Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Steering damper $?

Steering damper $?

I'm thinking about getting a steering damper for my RC51 for the NJMP TTD.

The Scotts and GPR look about the same at about the same price. I can find them at about $425. Does anyone know where I can find a better price? Or have a reason why one is better than the other?

Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Re: Steering damper $?

Isn't the Scotts damper take a little more work to install?

I know a lot of people that have the scotts on the RC and are happy with it.

James

The Scotts needs to be welded to the frame, whereas something like a HyperPro is just bolt-on.

That's all I know.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The Scotts needs to be welded to the frame, whereas something like a HyperPro is just bolt-on.

That's all I know.
    The rotary damper needs to be welded? Are you sure? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere, just that it's not as easy to install as the GPR.

Thanks.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    The rotary damper needs to be welded? Are you sure? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere, just that it's not as easy to install as the GPR.

Thanks.
    I just checked the website, it looks like they have mounting kits for certain bikes, your RC51 being one of them. Guess I was wrong

Some bikes require the bar to be welded, like my Z1k.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I have a scotts, and it doesnt need to be welded, and isnt hard to put on. You just need a GIANT socket for the steering nut. Can be installed in 5 or 10 minutes

Scott's does not have to be welded. I have it on my RC51. I would recommend the scott's for the following reason. I had the GPR on my 636. When I sold the bike and tried to get a mounting kit for the rc, it required a new fairing stay because the GPR is too tall. The cost for the mounting kit was going to be as expensive as the GPR cost me in the first place. I bought the Scotts and it fits under the fairing stay. It works great (actually they both work great), but the scotts mounting kits are considerably less.

As far as actual mounting goes its easy. There is a ring/bolt combo that replaces the bolt in the middle of your triple tree. That ring has a bump out on the bottom that lines up with the notch at the bottom center of your triple tree, it also has allen bolts going all the way around it. You screw down the replacement bolt over the ring (line up the notch) and then tighten the allen bolts so the ring does not spin. The stabilizer then mounts down onto the ring with two more allen bolts. Finally, there is a piece that mounts over the top of your gas tank where the existing two bolts are. The two pieces interlock with a pin and you are good to go. The whole process will take 1/2hr if you take your time and use the supplied threadlock to make everything nice and tight. Removal for repairs takes like 2 minutes. It really is a good unit.

I also have the Scotts on my RC51. Just buy that one you will be happy and wont have to wait for it. The GPR will be on back order, believe me. They will take your order and then email you that its backoredered for the mounting kit. Just get the Scotts. (only trying to save you time, Ive been to this movie before)

Call this guy, hes an RC51 owner and has his own parts business and service. Very fast and most likely the cheapest around too! http://www.scottsms.com/ His name is Scott, but not related to the Scotts damper company.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    You just need a GIANT socket for the steering nut. Can be installed in 5 or 10 minutes
    Agreed, you either need a 22mm socket or a big adjustable crescent wrench. Easy to install, but be careful.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Question to you all with steering stabilizers... If you are just riding on the street, will i utilize it's benefit’s? i was thinking of getting one but i'm not sure, will it simply be a waste of money??

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    Question to you all with steering stabilizers... If you are just riding on the street, will i utilize it's benefit’s? i was thinking of getting one but i'm not sure, will it simply be a waste of money??
    I don't have one on my street bike and its fine, but it scares the shit out of me being able to move the bars so freely (after racing with one for years). Its definitely something I would suggest, but its also not a huge deal if you don't have one. However if you're ever in a situation where it'll save your ass... the $400 you spent on the damper is much cheaper than the consequences.

thats good to know, from what I understand it helps stop steering wobble from say a really big MASSACHUSETTS pothole on the highway at 80? is this correct...

That is correct. I have been in a few situations where the damper has saved my ass. It's definitely worth the money (Out by you, let's say your hummin' along at a good clip and hit a bunch of frost heaves....in by me, its definitely the potholes and uneven patches). I can say from experience it's a sound investment, you will notice a very big difference in handling for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Agreed, you either need a 22mm socket or a big adjustable crescent wrench. Easy to install, but be careful.

Yea, cover all of the triple in the Blue tape and then you can use a crescent wrench and not mark it up...cause no matter how careful you are its going to get scratched....

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post

Yea, cover all of the triple in the Blue tape and then you can use a crescent wrench and not mark it up...cause no matter how careful you are its going to get scratched....
    +1 for blue painters tape

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I have another item on my list of things to get!

i started a thread back when i got it, but about a month ago i bought a scotts for my f4i. i love it. it has already helped a number of times. i don't know about the GPR but they say the scotts is basically infinately adjustable, with a high speed damping, low speed (on the fly) adjustment, and you can set the degrees of dampening, with 4 settings: 34º, 44º, 54º, or full 78º. check out morepowerracing.com cheapest i found, for $407 for the mounting hardware and dampener.

What?