Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

To those of you storing a bike, or putting it away for more than a few months...

Angry To those of you storing a bike, or putting it away for more than a few months...

Seal the damn thing up!

As most of you know I just bought an 01' Triumph Tiger 955 that had been stored since it was broken in... 8 years.

God knows who or what came and went in that time but there were some very nice little gifts left for me to clean up... What I removed from that bike and where it was stuffed, I can't believe the bike even started. Oddly enough, the bike drove amazing with all the crap kicking around in it! I can't wait to see how it rides all cleaned out!

So this is what I removed... 1 HUGE NEST in the airbox. Acorns, feces, urine, batting, hair, remnants of the air filter, and charred remains of any bedding that made it onto the throttle body side of things.

1 HUGE nest under the tail plastic on top of the rear fender. Not only was there feces, batting, and urine all over EVERYTHING, but there was feces caked into the factory car alarm... that was fun to clean out. *yuck*

1 good-sized nest on top of the radiator reservoir packed behind the headlights and up under the gauges. Mainly dirt, leaves, and urine.

In addition to the actual nests, there was urine all over most of the electrical connections, on the cam cover, coil packs, and on top of the transmission well behind the cylinders.

So, I've spent the past 2 nights with a can of engine de-greaser, rags, q-tips, rubbing alcohol, soap and water I've been able to restore most of the plastic, connections, wires, clips, and 'high-traffic' areas to their original glory.

All that's left to do is slap a little grease on all the electrical connections and button everything up...

I will say this though... the car alarm is about 10x louder without the shit in it... literally.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

Things to seal:
    1. Airbox inlet
    2. Exhaust pipe

If you can't seal it... moth-ball it.
    1. Under the seat.
    2. Behind the headlights/under the dash.
    3. Any nook or tight space on top of the motor between the tank under the plastic and under the battery box...

Or stand watch day and night with a bb-gun... little bastards.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Post Re: To those of you storing a bike, or putting it away for more than a few months...

i always plug the exhaust cuz id hate for this to happen to me

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sladic aka Slush
    K7 GSX-R 600 - STOLEN JULY 16th 2012