Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sportbike ice racing?

Sportbike ice racing?

Hello, name is Brett, Albany NY, 50 yrs old, just posted in intro section so if you have any interest take a look.
    Im posting here because while I see some cool pics of sportbike ice racing, I havent found anywher that they are doing it. Is there anyone doing this in the Northeast, and if so where? I'd sure like to beat the snot out of a trackbike or two this winter. If no one is doing it locally, why? Would be easy enough if a handful of guys got together and one had a plowtruck.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Sportbike ice racing?

Go talk to the crazy bastards at Max BMW, they are near you in Troy I think. They have some vids floating around with a few of their guys riding all kinds of stuff on the ice. Not sure there is any organized racing though.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

how about dirt bike ice racing?

they do it in sturbridge

YouTube - ice races Sturbridge 2010 Part 3

Will talk to BMW guys.
    We have alot of dirtbike ice racing locally and will probably do some but I have a trackbike that i would love to pound the crap out of on the ice! come on guys, how cool would it be to drag knee on ice?! And the biggest issue about a low side would be getting a ride back to the track after you finally stopped sliding across the track? There is a guy on a cbr1000 site that studded with tek screws from the inside pointed out with nuts and washers. I thinks snowmobile studs would be even better.

Lifer

We rock it on dirtbikes.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

We have some ama ice racing locally but I havent done it in 30 years! Is there a forum with ice racers on it? I have a handful of older dirtbikes and I'd like to figure out which would be best and how to set the bike up. I will be buying a set of Fredette Ice tires but I know they typically lower and regear amongst other things.
    still like to find a bunch of guys want to do some ice kneedragging. A guy on CBR1000RR site used $100 worth of screws washers and nuts and an old set of tires.Gotta be a few more squirrels out there interested?

I'm thinking that the SV on the Ice would be fun.

Any idea what they are using for traction products? They look like short snow mobile studs but I would think that they would lay over too much.

Maybe some Kold Kutters and foam inserts would work on my SlowAssSv.

We have a small pond that we play on with the CRF80 and the wheelers. I would like to find something that I could get out on with the CR or SV.

Both the one on the cbr1000rr site and the one Max BMW built used long sheetmetal screws from the inside with washers inside and out and nuts on the outside. The guy claims that 1000 screws,1000 nuts and 2000 washers was $104. This could be done with snowmobile studs but it would be expensive. will try to find pics.

Miss on you pister, go back off in your own jackyard! No ,I'm dot nyxlesic!!!

Ryan S. and a few other use Rains with ice screws works Killer..and from what I have read he is trying a world record for the fastest wheelie or endo on Ice...

Last edited by Pigman; 12-03-10 at 06:50 AM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I would think that you'd have to make sure that the screws clear the swingarm and the forks. I'm also assuming that he had to remove the front fender.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I thought the same thing and if you look at the pics of the R6 they really didnt carry the screws as far over the sidewall as I would like. I am going to try to use narrower wheels and tires and shorter screws on the sidewalls. I would really like to check the limits of lean angle using these screws. Might have to put skis on my frame sliders! Come on, no one else wants to try this, meet up somewhere and play?

Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'll try it with your bike.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Crazy.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post

Crazy.
    OK call me crazy, with all those studs, doesn't that ruin the integrity of the tire?

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    OK call me crazy, with all those studs, doesn't that ruin the integrity of the tire?
    You think?
    LOL, why you want to reuse them? Just being a punk! Yea, I'm sure it splits the belts all to hell, and dont think I'd use a street radial.I am going to use some puked out 209 race tires. It cant hurt them anymore than running screws into Kenda dirt tires and they put hundreds into the race tires for ama ice racing (look at fredettes). I'm gonna try this on an SRAD track bike I have. Will try it using some narrower tires so that I can get some studs on the sidewalls without hitting the forks or swingarm. Would even consider modifying the swingarm to clear the studs. There are some vids on you tube with Max BMW 1000rr on the ice but I'm not sure if it was lack of studs on the sidewall otr the 16K bike but he didnt throw it on his knee much. Sure would like to see someone else from the area try this with me. And, yes, you can ride mine if you want to come to albany, you'll get hooked and have to do it too!

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs182 View Post
    You think?
    LOL, why you want to reuse them? Just being a punk! Yea, I'm sure it splits the belts all to hell, and dont think I'd use a street radial.I am going to use some puked out 209 race tires. It cant hurt them anymore than running screws into Kenda dirt tires and they put hundreds into the race tires for ama ice racing (look at fredettes). I'm gonna try this on an SRAD track bike I have. Will try it using some narrower tires so that I can get some studs on the sidewalls without hitting the forks or swingarm. Would even consider modifying the swingarm to clear the studs. There are some vids on you tube with Max BMW 1000rr on the ice but I'm not sure if it was lack of studs on the sidewall otr the 16K bike but he didnt throw it on his knee much. Sure would like to see someone else from the area try this with me. And, yes, you can ride mine if you want to come to albany, you'll get hooked and have to do it too!
    Putting screws into Kenda dirt tires and 1/4" holes in a street tire are two completely different things.

Running a skinnier tire will require a skinnier wheel.
    Won't you have to space out the sprocket and rotor on the rear and the rotors on the front?

Sheppo, I am not argueing the validity of your point at all, just comment on how it compares what is already done regularly. Have you ever looked at a set of Fredettes? While that R6 may have 60 or 80 1/4" tec screws going thru them the AMA legal fredettes have hundreds of #10x1 5/8" screws going thru them. They are also grouped really tightly and probably do much more damage to the cords on the Kenda. Again, I think I would only use bias tires and keeping your point in mind, maybe 'punch' holes ratherthan drill so that thechords are spread instead ofdrilled thru?

Yes SV, you are correct. I am fortune enough to have a lathe, Bridgeport and surface grinder so spacers are not a problem. I would really like to get some studs out on the edge of the sidewalk

I was mearly making a statement no arguing on my point..

This is what sucks about this interweb thingy! I by no means thought you were argueing, rather just 'making the arguement that....' and I absolutely admire someone who looks deeply at things. The world is full of kids who are gonna put a corvette engine in a cbr or connect and electric motor to a generator and power the motor with the generator and get free power! Sheppo, I'd love to work with/brainstorm with you. So come on, build an ice sportbike! Lol

Oh, as a matter of fact Sheppo, my last 2 sentences were asking your opinion. Do you think it would be wise to try to push the screws thru a punched hole to try to spread the chords instead of drilling and tearing them?

Oh, as a matter of fact Sheppo, my last 2 sentences were asking your opinion. Do you think it would be wise to try to push the screws thru a punched hole to try to spread the chords instead of drilling and tearing them?
    I don't think you could push a bolt/screw through. I would use a snowmobile track cutter and hope for the best. I would think if you use large washers and tighten them down it might hold the cords good for one year. Hard to tell how it would hold up, I would check them after each day... I am thinking horsepower and actual hooking up ripping the tire to shreds. I am just thinking out loud and it might be nothing.

Lifer

Sheppo, I am not argueing the validity of your point at all, just comment on how it compares what is already done regularly. Have you ever looked at a set of Fredettes? While that R6 may have 60 or 80 1/4" tec screws going thru them the AMA legal fredettes have hundreds of #10x1 5/8" screws going thru them. They are also grouped really tightly and probably do much more damage to the cords on the Kenda. Again, I think I would only use bias tires and keeping your point in mind, maybe 'punch' holes ratherthan drill so that thechords are spread instead ofdrilled thru?
    Good luck with what you do.

In the comparison, fredette tires have a second tire lining the inside that the screws are secured to and do not penetrate, and those tires are also tubed, not tubeless.

How do you expect what you're making to preform when the ice isn't bare? We plow the snow off to get traction on the freddettes, without bare ice it gets slippery. Plowing for the power and speed of a sportbike will cover a lot of ground.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast