Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Street Bike to Rekindle the Flame

Re: Street Bike to Rekindle the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    The Bonnie, like the Harley, is the same as it’s ever been. It’s not a modern restyle.
    Ok then, Ducati Scrambler

Anyhow, if I wanted to do some miles I like the Scout. If I was more around town and wanted to do some hooning I like the 690 Duke. Also, there’s a new offering from Husky with the LC4 that I quite like:
    VITPILEN 701

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 12-11-17 at 10:57 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

My read was you were looking for something low-stress, easy to ride and easy to live with. With a kid inbound I can't believe you'd have time for something exotic. You already got laid and are about to have evidence of it. Who gives a fuck about image?!
    Commuting on a sport bike is going to get really old, really fast. Then it'll hit CL with the same old "kid at home; no time to ride" subtitle.

I'm with Chip on the hipster models you list; why?! Nakeds are better at that for less $ and grief.

I would pass on a DL1000 in favor of a liter sized sport-tourer (ie FJR1300) as you have no need for the "adventure" pretense.
    Just like if you were talking R1200GS I'd tell you to skip-it and go R1200RT or one of the K-bikes or something. You don't need the dirt-esque features.

Unfortunately nobody makes a solid middleweight ST bike. Hence the DL650. With a set of Pilot Roads and some hard bags it's basically a ST bike. Everyone picks on it for being a shitty dirt bike. But the truth is it's a shitty dirt bike because it's not a dirt bike, it's a middleweight ST bike.
    Maybe the F800ST. Maybe.

If you're looking to hoon around, by all means; motard, pseudo-tard, or just stick with something nekid.
    If you're looking to slam miles, get something with a windshield. Want the wife to not complain about it, then make it something with bags that can bring diapers and groceries home.

But then, I probably don't get it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 12-11-17 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My read was you were looking for something low-stress, easy to ride and easy to live with. With a kid inbound I can't believe you'd have time for something exotic. You already got laid and are about to have evidence of it. Who gives a fuck about image?!
    Commuting on a sport bike is going to get really old, really fast. Then it'll hit CL with the same old "kid at home; no time to ride" subtitle.

I'm with Chip on the hipster models you list; why?! Nakeds are better at that for less $ and grief.

I would pass on a DL1000 in favor of a liter sized sport-tourer (ie FJR1300) as you have no need for the "adventure" pretense.
    Just like if you were talking R1200GS I'd tell you to skip-it and go R1200RT or one of the K-bikes or something. You don't need the dirt-esque features.

Unfortunately nobody makes a solid middleweight ST bike. Hence the DL650. With a set of Pilot Roads and some hard bags it's basically a ST bike. Everyone picks on it for being a shitty dirt bike. But the truth is it's a shitty dirt bike because it's not a dirt bike, it's a middleweight ST bike.
    Maybe the F800ST. Maybe.

If you're looking to hoon around, by all means; motard, pseudo-tard, or just stick with something nekid.
    If you're looking to slam miles, get something with a windshield. Want the wife to not complain about it, then make it something with bags that can bring diapers and groceries home.

You are the definition of vanilla. When have you ever owned an exciting motorcycle?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

id rather slam my dick in a car door than ride a f800.

I think there are some great middleweight tourers.
    FZ6 is boring but you cant break it and cost of entry is comically cheap for everything that it can do. (My wife has had 2)
    FZ1 was like the 6 but more awesome. really cant go wrong
    the vfr is a home run no matte rhow you cut it, just slap some risers on it, (plus it sounds the best)
    the ninja 1k is great, a little sportier ergos, but motor is a champ
    I had a vfr1200, it was a great single bike but shes a big girl. but the power of that bike was intoxicating.
    Triumph sprint ST/GT great bikes and an awesome engine.

Ive gone down this road. and the best bike for me has been the 800-1200 cc SPORT tourer. the other bikes listed above are great, but I feel the size would get old quick for just commuting. or riding solo.

My two cents would be a KTM 990 or a Aprilia Tuono .. Been a fan of older Moto Guzzi's but that's a maintenance issue you may not want..

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Husqvarna 701, enduro or SM either will work, with a back pack for your laptop. Scratches a lot of my itches. Only thing I don't think I would like to do on it is a couple of hundred mile day.

That Vitpilen is kind of cool but I know there are a lot of places I wouldn't want to take it without fear of damaging it.

Last edited by tls25rs; 12-11-17 at 11:47 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You are the definition of vanilla. When have you ever owned an exciting motorcycle?
    I get my kicks.

Experiences >> shit that impresses other dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    His SV was exciting... that time it was on fire.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I get my kicks.

If you're having fun, then that's great, there's nothing wrong with buying a motorcycle that makes you happy. But "reigniting the flame" is not exclusively about cost and practicality, or logic for that matter. What it brings to mind in me is something exhilarating, somewhat impractical and maybe a bit scary, cost and logic be damned. It's about emotion.

That's exactly why I bought my Super Adventure. It ignites a fire in me every time I thumb the starter and hear that huge v-twin blat, every time I pull a wheelie over a roller in 4th gear, when I step the ass end out going hot into a dirt corner, when the boxes scrape the pavement in a hairpin turn. Lucky for me it also has all the practicality as well, but that's just how I justified the cost. I'm way more attached to the "Ready to Race" spirit of the bike that KTM baked into it.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 12-11-17 at 01:08 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I think dual sports and adventure bikes are probably not the "right tool for the job". This will be a rebound bike. I want lust, not love.
    MY hyperstrada fit this bill.

Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

Maybe the F800ST. Maybe.

This is the most boring advice ever. Are you 80 years old? Utility and practicality is not everyone's unit of measure.

I get my kicks.

I did not know what it was and I just googled a DL650. It looks like shit and from your convoluted description probably is as memorable to ride as a microwave oven. So I am OK with missing that 'experience'

Pistorius, you left us and went South. Why are you still asking us about bikes? Haven't you found yourself some southern friends yet?

Lifer

Maybe the F800ST. Maybe.

All of that makes sense, and I think that's the problem.

What about one of the BMW K sport bikes? K1200R/K1300R? Or the K1300S for a little more practicality.

nedirtriders.com

An older FZ1 or the Honda 919 can make a nice all a rounder with cases added to it. Or the new Kawi Z900 retro.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    id rather slam my dick in a car door than ride a f800.

I think there are some great middleweight tourers.
    FZ6 is boring but you cant break it and cost of entry is comically cheap for everything that it can do. (My wife has had 2)
    FZ1 was like the 6 but more awesome. really cant go wrong
    the vfr is a home run no matte rhow you cut it, just slap some risers on it, (plus it sounds the best)
    the ninja 1k is great, a little sportier ergos, but motor is a champ
    I had a vfr1200, it was a great single bike but shes a big girl. but the power of that bike was intoxicating.
    Triumph sprint ST/GT great bikes and an awesome engine.

Ive gone down this road. and the best bike for me has been the 800-1200 cc SPORT tourer. the other bikes listed above are great, but I feel the size would get old quick for just commuting. or riding solo.
    My fz6 was one of the most boring motorcycles ever.. Might as well have been an sv.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Ok then, Ducati Scrambler

Anyhow, if I wanted to do some miles I like the Scout. If I was more around town and wanted to do some hooning I like the 690 Duke. Also, there’s a new offering from Husky with the LC4 that I quite like:
    VITPILEN 701

I don’t know if you’re agreeing with me or not, but the duc scrambler is(are) also gross.
    That husky does nothing for me, it looks just as weird as the new Yamaha’s. I do like the little duke a bunch though, personally.

Last edited by Chippertheripper; 12-11-17 at 01:59 PM.
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That husky does nothing for me
    ^ officially an old guy

^ officially an old guy
    WOW Ouch.

Paul_E_D

^ officially an old guy
    In that case you better go buy the gnarliest fire breathing beast you can find. Your days are pretty numbered as a free (young) man.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

for the love of God don't buy a vstrom 650...check out my thread. It's a slightly thick wife, that's generally inexpensive up front, with a little bit of maintenance here and there but has the option for a big purse to carry your $hit. Not a rebound chick.

It's a little underwhelming and be prepared to let honda minivans overtake you when you're WOT. Light gravel roads are fine, but when you get into some mediocre stuff when the bike is being held up on the skid plate and front wheel, and you're using all your strength to keep the thing from falling, you realize it sucks on real off road. My knees don't want that anymore. I enjoy it as: a commuter with luggage, that handles well, and is ugly enough I can street park in the ghetto without it getting stolen. CA bike.

All this positive attitude about zero work all fun for all bills is not true. Budget for a stator, steering head bearings, an eastern beaver headlight kit blah blah blah

edit: how come every time I type "c h u b b y" wife it changes it to cMan God?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-11-17 at 03:08 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Ok, ok, seriously, busa.

The Ninja 1k is great, though it didn't quite blow me away enough to consider getting it to replace my ZX-10R. Pretty close though.

But now that the H2 SX is a reality, I may have found a sport tourer that checks all the right boxes for me. Probably would do more than just "rekindle the flame" though...more akin to swimming in a pool of gasoline while lighting a cigar with a roman candle.

Gotta wait and check the insurance rates though; the H2 was notorius for being prohibitive, with some people supposedly being quoted premiums in the $4-5k range. Screw that noise.

Buy either a speed triple because there is one in my garage I would sell you, or kyle’s VFR so he can buy another bike in my garage that he wants

One bike with more character than all the rest. Hell even Peter Eagan owns one!

2006 Buell XB12X Ulysses - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    edit: how come every time I type "c h u b b y" wife it changes it to cMan God?

You've been here for over a decade and still don't know the story behind that?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

It changes the word h ubby to Man God.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast