Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sport bikes and charity rides?

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

Charity rides are almost always cruisers. Why dont sport bikes ever go to them? The easy answer is the bad-blood between the two groups (that's a whole different thread). However, in the face of that why dont sport bike riders ever orginize their own charity rides?

anyone care to attempt an answer?

-sedition

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

Sportbike people just don't care and are incredibly self-centered.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Originally posted by Karaya One
    Sportbike people just don't care and are incredibly self-centered.

I'd tend to agree, but I'd plop the word "most" in front of that statement to make it a bit more accurate. Either that, or replace "sportbike people" with "squids", then it will jive.

see ya,
    DJD

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

I tried to organize a toys collection a long time ago...didn't work out so well.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

honestly I think the hangup on this one is with the sportbike riders.

Ive been on large group rides, and motorcycle club rides and never got any crap on my bike. Hell I got more trash talk on my katana from sportbike riders than I ever did from a cruiser guy.

There are some problems between the two groups, but sportriders as a group need to get over it

I hadn't realized this was such an issue, being new to the whole game. But my dad did a few charity poker runs last year and I was looking forward to joining him this year.

Maybe sportbikes don't go because it's perceived that they will be slow, organized rides, where I think it's safe to say many sportbike riders don't "do" slow?

*shrug*

When it comes to charity rides... I don't think there is a problem at all with sportbikes and cruisers mixing.

I agree that most sportbikes stay away because they think it will be a big slow group of harleys.

Also... it's not exactly comfortable to ride at slow "parade" speeds on a sportbike.

One thing I've noticed... most Harley guys now adays don't mind the sportbikes as much as they do the metric cruisers.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Every year I run the Nelson's Ride (http://www.nelsonsride.org/home.html). Quite honestly I have tons of fun on the ride even though you barely exceed 35mph. I meet up with a group of friends with an assorted mix of almost every type of bike and we ride together in a cluster. Just watching the people who line the road is fun. Little kids love the sportbikes since there was all of 5 of us out of over 1000 motorcycles. Every couple of miles or so, you would come across a Hardly Ableson either broken down or out of gas. Then there are the impatient cagers trying to get somewhere cutting into the parade line only to find out the hard way from the numerous police along the route that it is against the law to do so. Much hilarity ensues.

All an all it is a great time and I look forward to it every year.

First I am sorry "Charity Rides" are just more of the "Look at me I am significant"

I give to Charity and I ride motorcycles.

The elephant is that every sportbike ride everyone exceeds the speed limit in the 1st 2.9 seconds.
    2nd If you make it a rally or poker run the cops would be on the 3rd bike and everyone there after.

Now maybe a destination barbeque or campout where a portion of the proceeds went somewhere might work.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

I have never witnessed this ballyhoo nonsense of bad blood on charity rides. Sure they are dominated by cruisers, but I always see a fair number of sportbikes. It's all good in the hood. I don't see a damn thing wrong with combining one's love for motorcycles with one's willingness to give to charity.

p.s. - I have never seen an elephant on a sportbike.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

My great passion is distance running, it is a competative event to me and being as fast as I can is important. People ask if I ran the Marathon, I respond, no I raced the Marathon. Why do I tell you all this?

Almost all road races these days benifit some wonderful cause or another. It starts to annoy me after a bit, to me this is an athletic event. I never do the team in training, collect money for a race stuff. I prefer not to mix what is to me a primarily athletic endevor with raising money. Joggers are interested in fitness, socializing etc, if they also benifit some cause all the better.

I suspect that sportbikers are similar, they are interested in performance, being fast and skillful. Cruiser riders enjoy the ride, like the social aspects a charity ride fits the profile. I'm guessing that if a sportbiker has a day for a ride, and wanted to raise charity money, they'd write a check then head for the nearest twisties/trackday.

Lots of things make sense here in what I'm reading. I for one, prefer to give to charity on my own. And yes I do so. I also help from time to time someone in need, like this mother and her 2 children (one comes to my daycare), I furnished their whole house, got them clothes and toys, a washing and drying machine, some grocery, and it cost me very little to do all that. And what a feeling it gave me tho, to help.

But when I talk about "a ride", I don't want it to be being stucked in a big crowd, going slow, feeling my body heating up quick under the killing sun, and not being comfortable in a seating position without being able to move around quick. I am social, but not "that" social...lol That's why you won't see me often downtown Springfield on a weekend night, on my bike. If I'm out there riding, you can bet I'l get out of the city, far away from people, crowds, and noise. I want peace, I want to relax and let my spirit go somewhere far from here.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

I'm guessing that if a sportbiker has a day for a ride, and wanted to raise charity money, they'd write a check then head for the nearest twisties/trackday. [/B]
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me.

I do a charity run and cycling event. Can't picture a lot of inked-up harley guys pedalling 100 miles in spandex shorts for charity.

(sorry for the visual)

I Dance With Will

Originally posted by MissTwisties
    Lots of things make sense here in what I'm reading. I for one, prefer to give to charity on my own. And yes I do so. I also help from time to time someone in need, like this mother and her 2 children (one comes to my daycare), I furnished their whole house, got them clothes and toys, a washing and drying machine, some grocery, and it cost me very little to do all that. And what a feeling it gave me tho, to help.

im in need. so what can you donate. i see you can do laundry.

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

if cruisers don't do charity ride, then they don't hve any good reason to ride.

"fuckit!"

You're a big boy, I'm sure you will do fine.

Originally posted by Kham
    im in need. so what can you donate. i see you can do laundry.

Originally posted by katana0215

Ive been on large group rides, and motorcycle club rides and never got any crap on my bike. Hell I got more trash talk on my katana from sportbike riders than I ever did from a cruiser guy.
    I'm confused, why would a Katana rider get trash talk from other sportbike riders?? What hairs are being split in this comparison?? I've always assumed a Katana was a sportbike, in fact it was what I was looking to buy before I found the more touring geared features of the Bandit/GSF-S.

Either way, sounds like pure ignorance is to blame in that situation. I see everyone, regardless of ride, a motorcycle enthusiast and appreicate that quality first and foremost.

I ride with two other guys in my office, one is on a Harley Road King. The other guy has a metric cruising Suz Intruder 1500. I imagine I'd be doing a whole lot of riding by myself if I wanted to be such a dick that I want to keep myself seperate from those who don't like exactly what I like.

Go figure.

see ya,
    DJD

Originally posted by Zorlock
    I'm confused, why would a Katana rider get trash talk from other sportbike riders??
    cuase they aint as hawdkoah as a gixxah with flip-flops, yo. dat's why.

LISTEN TO SLAYER

I'm confused, why would a Katana rider get trash talk from other sportbike riders?? What hairs are being split in this comparison?? I've always assumed a Katana was a sportbike, in fact it was what I was looking to buy before I found the more touring geared features of the Bandit/GSF-S.

Either way, sounds like pure ignorance is to blame in that situation. I see everyone, regardless of ride, a motorcycle enthusiast and appreicate that quality first and foremost.

I ride with two other guys in my office, one is on a Harley Road King. The other guy has a metric cruising Suz Intruder 1500. I imagine I'd be doing a whole lot of riding by myself if I wanted to be such a dick that I want to keep myself seperate from those who don't like exactly what I like.

Go figure.
    Hey, I agree with you. All Im saying is that sportbike riders will hate on a katana. Its not a true supersport anyway, and shouldnt be compared to a supersport, but people will hate on it anyway.

Im seeing a lot of generalizations about cruiser riders here too, and people need to be carefull with that. Not all cruiser riders are into going slow and enjoying the ride, just like all sportbike riders dont do wheelies and stoppies all over the place.

I ride with a group of "cruiser" riders that are serious speed freaks

Hey....people are haters of the 250 also...that wouldn't keep me from going on any rides!!

Im seeing a lot of generalizations about cruiser riders here too, and people need to be carefull with that.

I posted the following at SBW regarding the same issue (generalizations about HD / cruiser riders). Alebit, the other site was making far worse coments than anything I've seen here, but nevertheless...

-sedition
    _________

I hope that I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this thread. Everyone is bashing on HD riders for trying to be "bad-ass", yet no one has said a word about the same wanna-be idiots who ride sport bikes (gixxa thugs with a zillion cosmetic aftermarket bling-things, none which help with performance, pussy strips a mile wide, no helmet, no shoes, no shirt, etc). Most of what everyone bashes on HD riders for is their "holyier than thou" attitude, which is also all I see in these posts.

pot. kettle. black.

it's about the ride, not the ride. anyone one on two wheels should get respect from a fellow biker. My R1 goes faster than a Sportster. It turns better, and has modern technology. Big fucking deal. If homeboy on his HD wants to ride an "american classic", good for him. I hope he has a great time with it. My in-line 4 is no reason at all to think I am more modern, and thus better, than him. His 1940's V-Twin is no reason to think he is more "authentic" than my rice-burner. If *riders* (of any style bike) would just get over their own fucking ego's then their would be no enemies on any side.

-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER

Hey, I agree with you. All Im saying is that sportbike riders will hate on a katana. Its not a true supersport anyway, and shouldnt be compared to a supersport, but people will hate on it anyway.
    Ok, I'm not up on what makes a "true supersport" but, what - ever. I must really be an easy target to hate on my Bandit then if Katana's are easy to hate. She f#$in' moves though.

My take is that if one needs to make fun of other people's interests, then that just tells me that this person has some serious self esteem problems and not much of a mind of their own. Basically, not a person I'd want to hang out with for long.

Peace, out.

.....listen to System of a Down

see ya,
    DJD

Originally posted by MissTwisties
    Hey....people are haters of the 250 also...that wouldn't keep me from going on any rides!!
    I *heart* 250's. If I had the money to get a second bike I'd get a 250 in a second. They are one of the few sport bikes that you can really tap-out to their potentialon the street (and that = fun!). I *always* talk to riders on 250's cuase I'm actully really jealous of those bikes. hah. it's so funny becuase people always think I'm being be sarcastic with them when I give their bike props.

-sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER

Originally posted by chr|s sedition

pot. kettle. black.

it's about the ride, not the ride. anyone one on two wheels should get respect from a fellow biker. My R1 goes faster than a Sportster. It turns better, and has modern technology. Big fucking deal. If homeboy on his HD wants to ride an "american classic", good for him. I hope he has a great time with it. My in-line 4 is no reason at all to think I am more modern, and thus better, than him. His 1940's V-Twin is no reason to think he is more "authentic" than my rice-burner. If *riders* (of any style bike) would just get over their own fucking ego's then their would be no enemies on any side.

-chr|s sedition
    Best post of the day.....so far.

......listen to System of a Down

see ya,
    DJD

Best post of the day.....so far.

Ditto that.

I don't care what you ride... as long as your ride.

I wave to cruisers, katanas, 2-fiddy's... it doesn't matter.

Heck... some of my best riding friends have been cruisers.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast