Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stolen Bike Report

Re: Stolen Bike Report

1) Find out the address of the garage. I can pay them a visit

2) Thumbs up for Lo Jack

3) Do you really want that bike back after some scumbag fucked it up? I dunno about you guys but I'd rather take the ins check and by myself a fresh bike untainted.

4) Dorchester.........enough said and not surprised.

5) Next time buy a thick ass chain, run it through the FRAME of your bike to a non movable object.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Spend money on the chain and figure out the best way of locking up the bike. I've had a couple of MasterLock locks seize up and not unlock with the keys. Spraying WD-40 in it and waiting didn't do anything. Both of them failed in the Spring after being locked outside in the cold, snow, rock salt and sand. Buy a MasterLock with the weather-proof covering. The chains available at Lowe's and Home Depot aren't strong. I've cut through them with a hack saw and jig saw within minutes. Scared the crap out of me how easy it was and how my neighbors or someone driving by didn't call the Police. You want a case hardened chain and you're probably going to need about 4-5 feet.

Kawasaki rider

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    1)
    4) Dorchester.........enough said and not surprised..
    Just a word in defense of Dorchester: I work on the ambulance there and 95% of Dorchester is pretty nice. There are only 3-4 streets I would avoid. I actually really like it there and am planning to move there when my lease is up.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty nervous with all these bikes being stolen in Allston/Brighton. My bike isn't visible from the road but i'm not lucky enough to have a garage... Have to buy a chain. Although I can't really think of where I could get one through the frame...

Quote Originally Posted by DankDirtyBird View Post
    Found the bike in a garage Dorchester, wires pulled out, motor doesn't start, but they say the lights and everything else works. Getting towed now, so hopefully its in good shape. Thank you LoJack.
    Well, I hope somebody gets busted for this! You don't happen to know what street it was on in Dorchester, do you? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    Just a word in defense of Dorchester: I work on the ambulance there and 95% of Dorchester is pretty nice. There are only 3-4 streets I would avoid. I actually really like it there and am planning to move there when my lease is up...".
    You can't be serious. I have a friend that owns a house off of Dorchester Ave. He would move far, far away if the housing market wasn't so bad. There are plenty of cities and towns outside of the Boston area that are pretty nice. Do yourself a favor and move to a nice neighborhood when you get a chance. A place were you can raise children, walk down your street without hearing rap music or dealing with homeless people. Look up the local police log of any city you plan on living in. Here's a quick example. C-11 Dorchester, http://www.bpdnews.com/category/c-11-news/ Read the page with the AK47 being removed from Coleman Street. Have fun in dirty dot.

Kawasaki rider

Was the lo jack beacon or gps based? Its great you got it back.... With some of the other cheaper gps celluar based systems you dont have to wait for lojack or a cop to care and can find it yourself... But four hours is not bad at all...

I can't really say much about Dot because I never go there. The couple times I was in Dot, I honestly thought I was going to get shot, hence the term "You're gonna get shot in Dot"

Quote Originally Posted by Ituen View Post
    You can't be serious. I have a friend that owns a house off of Dorchester Ave. He would move far, far away if the housing market wasn't so bad. There are plenty of cities and towns outside of the Boston area that are pretty nice. Do yourself a favor and move to a nice neighborhood when you get a chance. A place were you can raise children, walk down your street without hearing rap music or dealing with homeless people. Look up the local police log of any city you plan on living in. Here's a quick example. C-11 Dorchester, http://www.bpdnews.com/category/c-11-news/ Read the page with the AK47 being removed from Coleman Street. Have fun in dirty dot.
    I am serious. How much time have you spent there? I spend a lot of time there. Dorchester is a big place, it is the biggest section of Boston, and there are good neighborhoods and bad. There are absolutely more nice neighborhoods in Dot than there are bad ones. If you're interested, I can direct you to some very nice neighborhoods with some great people living in them. Some of the great people even like... *gasp*... rap music! And there are plenty of homeless people in every part of the city, and most of them are pretty good people too. Some people like living in cities, some don't. If you don't like it here that's fine, but it doesn't mean other people should be fearful of living here. At least it's interesting and there's lots to do.

I can't really say much about Dot because I never go there. The couple times I was in Dot, I honestly thought I was going to get shot, hence the term "You're gonna get shot in Dot"
    It's really not that bad, overall. I would be much more wary of Roxbury, but even Rox gets a bad rep.

I don't know man, I know you live there and all but look at the amount of crimes in just 2010 in Dorchester. Pretty much evenly spread throughout the town.

http://www.universalhub.com/crime/dorchester.html

Anyways sorry for getting off topic, back to stolen bike.........

I don't know man, I know you live there and all but look at the amount of crimes in just 2010 in Dorchester. Pretty much evenly spread throughout the town.

http://www.universalhub.com/crime/dorchester.html

Anyways sorry for getting off topic, back to stolen bike.........
    Actually don't live there, I'm a paramedic there. All I'm saying is it's not as bad as everyone thinks. Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

There is a company in England that makes locks and chains that are practically cut proof. Can't remember the name must have CRS They are avilable in the US. If I can find my old one I will give it away here. Lock weigths at least 10#

Last edited by fjrrider RI; 08-12-10 at 10:35 AM.
    Yamaha lover

Quote Originally Posted by cdseven95 View Post
    Was the lo jack beacon or gps based? Its great you got it back.... With some of the other cheaper gps celluar based systems you dont have to wait for lojack or a cop to care and can find it yourself... But four hours is not bad at all...
    It is Beacon based. Once one cruiser picks it up, they bring others into the area to pinpoint it. They did work quickly, but I won't get it back until my insurance adjuster has some time to look it over.

I don't have a street that it was found on, at least not yet. I might be able to get the full police report, which might have it on it. I don't know if they found anyone either. I'll just wait to hear from the insurance, and go on about my business. Depending on the amount of damage done to it, It might make for a good track bike!

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Quote Originally Posted by Ituen View Post
    walk down your street without hearing rap music.
    I think you're my new favorite NESRian

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler955 View Post
    I am serious. How much time have you spent there? I spend a lot of time there. Dorchester is a big place, it is the biggest section of Boston, and there are good neighborhoods and bad. There are absolutely more nice neighborhoods in Dot than there are bad ones. If you're interested, I can direct you to some very nice neighborhoods with some great people living in them. Some of the great people even like... *gasp*... rap music! And there are plenty of homeless people in every part of the city, and most of them are pretty good people too. Some people like living in cities, some don't. If you don't like it here that's fine, but it doesn't mean other people should be fearful of living here. At least it's interesting and there's lots to do.
    So if I were a Have Not and I lived next to a bunch of Haves, I would likely venture over to their neighborhood to steal some shit.

We see the same thing in my new neighborhood. Million dollar houses in the middle of a bunch of ghetto ass Mexican neighborhoods (that sprung up after ours was built). You better believe that my house has a security system. People's houses in the neighborhood I live in get broken into frequently and its always people that live outside the neighborhood and drive in to commit crimes.

Original

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by fjrrider RI View Post
    Don't the key ignition and fork locks work anymore?
    I saw a Youtube clip of a guy stealing a Z-750 with the steering locked. He simply sat up on the seat, and put his foot against the bar end, and pushed. He sheared off the steering lock without breaking a sweat. I was amazed how easy it was for him to do that. Then he pushed the bike out of sight, probably to an awaiting van.
    there are also several clips showing a crew of guys rolling up in a van. Two of them simply get out, pick up the bike, throw it in the side door of the van, and drive off. It literally only takes seconds.
    As mentioned here, the best way to avoid bike theft is to lock your bike to an immovable object (light post, etc.). Even then, if a thief really wants your bike, he is going to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I think you're my new favorite NESRian
    I like all types of music. I just don't want my neighbors blasting it while I'm trying to sleep. Dorchester in the news again. I'm not buying a house there.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38688805...ews-boston_ma/

Last edited by Ituen; 08-13-10 at 06:05 AM.
    Kawasaki rider

Re: Stolen Bike Report (Recovered!!)

Went and checked out the bike today. The tow slip was nice enough to tell me where they found it. 71 Dakota St. Dorchester MA. Google mapped it, and it doesn't look like the nicest area.

Posted some pics, looks like they just hot wired it, and put it down on the left side. I'm actually not sure why they ripped off all the plastics just below the tank, and why they were trying to get under the gas tank cover, but whatever. They are still waiting for the Police to come and do prints on it, so it will be sitting until then. Hopefully I'll get it back and running again real soon! Thanks for all the support everyone.

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

my buddy lives a mile or so from there on savin hill. like i have said before, i can get all the stuff you see on masterlocks' site. so if u are interested lemme know, this goes for everyone.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ View Post
    my buddy lives a mile or so from there on savin hill. like i have said before, i can get all the stuff you see on masterlocks' site. so if u are interested lemme know, this goes for everyone.
    Maybe one of those chains they have that come with the locks would be good...

Glad to see you got it back. I would seriously go over every single inch of that bike before you take it out for a ride.

So they hot wired it and crashed it? Too bad their riding skills weren't as good as their hot wiring skills!

Original

I wouldnt want it back after that. Total it out and get a new one.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Dorchester again!

Kawasaki rider

Re: Stolen Bike Report (Recovered!!)

Quote Originally Posted by DankDirtyBird View Post
    Went and checked out the bike today. The tow slip was nice enough to tell me where they found it. 71 Dakota St. Dorchester MA. Google mapped it, and it doesn't look like the nicest area.

Posted some pics, looks like they just hot wired it, and put it down on the left side. I'm actually not sure why they ripped off all the plastics just below the tank, and why they were trying to get under the gas tank cover, but whatever. They are still waiting for the Police to come and do prints on it, so it will be sitting until then. Hopefully I'll get it back and running again real soon! Thanks for all the support everyone.
    That is one of the worst areas of Dorchester, most of the shootings in Boston this year happened right around there. Deffinately an area to avoid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12