Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Well, that sucks.. One thing I don't get: If this is a MA story about biker deaths in MA why do the justify the extra deaths on lack of helmet use? Its not even an option here.

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

well, murder isn't an option in MA either, but it gets accounted for when calulating number of annual deaths for state agencies...neither is "speeding" which is often considered a factor leading up to a moto death. i.e. if someone hadn't been breaking the law (re speeding, helmet use, or murder), then they would prolly still be alive.

"Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Good points, but how often do you see someone riding without a helmet in MA? Its not like its an epidemic. I know.. "How often do you see someone commit murder?"

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

the brain scoops? Ya, I agree. Whats the point?

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

i see a lot of guys down in the n.attleboro area riding around w/ no helmet on rt. 1. i'm assuming they're just heading to r.i. so they're not getting bothered by l.e., but still a moron decision in my opinion. i actually stopped to talk to this dude on an '04 gixxer who had his helmet strapped to the back of his bike... really nice paint job on it.... but he was just chillin with a pair of goggles on at a red light on rt. 1. apparently the helmet will still help as long as you've strapped it tightly to the back of your bike.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

This ones easy, it's cell phones, house wifes in SUVs and wrinkles in Town Cars.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup.....

Bike ownership is up too, no articles or mention about that though because that would eliminate the need for this story, right?.

Just write about the fact that there are more crashes recorded due to the unwritten fact that a lot more people are getting into the activity. Just another journalist justifying his/her existence.

see ya,
    DJD

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Not sure I understand that, from the article ownership is up 6.8%, deaths are up 75%. So it's not a stretch to say that something other than than an increase in bike ownership is the root cause. One thing that is statisticlly important is that for years the US MC death toll was 2500 and it jumped to 3600 or so the last decade. The big increase being riders over 40 on bikes larger than 1300cc, we know who that is.

It wouldn't surpirse me at all from what I observe on a daily basis that it's more realted to the latest habits of car drivers and their choice of rides. I've often seen people reading books in their cars and once saw someone reading the paper. Twice I saw people taking notes and underlining books on their steering wheel. I never saw this over five years ago, ever. I can spot someone on their phone now with vitrually 100% accuracy just from the way they are dirving. They weave in their lanes, speed up and tailgate, then slow down, never quite getting their speed right. Some recent studies are now saying driving on the phone increases you chance of an accident more than driving drunk. I believe that. It seems 1 out 4 people are on the phone. What's so freaking important?

The other day this stupid 23( guessing ) year old old chick was in her Honda tailgating me, on the phone of course. As if a 23 year old chick's position in life is so important that she needs to be in touch with someone at 8:15am. I'm in my car, not the bike, 495, 80 mph, packed traffic. She was driving horribly. Meanwhile all I can think of is great, I'm going to get rear ended, maybe killed, by some chick who's mad at her boy friend and didn't get a chance to yell at him enough last night, now she's calling him first thing in the morning becasue the poor slob needs to be awake and yelled at. Or better yet maybe she was making a new appoitment to get her nails done.

My old boss has a friend ( chick of course ) and she gets on the phone the second she gets in the car and talks the whole time, every time, until she gets where she's going. Why? Because she doesn't like to be alone. Oh, and she's like 45.

That's why.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Originally posted by ultraTwist
    This ones easy, it's cell phones, house wifes in SUVs and wrinkles in Town Cars.
    I'd be willing to bet that you are wrong,

most motorcycle fatalities are due to the riders own stupidity

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Originally posted by RandyO

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Yes, end the end that is true, you put your butt on that seat, you need to be paying attention and you need your skills as well.

But something is happening here because the number is changing after being very stable. That's why the article is making news, there's been a shift. Maybe you are saying the people who have been buying bikes the last several years are less smart then the people who used to buy them. On average of course.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

Originally posted by RandyO

19,000 more bikes on the road and 30 more didn't make it home. It doesn't say how many of those were passengers in the same bike accident.

Typically the accidents are failure to stop or single vehicles running wide in turns and striking stationary objects or oncoming vehicles. Can't exactly blame those on the cell phone soccer moms.

It's just a reminder to practice our emergency braking as much as we practice going fast.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

In response, how many people here would support mandatory driver TESTING, as in "do you know how to operate this (insert tonnage) vehicle" before you get your ignorant self behind the wheel. It really comes down to this. Well, and enforcement of the law. I vote for testing every 10 years.

Man, I am becoming a real hard-ass.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

I'll do one better, every five years! Eyesight tests should be done every two. In MA you renew your license every five years, and you can do it by mail every other time. This means that you only have to have an eye exam every 10 years! I'm sorry but anyones eyesight can change drastically in 10 yrs. Driving skills should be brushed up on and a test every five years would help with that.

I piss excellence!

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

How about this, I was taking my car in today and while the agent was handling the guy in front of me he asked for his license plate number. So he says, "I can't remember it, but you have better eyes than me it's right over there." So I look too. Now I'll never claim to have good eyesight but I could see the plate with no problem not the slighest effort or blurring, it was like 30 maybe 40 feet away max. The guy must have been blind, but he's on the road. Nuts.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

How about this, I was taking my car in today and while the agent was handling the guy in front of me he asked for his license plate number. So he says, "I can't remember it, but you have better eyes than me it's right over there." So I look too. Now I'll never claim to have good eyesight but I could see the plate with no problem not the slighest effort or blurring, it was like 30 maybe 40 feet away max. The guy must have been blind, but he's on the road. Nuts.
    shiiiiiiit.

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

I'd say that I really only trust like 25% of the people I know to operate a car safely, nevermind these giant fucking SUV tanks I see everywhere with the soccermoms on the cell phone inside.

"I can't even remember tomorrow!"

-- Currently bikeless, shopping around --

"Biker Deaths Up in MA"

How many riders are registered in MA? 300k+ and thats just the licensed ones.
    Last year there was 53 Motorcycle deaths in MA down from 60 the year before and are on pace to be even lower this year.
    http://www.bostonbiker.com/stats.htm

If you check the actual math the percentage of people getting killed on a motorcycle every year are going down.

So again its just another case of skewed statistics being used to stir up the peons about how dangerous motorcycles are.