Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Street Bike to Rekindle the Flame

Lifer

Re: Street Bike to Rekindle the Flame

Suburban commuter, 45mph roads multi-lane roads, and a lack of time for activities? I'd vote something with storage space, so you can double-duty your rides with trips to the store etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Lifer

A DR650 can fulfill your commuting duties with some ability to venture to the mild dirt when wife allows. Many have these as their only bikes. Otherwise, agree with XSR700/Tracer 700

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

The more I think about this, the more I think dual sports and adventure bikes are probably not the "right tool for the job". This will be a rebound bike. I want lust, not love.

Lifer

I hear you. My “lust” Bike is my streetfighter 848

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Hypertarded

Well seeing as this is NESR and everybody is already ignoring your list, my vote would be for the bike that lit my fire / I LUSTED after at first site / rekindled my interest in bikes and got me back on the street, Hypermotard . Exciting, comfortable, nimble, makes you want to ride and contrary to "opinion" mines been 100% reliable.

Or Supermoto

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post

No SV650s! I'm done with that shit. I want something thats stupid functional, stupid comfy, or stupid fun.
    Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory fits the bill

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Have you given any thought to bmw Pete? My wife loves her gs, does everything right.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I'll just put this right here... 2008 Hypermotard 1100

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Have you given any thought to bmw Pete? My wife loves her gs, does everything right.
    I've never actually ridden one, but my takeaway from the NYC show a few years ago was that I will have one some day. The ergos are perfect.

Lifer

Honestly. I'd keep the dough in the bank and garage empty until after the squirt pops out. See how life goes and then re-evaluate. My money is that you barely find the time to ride for a while.

Now that I've gone all FWD car with snows..

The more I think about this, the more I think dual sports and adventure bikes are probably not the "right tool for the job". This will be a rebound bike. I want lust, not love.
    You might be surprised. Most of the "adventure" bikes are adventure in name only. My DL650 is an SV650 with slightly more wind protection, more upright ergos, a bit more suspension travel, and a 19" front wheel. Other than that, same same. As a one-size-fits-all bike its fucking fantastic. Commutes really well (upright ergos and high seat => awesome visibility and control). That extra travel is nice on potholes and such. The bike comes with a parcel shelf for your work bag/laptop. Lockable hard luggage is a short trip to the aftermarket away. And the thing handles better than you probably think. 0-60 she'll have more than enough power to tingle the nads.. and like the SV you'll actually be able to use it all now and then. Buy one pre-scratched. Slap Pilot roads on it and combat commute on it.

Alternatives I'd consider are a big-bore sport tourer. FJR1300. ST1300 mini-wing. R1x00RT. Maybe a Concours 1400. Epic commuters. Solid grocery getters and still exciting. Other that the BMW these are tried and true Japanese designs that will be anvil reliable. Gas 'n go, always ready to ride. The BMW is more agricultural in nature and has it's own charm. Even the newer air/oil cooled ones have an air of riding around on half a 1960's VW bug. But my pick would be the FJR1300.. 2013+.. in grey. Budget cap'ed at not more than $8k.

You can also go sportier with the Ninja 1k (available with bags!). Although they really improved them recently (mostly electronics) and I believe the newer model is much more desirable than the older ones you'll find used (and cheap).

Nobody ever made a middleweight sport tourer that was worth a damn. Hence the ADV'ers like the 'strom. Close as you can get.

If you're serious about the low-n-slow cruisers I can't help you. I haven't ridden any of them that I thought were worth serious consideration. The only "cruisers" I think are worth a damn are the big mega tourers (read: Road King, etc).

I'd stay away from a motard. Uncomfortable as fuck for any lengthy riding. Normally I'd suggest a dual-sport with an SM conversion. But I get the idea you are more urban now and doubt you'll have the time to tinker with a 'tard conversion. (They all require tinkering!)
    Maaaaybe a pseudo-tard, like a Ducati Hyperstrada. Maybe.

If open to Ducs, my choice for what you describe would be a Monster. My preference would be one of the air cooled ones. Probably an 1100 Evo. Big, sexy brakes. SSSA. Sleek runabout lines. Bars and usable ergos. .. No real luggage compatibility though; lousy grocery getter.

But really, a SV650n or FZ07 would probably do you just fine too. Just don't put clipons on it and you'll be fine.

Why DL650 instead of DL1000? I think I would prefer something that goes to plaid.

Why DL650 instead of DL1000? I think I would prefer something that goes to plaid.
    Because the 1000 has a bunch of idiosyncrasies. And is uglier, if you can imagine that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm sorry, but a DL650 is not a "rekindle the flame" kind of bike. It's straight up vanilla and boring...exactly why so many ADV riders like it.

If I wanted to "rekindle the flame" I'd get a naked bike of some kind; MT-09, MT-10, GSX-S750 or 1000, Super Duke, Tuono...something ridiculous that you can flog on and put bags on when you're trying to be practical. Or at least a hooligan sport tourer, i.e. FJ-09, S1000XR, Multi, etc.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

It sure as shit aint going to be a DL650. Or an SV. Or an FZ07. This guy gets it ^

It sure as shit aint going to be a DL650. Or an SV. Or an FZ07. This guy gets it ^
    XSR900 all day long. Styling is on point unlike the ugly ass triumph and it's got a sweet motor.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Beh, those new yammy nekkids are gross. Trying to look old school in flavor never worked for anybody, ask the pt cruiser.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Beh, those new yammy nekkids are gross. Trying to look old school in flavor never worked for anybody, ask the pt cruiser.
    How about you ask the Bonneville, chief.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I'm sorry, but a DL650 is not a "rekindle the flame" kind of bike. It's straight up vanilla and boring...exactly why so many ADV riders like it.

If I wanted to "rekindle the flame" I'd get a naked bike of some kind; MT-09, MT-10, GSX-S750 or 1000, Super Duke, Tuono...something ridiculous that you can flog on and put bags on when you're trying to be practical. Or at least a hooligan sport tourer, i.e. FJ-09, S1000XR, Multi, etc.
    The Tuono has rekindled my desire to ride, I just can’t seem to find the free time I used to have.

The upright riding position and having so much power and torque on tap is something new to me, after years and years of 300-400 mile days on a sportbike.

Yamaha

Hyperstrada, DL650

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Speed triple?

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    How about you ask the Bonneville, chief.
    The Bonnie, like the Harley, is the same as it’s ever been. It’s not a modern restyle.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

you can pick up an sv1000 for a song and a dance these days. (also I miss the fuck out of mine)

How about a 6th VFR800? there are a couple on local ones for sale on born, well set up with luggage.

Its a good jack of trades. Unless your up north and the going off road is easy to go. don't kid yourself and say you will. load the luggage and take the wife away for the weekend. leave the top case on and have a great commuter. and still be narrow to slip between cars. strip all the bags and toss the leathers on hoon all day.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post

Perhaps add the BMW S1000R and Ninja 1000 to that list. Well-behaved commuters with all-around performance, relaxed ergos, hard bag options, and available used.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    you can pick up an sv1000 for a song and a dance these days. (also I miss the fuck out of mine)
    And they sound fantastic with aftermarket pipes.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-11-17 at 10:20 AM.

IF you are commuting with it and take a laptop, you'll probably end up buying a rear pillon case anyway. Of all the hard bags I've had on bikes, the side ones never fit a laptop unless you have one of those baby wanna-be slimfit tight jean type computers.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

z900rs

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast