Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sportbike ice racing?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I would also think you would need some pretty thick ice since you're trying to support a 400+ lb bike as opposed to a bike half that wt.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Re: Sportbike ice racing?

*shrug* never ridden a sled on a lake?

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

What is a track cutter, some kind of hollow punch? I'm not too edumicated on sleds.
    Awesome, I too would use a liner and definitely a tube, I couldnt imagine getting air to stay in those tires with that many holes. As far as plowing goes, yes we would have to do a wide long, 10 or 12 turn track but most of my buds have plow trucks . I actually think with screws sticking out 1/2 to 3/4 inch it would hold pretty good traction even thru some snow. I've race on ice screws and they only stick out about a 1/4 and yes, clean ice only. This may be a total waste of time, tires may shred but I have to try it! Watch the Max BMW vid and look for the ice roadracing school vids from sweden and watch the guy on the GP bike dragging knee and backing it in at the same time. Looks like too much fun and great training for relaxing the pucker function in summer. Hey, other than gas for plowtruck , no trackday fee, and if I dont like turn 1B, I can plow a new one! Off course off camber and elevation changes are tuff!

Miss on you pister, go back off in your own jackyard! No ,I'm dot nyxlesic!!!

Lifer

I saw a guy on 600rr.net that fit a set of knobbies onto his sportbike, don't know if that would help. I think guys in sweden or switzerland do a lot of sportbike ice racing, if I remember right they had a school for it.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

I studded up a set of tires a couple yrs ago for my old ex500 track bike. Found some old 16" dirty tires. Then I screwed them with those gold screws you can get through Parts unlimited. that worked real well and the bike did good but the game warden busted me for being out on the river without an OHRV sticker, well because it is a street bike [ originally] not dirt they would not let me register it as an off road vehicle, and you are not suppose to ride a street bike in a off road environment without an OHRV sticker, even if it is registered for the street. WTF Cost me $133.00 plus court costs

many a biker have been ruined by a wife and a full time job

WOW!! Live free or die my ass! So, could you lay it over nice or did you have to back it in ala flat tracker? Ive got a dirtbike for ice, just wanta try it leaned over, could be tons of fun. your EX is pretty light, don't know that a 750 could pull it off with just golds or kold kutters?

Quote Originally Posted by vintage ex race View Post
    you are not suppose to ride a street bike in a off road environment without an OHRV sticker, even if it is registered for the street. WTF Cost me $133.00 plus court costs
    really? so if you had a street plated dirt bike, you can't ride it down the trails?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    really? so if you had a street plated dirt bike, you can't ride it down the trails?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Right I was told that if I wanted to ride a street registered bike on the trails I would also need a OHRV sticker, You can get a OHRV sticker for a factory manufactured on-off road bike. The game Warden gave me a chance to get the required registrations but the state would not issue a OHRV stickerfor a sport bike. ended up with a street registered track only race bike, and no OHRV sticker.

many a biker have been ruined by a wife and a full time job

hmm...dually noted...

in MA, a valid street plate = street and dirt

and a valid OHRV dirt plate = dirt

getting a street plate for a dirt bike in MA isn't easy (but can be done through loopholes), although I'm not sure where they draw the line for having a sport bike on a lake

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post

Crazy.
    Imagine the meat grinder if you go down and get your leg tangled in the tire?

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

That is one bent rim

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    I would also think you would need some pretty thick ice since you're trying to support a 400+ lb bike as opposed to a bike half that wt.
    You'd be surprised how little ice it takes to hold a lot of weight..if you look at it that way. It's not so much a weight issue as far as ice thickness goes that you look for with ice riding. 5 or 6 bikes/quads can easily chew up 4-5" of ice in a day. besides, the sport quads are in the 400lb range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I saw a guy on 600rr.net that fit a set of knobbies onto his sportbike, don't know if that would help. I think guys in sweden or switzerland do a lot of sportbike ice racing, if I remember right they had a school for it.
    It's popular in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland. A friend of mine sent me some video links last winter of sportbikes racing on the ice in Finland, looked pretty crazy. They also have 1 - 1.5 more months to the ice season than we do

Yamaha

Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16
    *shrug* never ridden a sled on a lake?
    No I haven't, ever ridden a motorcycle in 2ft of powder?
    Sled are designed to distribute weight to sit on top of the snow.
    So youre dispersing a 500# sled across 2 3ft skis and a 4-6ft by 2ft wide track.
    While a 400+# bike is putting all that weight in 2 spots that probably total 1 sq ft.
    It's the same reason why 3" of ice will hold you better if you're on skis then if you try to walk across it.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Mark, I was just thinking that dirt bikes are fairly light and even though atvs and sled weigh roughly the same as a sportbike, the weight is distributed better.
    As far as ice destruction goes, I can't imagine what a 115 HP sportbike will do.

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs182 View Post
    What is a track cutter, some kind of hollow punch? I'm not too edumicated on sleds.
    Basically it's a hollow drillbit to cut nice holes in a track...

Like this...

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

guess you will learn about the rear end stepping out
    YouTube - Sport Bikes - Ice Racing - From Cockpit

Great use for wasted rain tires
    YouTube - S1000RR on Ice - MAX BMW

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Thanx Sheppo, I think I need to own one of those. I use a similar type annular cutter, Hougan or Jancy, in a magnetic drill press to cut steel.
    Thanks for posting vids NT. I actually have 'learned about' the rear stepping out quite well! what this would do is just get one more comfortable with it stepping out. I had a couple extreme "stepouts" this year, one so violent that my inside foot flew off the peg and dragged my foot behind me! In all of the incidents I gathered it up without highsiding.I credit the saves to being 50 yrs old and too damn slow to react and lift and by the time I knew what was going on I had the bike back under me! I had taken a 20 yr hiatus from racing and must admit that when that one happened and I didnt choke I felt better about still being able to do it. I wasnt sure if my knowledge of the fact that I break easier now would scare me out of riding fast, but in fact every close call has made me a little more fearless.
    I digress! My point is that this would be just the best practice of alwaqys being on the edge of traction loss. the actual inputs required to regain control on the ice and pavement probably aren't the same, but the mindset and not crushing the tail section with my ass cheeks would be benifical. That first vid is awesome and could you image riding like that on the track?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12