Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

I present to you, SS LandWhale

Re: I present to you, SS LandWhale

I don't always to go bike week, but when I do, I let my Dad ride another of my ugly old bikes since he forgot to renew the reg on his FJR.

I present to you, SS LandWhale-kanc-jpg

At the McDonald's watching bumper to bumper traffic. All cruisers with a few Jicksahs thrown in.

I present to you, SS LandWhale-mcdonalds-jpg

Even with a full weekend of luggage and a ton of "first big ride" tools/spares/fluids for the bike, the thing swallowed a case of beer, two rotisserie chickens, breakfast for the next morning, cheese, crackers and various other groceries on the way to the condo. And she still wasn't full!

Averaged around 45-50mpg for the whole weekend, also having a radio was mint for droning along at old-man and cruiser pace the whole weekend.

12 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Rebuilt all 3 brake calipers and both master cylinders. Replaced all the brake lines with HEL Performance stainless braided lines.

She stops right and proper now. What a difference.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 07-30-18 at 08:19 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

New owner is taking her home tonight. I'll miss the big girl, especially now that she's mechanically all right and proper.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

That was quick... not even a whole year. What's the motivation for passing it on?

Say what? So soon?

Paul_E_D

Only time I ride it, or any of my other bikes, is to go back and forth to work. Just not enough time anymore to enjoy 3 bikes. I feel as though I work on/maintain them more than I ride them. With a wee one, it just doesn't make sense to take up storage/maintenance/financial resources to 3 bikes anymore.

My Dad's riding buddy took a shine to it and called dibs months ago if I ever decided to sell it. He's owned one decades ago just like it. He rides a Valkyrie and took it out for an 80 mile test yesterday. It'll still be around if I ever want to float down a river hauling coal in the future.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

You're down to just 2?! Wow!
    I completely get it. I've been looking at my herd the same way lately.

Although I'm such a pack rat I'll probably sit on half of them, just push them to the back of the garage and pretend they aren't there. Silly, I know.

It’s only silly if they’re worth a lot of money. If everything is relatively inexpensive, just it then away properly and save them for a sunny day.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Nice that someone gets back onto a bike they enjoyed, especially after you fixed it up. Just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    New owner is taking her home tonight. I'll miss the big girl, especially now that she's mechanically all right and proper.

I am shocked at how much I miss this bike. Really. It was just such a peach to ride/commute on.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I am shocked at how much I miss this bike. Really. It was just such a peach to ride/commute on.
    I am shocked how much I miss the updates to this thread when you had it. Not kidding.

Current: Looking.
    Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin, 2008 WR250X, 2012 FZ1, 2017 KTM SD-GT

Saw her riding the other way on my commute home today. New owner is lovin her. Glad I'll still be able to toss a leg over once in a while.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

making money back? how exactly does that work? a formula maybe (ive tried just outright lies but the truth always trips me up 35 motorcycles 45 years riding) made money on 1 bike, impulse buys/sells with people more savvy than i was combined with occasional delusional thinking on my part, i believe are to blame....will i stop? when im dead!!! need to attend a seminar or something....

Someone talk to me about gl1800’s.....

Cheap-ish ones.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Doeit. Promptly. Fantastic motorbikes. I love owning my big fat touring machine.

Out of passing curiosity, what passes as "cheap-ish"?

Lifer

Loved my 1800 F6b. Easy first saddlesore 1000 and many great trips.

2001-2017 GL1800s are all basically the same suspension, frame, motor.

In 2012 there was a slight redesign of the body work and some really minor improvements to the suspension bits.
    Around that time they also introduced the "tunkless" version (F6B).

They are generally available in 4 levels
    Level 1: Premium Audio
    Level 2: Level 1 + Nav and heated grips
    Level 3: Level 2 + ABS
    Level 4: Level 3 + Airbag

I put about 60k on the one I had. In that time I did tires, brake pads, 2 brake fluid swaps, 1 air filter change, 1 spark plug change, 1 valve adjustment, 2 fork rebuilds.

I know people that have put over a quarter million miles on them without any significant engine work.

Factory wet weight is 900ish pounds.

The most amazing thing about them, in my opinion, is torque delivery. At around 1800 rpm the bike produces 100fl-lbs of torque and it's pretty flat up to redline.
    The throttle response is so consistent it makes it incredibly ridable.

If you are interested in the 18+ models I'll point you at that thread, but I don't think they qualify as "cheap-ish".

With my avoidance of debt or leveraging large amounts of finite resources on a “toy”, cheaper is better, provided I won’t have to sink boku bucks into it making it right.

Saw an ‘03 for $5500 with 26k on it. Is that cheap?

I’m way outta the loop on semi modern Goldwing values.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

It's not a steal, but it probably isn't a bad deal for a low mileage bike like that. I recognize that 26k isn't considered "low miles" for most motorcycles, but it is for a Goldwing.

Mine (an 08 with 70k miles) ended up selling for I think $5600 (08 GL1800).

I'd try to dig in to the actual riding history. Has it been ridden in the past few years?
    It's a 17 year old bike. If you need to replace the brake lines, for instance, you're probably looking at close to a grand in parts.
    Because it's a goldwing forum, most of the listings at https://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/...ale-by-owner.6 are probably a little high, but it gives you some references.

Lifer

As a point of reference, I've got $1,400 into my $3,700 ST1300 (2004) with 17K on the clock.

Biggest item was new tires. I also had all the following done:

replace clutch and brake fluids (I checked, cleaned and lubed the pads and calipers myself and they were good. Lines also in good shape.
    Flush cooling system and check thermostat - hoses were all in good shape.
    valve check, one adjusted (currently an oil leak, but that'll get sorted out this week)
    obviously oil, filter, rear gear oil replaced by me.
    I went over all the electrical connections I could access, inspected, cleaned if necessary, re-taped where needed, all good.
    Fork seals in great shape, forks seems fine.

Worries - it's a 17 year old bike I plan on taking cross country.

Confidences - it's a Honda, fairly low-tech like the GW's you're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    It's not a steal, but it probably isn't a bad deal for a low mileage bike like that. I recognize that 26k isn't considered "low miles" for most motorcycles, but it is for a Goldwing.

Mine (an 08 with 70k miles) ended up selling for I think $5600 (08 GL1800).

I'd try to dig in to the actual riding history. Has it been ridden in the past few years?
    It's a 17 year old bike. If you need to replace the brake lines, for instance, you're probably looking at close to a grand in parts.
    Because it's a goldwing forum, most of the listings at https://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/...ale-by-owner.6 are probably a little high, but it gives you some references.
    Yes, been on that forum plenty with the OldWing Aspercream.

I don't mind working on a bike, but I'm just wondering if I would like it enough to justify the expense and labor required. Are GL1800's a total PITA to work on like the GL1200's?

I do all the work myself, so it's really just parts.

The other side of this is what I'd get out of it. With purchase and parts, that's halfway to a brand new KTM Duke 890r.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I never had a 12, or a 15, so I'm imagining a bit...

Most common things are actually pretty simple and straight forward.
    Things like tires, brake pads, oil / filter changes are consistent with, perhaps slightly more complicated than on most other sorts of bikes.

Installation of accessories often makes working on them a little harder. For example I installed a hitch, which meant that changing the rear tire is "somewhat" more complicated.
    I present to you, SS LandWhale-2012-08-12_12-49-23_746-a
    "Normal" procedure for rear wheel removal means removing a rear fender. With the hitch installed that's not really an option, so this is the option.
    Seems extreme, but then the wheel comes off by removing 5 19mm lug nuts, just like a car, so there's some simplicity as well.

Center stand makes front wheel / oil changes easy.

Other things are harder... Air filter change is probably 3-4 hours of work your first time. Anything that requires you to remove the "shelter" (all of the plastic when a normal fuel tank would be) is a PITA, but one that you do get used to and get better at.
    This is also true if you need to get the fuel tank out, the rear shock, or any number of things "in the middle" of the bike.
    It's not the end of the world, but you aren't swapping a shock in 20 minutes like you are on a sports bike.
    The maintenance schedule is pretty forgiving.
    I present to you, SS LandWhale-maintenance-jpg

Fred's dvds (https://wingstuff.com/products/33308...-for-2001-2017) (you can find them used) are really great at covering most anything you'd need to do. I sent mine to the new owner with the bike or you could have them.

For brake bleeding, I installed a set of speed bleeders, just because there are soooo many bleed points, but that makes it super simple to do.

One thing that many people worry about on "older bikes" is electricals. R/R and other stuff. I never had any electrical issues with the bike. It doesn't have a traditional R/R setup, but a real alternator. There are stories of them going bad, but they are pretty far between. I've run heated gear for hours on it and no problems at all. Original battery was at least 6, maybe 8 years old before I replaced it.

The new 890r, a year after you buy it is going to be worth 3/4, 2/3 of what you paid for it.
    This is going to be worth about the same... The "new" GLs have dropped the price of these some, but there are still a lot of guys out there who prefer this one to the "new" one, so it's not like there isn't a market for them.

I really loved mine, but I'm also older than you.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post

I really loved mine, but I'm also older than you.
    You underestimate my affinity towards a comfortable smooth bike that I can hustle with an entire shopping cart of groceries in. Practicality with a dose of fun is ageless.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

ST1300 surely meets that criteria. + you would get the NEW TO GOLDWING, an adjustable windshield that has been on the ST since 2004.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Lifer

I would love to sample an ST1300 someday. I've nearly bought one several times over the year.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678