Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

I haven't been on the site in a few weeks, and signed on today to get some "where have you been" PM's.

I low sided my K2 on labor day hitting up some twisties near my house, and badly fractured my collarbone from the bike falling on it while sliding on my back.
    Had a sleeve-less t-shirt on, so the road rash is feeling lovely also. Had full-face helmet, boots, gloves, jeans, but no jacket.
    I had to push my bike home 2 miles before driving my 5-speed pickup to the hospital for x-rays.

Needless to say, I'll be alright and I already began to order new parts for the bike.

I know the almighty question: how's the bike look?
    well here's a summary of the damage:

* scratched/cracked left fairing
    * scratched/cracked nose
    * broken off frame slider
    * broken flush-mount directional
    * cracked stator cover
    * broken left foot peg
    * broken ear shifter
    * broken clutch lever
    * minor rash on left side of the tail
    * broken windscreen (from my collarbone)
    * scratched spool slider (only slider that did it's job)
    Attachment 9148

Attachment 9149

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

glad to hear you're somewhat alright! blue hills is fun - you're not the first to go down in there and won't be the last

heal up and get out there next season

oh and I dont know this guy personally - but I'm sure he knew the risks of not wearing gear and is paying for it...so spare everyone the internet lectures (you know who you are)

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

thanks R6. I did have all my gear on except the jacket (boots, jeans, gloves, helmet). the road rash is all healed now, and i still would have broken my collarbone with or without a jacket. the bike fell on me when i was sliding on my back.
    I actually fixed everything this weekend except the stator cover.
    got a fairing on eBay which is on it's way.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

...and I'm damn glad I just bought those boots 2 weeks before I crashed. the ankle and laces on the boots got scraped up pretty bad. If I had sneakers on, I wouldnt have been able to push the bike home.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

riding boots have laces?

anyways...sucks about the lowside, but these things happen. good to see both you and the bike are easily repairable.

props for pushing the bike home, with a broke coller bone no less... i probably would have just layed there and waited on the paramedics and tow truck...but hey, i'm lazy

Lifer

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

Sorry to hear about the collar bone. I'm going through the same thing right now from a mountain bike crash about a month ago. It was interesting for the first few days - I couldn't even open a beer bottle...

I had the second follow up with the orthopedist last week and the x-rays showed there is still about a half inch gap between the ends of the bone - if things don't change I'm looking at a plate and screws.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

they're not riding boots, just work boots that I bought.
    and i pushed it home because I was so embarrassed of what happened & I didnt want anyone to see me.

I had my 2nd set of x-rays on the 2nd week and no healing. I'm going for my 3rd set of x-rays at the 6th week, which will be in 2 weeks.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

just finished. new gasket and stator cover, oil change, flush mount directional, and fairing. Thanks everyone for your help.

I couldnt figure out how to replace the clutch cable though.

taking the old one off and removing LED kit
    Attachment 9181

fairing off, stator cover next
    Attachment 9182

finished
    Attachment 9183

still have the plastic cover ont he windscreen
    Attachment 9184

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

old fairing
    Attachment 9186

nose - left side
    Attachment 9187

right fairing where I hit the guard rail
    Attachment 9188

right side of rim, from the guard rail
    Attachment 9189

Last edited by Jim; 10-08-07 at 03:11 PM.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

I beleive it's called Wampatuck Rd. It's the one off the Furnace Brooke Parkway rotary, past the residential houses. Before that construction.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

goddamn crashing lately...

your x-ray is making me hurt

2007 GSX-R600
    1997 ZX-9R (sold)
    1979 RD400F Daytona Special (sold - i know, i know)
    Had at one point or another for off-road: KX125, Four-trax 250R, 250 3wheeler, XR250, XR400

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

yea I went to the end where the hidden stop sign is, and turned around to go back home. think the 1st big turn was where I crashed.
    It felt good pushing a bike 2 miles home with road rash and a broken collarbone, but not a good as seeing all the bikers drive by me and not ask if I was alright

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

one guy on a cruiser actually stopped when I was exiting Blue Hills, and walked his bike next to me so I could go around the rotary. But there were tons of street bikes that went bombing by me. How many people would be pushing a bike with their helmet locked under the cowl, with blood all over their shoulder and back? Shitty luck that one of my friends called me to go for a ride when I was pushing the bike home. Oh well, I got 1-2 weeks left and I should be back on the bike.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

Ask for a bone stim device before when you go to the Doc again. Iwent 3 months with no healing of my collarbone. They gave me a bone stim and 6 weeks later I was back on full duty with a healed collarbone and no surgery.

'04 600RR

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

what the hell is a bone stim device? I'm seeing an orthopedic at mass general. he said he's trying to avoid surgery due to the amount of nerves in that area. getting my 3rd set of x-rays in a week, which will be my 6th week since the accident.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

It is basically an electromagnet. You wear it over your injury and it stimulates bone growth by stimulating blood flow. Sounds wierd, but worked great. Just suggest it to your doc. He should know what you are talking about. I was told that if you do have surgery the recovery requires that you not move the affected arm at all for 6-8 weeks, which also adds to your problems

'04 600RR

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

cool, thanks

Lifer

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

Do what you can to avoid the plate and screw surgery. If it goes in - there is a chance they have to go in later to remove the screws. Do you have decent range of motion, and are you able to do a push-up without pain? Start by standing up and going against the wall, then against the counter, then on your knees on the floor, and finally a nice slow on while on your toes - if it hurts, stop...

I had a physical yesterday - the doctor asked if I had any aches and pains...
    yeah - my left shoulder aches a little.
    Oh?
    Yeah - it might have something to do with the broken collar bone...

I made sure to avoid being a smart ass until I was told that we wouldn't be doing a prostate exam.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

yea my 6th week follow up is a week from tomorrow, so I'll be asking him everything about what's the next step

Just read your crash report

Whoa dude,

That sucks! I can't believe noone stopped, except that one guy, and he just got you through the rotary!? I'd have pushed your bike home for you. See, they are all squids! (no comment about the jacket ). The rash must've not been that bad if you're healed from it already.

How fast were you hitting that turn at? Did you see your crash and what caused it as it was happening, or was it down before you even blinked? That side of that turn has some rough pavement, going the other way on that turn is smooth like butta. That turn you described and the last turn going that direction before coming out to the houses where the two different pavement heights meet up are the two which can most easily upset the bike in the whole area.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

I was taking the turn between 60-70. I honestly think I didnt lean enough, or soon enough. When I realized I wasnt going to make the turn, I straightened up and hit the brakes. Hit the guard rail probably going around 30. The turn I crashed on I think was the 1st big one heading back to the rotary from the stop sign. I've driven past it a few times now in my truck, but cant remember exactly what turn it was. Anyways, if you go past there slow enough, you'll see a small stain of oil on the pavement from my stator cover.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

got got my x-rays, and the doctor gave me the to get back on the bike. anyone around to go for a ride?

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

Wow...just catching this post...glad youre getting back on the road and healing. Thats always good! Pushing that bike 2 miles with road rash and busted collarbone...one tough dude! Sad comment on todays riders...cagers too...so many didnt stop when you were obviously injured. I know where you crashed. Been through there a million times. I couldnt help but notice your xrays were taken at Milton hospital, where I grew up. (the town, not the hospital!) I just underwent arthroscpoic surgery on my right shoulder last week, so Im out of riding for a while. It was plenty painful the first several days, (Percocets rule!) and have plenty of PT and strengthening work to do but what youve gone through makes mine pale in comparison. Be careful out there!

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

thanks. i only took one perc, surprisingly.
    I've never broken a bone before, so I had no idea what to expect.
    The dr's at milton actually wouldnt see me. they sent me off to Mass General to see an orthopedic surgeon.
    good news i'm off the sling, and should be 100% for lifting int he gym in 2 months.

I'm done for 6-8 weeks

glad to hear your ok, to bad your mirrors didn't get damaged forcing you to get ones that have a function., haha. I crashed (kinda) and had to replace the pig spotters with something better, I'm glad I did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast