyle. Mr. Garrison unveils IT to the investors, including Kyle. IT is a gyroscopic cycle that requires the rider to use four flexi-grip handles. Two of the handles the rider holds onto with their hand, another requires the user to place their mouth over to operate the turn signals and the last one require the rider to insert into their anus, so that they can be held in place. Kyle 2 is worried that his stereotypical cousin is going to give Jews a bad name in South Park, so he and the others try various schemes to send him back to Connecticut.

IT becomes a hit with public, so much so that the airline industry starts hurting and the government steps in, making IT illegal. Kyle returns from the latest attempt by Kyle 2 and the others to get rid of him, to receive $5 million as a bail out for his IT investment. Suddenly the boys try to think of the lesson that they learned that can then use to keep him around.

glad I asked

I have tried to keep up with a CHiP on the highway, splitting lanes at about 90MPH with traffic travelling at about 55 and when he turned off the highway after about 10 miles he just looked over and waved to me.

CHiPs are WAY COOL to motorcyclists, at least in the LA area from my experience.

degs [/B][/QUOTE]

HAHA.. Not in the Bay Area... CHPs HATE us, absolutely. Bu that is probably due to the fact that 9 times out of 10 the rider takes off at high speeds when they try to pull them over...

I have gotten pulled over a couple times, but I think they are more partial to women riders, and I have not been ticketed (knock on wood)..

You are right about the lane sharing concept. If traffic is under 40 mph, you are allowed to lane share, and pass on the right.

And roads in California ARE wider; I have noticed that as well!

But the CHPs are crazy , too. A friend of mine was riding over the Bay Bridge, with traffic, and this CHP on his bike moved over so close to him and was literally colliding with his bike at 65 mph, pushing him over.... Talk about dangerous riding!!!! On the Bay Bridge of all places!!!! The bikes were actually bumping into each other.. Interestingly, the CHP officer didn't even try to pull my friend over afer that... I think he must have realized his actions and that he could be sued..

A little off track, sorry

2001 R6
    president,