Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Q Starz BT-Q10000EX with a Mac?

Posting Freak

Q Starz BT-Q10000EX with a Mac?

Anyone get this to work on a Mac?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Q Starz BT-Q10000EX with a Mac?

you'd have to use bootcamp or something else that lets you run Windows. so really you're still just using windows

Bootcamp or parallels is required. I have it running on my MBP and have for quite a while but you have to run it under windows. Bootcamp works more consistently than parallels for some reason. I think it has to do with the usb port sharing when you're running windows as a vm.

Posting Freak

Does running Bootcamp mess up the Mac at all.? Is it difficult to install? As you can tell I have no idea about this. Here's my goal: download vids from contour then use data from QStarz with Race Render overlays. So last year I bought an old PC and was able to do it-- kind of -- the video was so slow that it didn't work out!! I was hoping that race render would put out a Mac version, which they have. But I forgot that the Qstarz only works with Windows!! So once again, I'm screwed!!

Lifer

No, it does not mess up the mac. It does take disk space as you must install windows to a different partition on the hard drive. The Boot Camp Assistant can help you resize your main partition(s) automagically.
    Installation is about as difficult as installing windows ever is. Mostly I just find it time consuming because of all the farkin' updates.

I have given up on parallels. Tired of paying for it and seemingly never having the right version installed.

I also lack the patience to reboot to a boot camp partition.

My latest solution is Virtual Box, which is free virtualization software. I use it a lot at work and find it works well.

Posting Freak

Thanks. Another stupid question: do I need the Windows disks (software)??

Lifer

Theoretically: yes.
    Practically: the interwebz are amaaaazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post
    So last year I bought an old PC and was able to do it-- kind of -- the video was so slow that it didn't work out!!
    This is far more likely to do with the old pc part than anything else. 1080p requires some significant hardware to playback and even more muscle to edit and render. It's common now so anything modern (other than a netbook) should handle it no problem but older machines just weren't built for that.

FWIW I have the same setup (mac running qstarz through windows, mac version of race render).

As for the disks, you don't necessarily need the windows disks depending on how resourceful you are as has been mentioned but you DO need the software. Bootcamp/parallels/etc. do not come with windows, they just allow you to run it. Whether through legitimate or other means you will need to get a copy of windows.

Posting Freak

Thanks for that great reply. If you would, couple other questions. Is downloading Bootcamp free? Will it slow up my computer? What version of windows would be best? Do you have an example of a vid you did with this setup??

Posting Freak

Sorry more questions. How is the beta Mac program of RR? If you use the Mac for RR and Video is it a pita to transfer the windows based Qstarz program into it?? As u can see this is above my pay grade.

If MS is still running the promotion, pick up a Win 8 Pro upgrade for $69, then find someone who will lend you an old XP/Vista/Whatevs 64bit OEM installer.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post
    Thanks for that great reply. If you would, couple other questions. Is downloading Bootcamp free? Will it slow up my computer? What version of windows would be best? Do you have an example of a vid you did with this setup??
    Boot Camp is part of Mac OSX. It is not a download. It is just there. See Applications -> Utilities -> Boot Camp Assistant.

I have not noticed any slowdown. Although I do not use it anymore. Instead I use VirtualBox to run a VM in a window as I am too lazy to reboot that often. Also I am not a huge fan of how the Mac keyboard works in windows. VirtualBox DOES slow things down a bit as you are running a 2nd virtual computer. This takes resources. Although most modern Macs have CPUs that have technology to accelerate VMs. This helps. So the slowdown isn't that bad. In VirtualBox you can control how much of your system resources you 'share' with the VM. This has a huge effect on the performance of the VM itself.

Google is your friend for setup. I am sure there are plenty of decent howto's out there.

Bootcamp shouldn't noticeably affect your performance because you're booting directly into windows. Parallels will affect performance because you're running windows within OSX so you're splitting your system resources between the two OS's. There are setting within parallels to adjust how much of your resources are dedicated to the virtual machine while it's running but you're still going to see things slow down a bit when you're running a vm. Best version of windows is whatever your software needs will allow you to use. Racerender and qstarz will run under windows 7, no idea if they will work with windows 8. That's something you'll have to research.

As for an example video with racerender, I've only published the one so far:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=safdr2xWdCM

I've since learned quite a bit about racerender and have improved on that one but the video I'm working on now hasn't been finished yet. One thing I am trying at the moment is using rr to generate the overlay but not putting the actual camera footage in. I render the "video" with just the overlay and then add it as an PIP in fcpx. At this point I have no idea if this will improve anything or if I'm just making more work for myself but it's something I'm playing with.

Transferring qstarz into rr is easy regardless of the cross platform thing. You have to export the gps data to a .csv file which you can then move over to the mac side of things easily (it's just a file). Then you select that file within rr to generate the overlay and video.