Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 16 of 16

ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

  1. #1
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,374

    ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone


    The ST1300 I picked up in October and am prepping for a cross country trip just returned from Bettencourts where, among other tihngs, they did a valve check and adjustment.

    Now I have an oil leak. A Honda leaking oil? unheard of...

    It seems to be coming from a little "hole" on the lower right side of the engine.

    Gino!!!!

    ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone-st1300-jpg

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Lifer TIMMYDUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The 14th State Vermont
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Pin dowel missing ?

    Number 12 of the microfiche .

    https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...8411#sch611151

    I had to guess on the year .

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

  3. #3
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Pin dowel missing ?

    Number 12 of the microfiche .

    https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...8411#sch611151

    I had to guess on the year .
    Thanks, it's a 2004. #9 is an o-ring on my diagram. I will check it.

    The valve cover gaskets are all dry.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    439

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    So the dealer did adjustment and didn't notice the gaskets were shot? I'd have thought they would have prompted you for a new set just because given the age of the bike.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    So the dealer did adjustment and didn't notice the gaskets were shot? I'd have thought they would have prompted you for a new set just because given the age of the bike.
    They replaced them. There's apparently a pretty common issue with not putting some part of the center side gaskets in properly.

    It's Bettencourt's, they're good folks. I'd be shocked if they don't square it away.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    439

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    No experience with Bettencourts since the mid 90's. Good to hear there's confidence they'll make it right. Some of these small parts are a bit quirky to get in right.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Lifer nt650hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,525

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    https://www.st-owners.com/forums/thr...-source.83589/

    "There are two seals in the water pump. an oil seal and a coolant seal. My coolant seal is leaking a bit after sitting this cold winter. Just coolant. However if there is oil mix than the oil seal is leaking. If you replace one , you replace the other. I will be ordering the parts later this summer to rebuild my water pump. About 120 dollars in parts from Direct Honda. At the same time I am going to change the thermostat just because. My 03 ST has 76k on it. If you are getting leakage out of the square hole below the round water pump Weep hole, than you have a leak top side between the V of the heads."

    2 holes in the area:
    1 small one is the water pump tattle tale.
    2 The other one bigger one is a drain from the upper part of the motor in the V part. i had coolant coming from that hole. it turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the coolant line. i tightened them all up and now no more coolant leak.

    If Bettencourt's had to get into the V area and spill some oil it could be that. else it may be a gasket. That is a pretty good leak not to investigate. that is the water pump area.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

  8. #8
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    https://www.st-owners.com/forums/thr...-source.83589/

    "There are two seals in the water pump. an oil seal and a coolant seal. My coolant seal is leaking a bit after sitting this cold winter. Just coolant. However if there is oil mix than the oil seal is leaking. If you replace one , you replace the other. I will be ordering the parts later this summer to rebuild my water pump. About 120 dollars in parts from Direct Honda. At the same time I am going to change the thermostat just because. My 03 ST has 76k on it. If you are getting leakage out of the square hole below the round water pump Weep hole, than you have a leak top side between the V of the heads."

    2 holes in the area:
    1 small one is the water pump tattle tale.
    2 The other one bigger one is a drain from the upper part of the motor in the V part. i had coolant coming from that hole. it turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the coolant line. i tightened them all up and now no more coolant leak.

    If Bettencourt's had to get into the V area and spill some oil it could be that. else it may be a gasket. That is a pretty good leak not to investigate. that is the water pump area.
    Thanks! I actually spoke to Larry “igofar” on that board yesterday. We think it’s most likely the inboard side of the valve cover gasket is pinched. Should be an easy correction for Bettencourts.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Dropped the bike back at Bettencourts this morning. They will get it right, but when they checked the valves and adjusted one, they did not put in new gaskets....

    I’ve never tried to reuse a gasket...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Lifer nt650hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,525

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    yea. something was not put back correctly.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

  11. #11
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Bonus that I get half of may garage spaced freed up while they work on it!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    20,503

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    At least those valve covers are fairly well exposed. Should be a quick fix.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  13. #13
    Lifer nt650hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,525

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Bonus that I get half of may garage spaced freed up while they work on it!
    I know the feeling.

    Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

  14. #14
    Super Moderator OreoGaborio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    MA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    37,460

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Bonus that I get half of may garage spaced freed up while they work on it!
    Only half?

    Damn... that's gotta be a huge ass garage.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Pete LRRS/CCS #82 - ECK Racing, TonysTrackDays, Ironstone Ventures
    GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Phoenix Graphics | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media

    The Garage: '03 Tuono | '06 SV650

  15. #15
    Lifer SteveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    “There’s this mat near the throttle bodies, and I didn’t clear it from the valve covers when I put them back on and it got pinched.” The tech who did it, and fixed it, came out as soon as I pulled around.

    Occam’s razor, the most frequently cited and common issue.

    All set, and any snug in the garage again...

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Hypertarded
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,259

    Re: ST1300 oil leak - Gino to the red phone

    That's a rarity these days, someone actually taking responsibility, I'd ask for that tech next time.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •