Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Street/commuter/ADV ride

Re: Street/commuter/ADV ride

6 point didn't work, but 12 point did.

HOLY SHIT those Shinko Big Block tires do NOT have sidewall flex. Nearly broke my brand new Mojo Bar. Had to abandon it before snapping the bolt off the end and wrap my all metal HF tire change lever in plastic to get the tire off.

Did the rear tire last night, gotta do the front today. Then inspected tomorrow during the nice weather. Be interesting to ride it with round tires vs those terrible 8-bit Shinko's.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Which shinkos? I have a set of Shinko 700's on the WR that I like just fine.
    Now that I have an 890 on order I'm realizing the 21/18 tire world is a lot different than the 19/17 world. Several shinkos have hit my maybe list.

Shinko 804/805's.

I've run Shinko 705's on the KiLaR and the Wee and liked them just fine. These 80x's are SO stiff though, and ride like complete trash on pavement.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 03-24-22 at 02:10 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

First ride over to get it inspected. Took the longer way home to be able to hit the highway for a short stint.

Initial thoughts:

1. I'm spoiled with the 890R motor. MAN, I'm spoiled. This 950 is fine and good, but it lacks the RIGHT NOW snap of the 890. Still needs to be wound up a bit to get the power going, but it's smooth and plenty of torque for normal riding everywhere from 3k and up. Gets more exciting around 8k, but it doesn't exactly want to rev up there as freely as the 890. For a commuter bike, absolutely fine. If I hadn't bought the 890, I would of been thrilled with this motor. Silky smooth, but with character and plenty of pull for all kinds of riding. (ECU in "Sport" mode, "touring" mode was even softer)

2. Haven't baselined the suspension, but feels pretty sorted over the chop in it's current state. It is a little excessive on the front end dive initially in the stroke, but I may be able to dial that out with the fully adjustable forks. May jack the rear up a little; felt low in the back. Gotta open up the little paper manual under the seat to figure out where all three adjustments are on the rear shock. I can only see two.

3. Little shorty windscreen works fine at it's lowest setting. Nice clean air hitting me. Adjustment is a one handed affair while underway, quite nice. New larger Givi arrived already from RevZilla; I'll toss it on before my first big commute to Boston.

4. Brakes need to be bled. Front lever is mushy. Still stop good, but fluid looks dark so it's probably way past due. Bleeding a bike with abs... hmmmm.

5. Seat is good. Nice and wide, not too soft/firm, and a slight slant to the front so you can move around on it easily. Bar reach is alright, but I can see why some people throw Rox Risers on it. I likely won't since I sport monkey arms.

6. Cockpit/seat/tank give you the feeling you sit down in this bike vs on it.

8. Those Avon tires balanced easier than any other tires I've ever mounted. Smooth on the highway, and feel alright so far. Bit vague when leaned, but that may be the suspension being super soft from the previous owner. I'll know once I baseline everything.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Well now I feel like a schmuck not saving $6500 and buying the Yamaha 700!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCIKP9w7DE

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

Wow, will things please return to “normal”!?

Street/commuter/ADV ride-fa820f21-8755-4e79-8879-fe27bcf2d099

Lifer

I remember pre-Covid my biggest bitch was left over units still having new prices.

Now you can’t get anything.

My wife wants a Rebel 500 ABS, a REBEL!! Anything in stock is sold, anything incoming has a deposit, and as if I think last week naults for example didn’t know their May allocation numbers, like if they would get any!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Wow, will things please return to “normal”!?

Street/commuter/ADV ride-fa820f21-8755-4e79-8879-fe27bcf2d099
    FWIW - If you have any interest in the KTM, Russ will talk your ear off. Not that you can't get that kind of info here, but you can have a face-to-face with him. That dude LOVES to talk!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    FWIW - If you have any interest in the KTM, Russ will talk your ear off. Not that you can't get that kind of info here, but you can have a face-to-face with him. That dude LOVES to talk!
    I probably should have gone with the 890r, but the triumph gives me an excuse to buy more Def Leppard merch

Lifer

I must even more of an asshole than I thought I was..
    Freedom returned your emails?! With like paragraphs and info? Dude.
    And now they are claiming they "got a few"?

Sales prevention teams, let me tell you.

Lifer

I know I was kinda surprised by the “few 890s”.

Lifer

Story I got weeks ago was that they were expecting "a few" and that the 890 ADV-R was-for some reason-one of the easiest bikes to get their hands on right now. But they already had "too many" deposits and were not interested in taking mine. Nor would they talk terms or put anything anywhere near a piece of paper.

Lifer

They were good coming up to what I wanted when they bought a bike from me, but I’ve had no luck getting anything other than advertised price plus all fees.

They’re actually one of the dealers I had in mind about leftovers, they had a FEW gixxers leftover, right next to a FEW current year gixxers and wouldn’t budge from their msrps…. Like, what incentive is there to buy the leftover, are they just banking on someone being dead set on the vague difference in graphics?

This was a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    First ride over to get it inspected. Took the longer way home to be able to hit the highway for a short stint.

Initial thoughts:
    Any update on the Multi’s jimmy-rustling abilities after a month and a half?

It's not bad. Motor def is no KTM 890. That 890 motor is just SO good, it's not really fair to compare it. But the Ducati motor isn't bad.

That being said:

Clutch when cold is fucking MISERABLE. No clue how they could of let this bike get past a pre-production stage like this. Good luck not stalling it before you let it idle for 10-15 minutes. It's that bad.

Clutch also isn't good in traffic even when hot. It's a cable pull clutch. It's been working nicely for 40 years. How they can fuck this up is beyond me.

Suspension is good compared to my VStrom (not sayin much). But it's fully adjustable. Front end dive on brakes can be mitigated somewhat via compression and preload adjustment.

Brakes are good-ish, but the rear brake lever is tucked way in compared to the peg. So to get to it, you have to be duck-footed. Another big oversight. Front brakes are way worse than the KTM, but these could need a rebuild. Def not the lever feel/bite I'd expect from radial mount Brembo's.

Put the big Givi windscreen on. Promptly took it off after 1 highway commute. Blurred vision from buffeting and a headache after minute 30 of a 2 hour commute. Put the shorty back on and it's better, but it's not nice quiet clean air. If I stand up on the pegs, it's quiet. If I duck down, it's quiet. Just like the Givi. I'm going to 3d print some new mounts to space it about an inch or two off the front fairing to allow more air up/under to help with the turbulence to see if that'll help.

Motor has enough squirt up top, but no urgency. I leave it in "Sport" mode all of the time. Tried all the modes yesterday in traffic, but limiting the engine output doesn't help when you are in stop and go, then wide open, alternating highway traffic. Low end throttle response off idle is a little delayed compounding the clutch woes.

Loaded up with tools in the nice locking matching factory side/top cases leaves the front end a little bit wandering on the highway. But I think that's more of a weight issue vs the bike itself.

Transmission upshifting is good. Downshifting is horrendous. Once again, they let it out the factory like this. Everyone complains of the same missed downshifts and false neutrals as I do.

If I didn't have the 890R, I'd like this bike way more. But once again, holy shit that 890 motor is a gem. Fuckin 3rd gear power wheelies into the NASCAR oval at Thompson last weekend. Just SO good..... makes me want to trade this thing in for an 890 Adventure.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 05-13-22 at 12:44 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

It's not bad. Motor def is no KTM 890. That 890 motor is just SO good, it's not really fair to compare it. But the Ducati motor isn't bad.

That being said:

Clutch when cold is fucking MISERABLE. No clue how they could of let this bike get past a pre-production stage like this. Good luck not stalling it before you let it idle for 10-15 minutes. It's that bad.

Clutch also isn't good in traffic even when hot. It's a cable pull clutch. It's been working nicely for 40 years. How they can fuck this up is beyond me.

Suspension is good compared to my VStrom (not sayin much). But it's fully adjustable. Front end dive on brakes can be mitigated somewhat via compression and preload adjustment.

Brakes are good-ish, but the rear brake lever is tucked way in compared to the peg. So to get to it, you have to be duck-footed. Another big oversight. Front brakes are way worse than the KTM, but these could need a rebuild. Def not the lever feel/bite I'd expect from radial mount Brembo's.

Put the big Givi windscreen on. Promptly took it off after 1 highway commute. Blurred vision from buffeting and a headache after minute 30 of a 2 hour commute. Put the shorty back on and it's better, but it's not nice quiet clean air. If I stand up on the pegs, it's quiet. If I duck down, it's quiet. Just like the Givi. I'm going to 3d print some new mounts to space it about an inch or two off the front fairing to allow more air up/under to help with the turbulence to see if that'll help.

Motor has enough squirt up top, but no urgency. I leave it in "Sport" mode all of the time. Tried all the modes yesterday in traffic, but limiting the engine output doesn't help when you are in stop and go, then wide open, alternating highway traffic. Low end throttle response off idle is a little delayed compounding the clutch woes.

Loaded up with tools in the nice locking matching factory side/top cases leaves the front end a little bit wandering on the highway. But I think that's more of a weight issue vs the bike itself.

Transmission upshifting is good. Downshifting is horrendous. Once again, they let it out the factory like this. Everyone complains of the same missed downshifts and false neutrals as I do.

If I didn't have the 890R, I'd like this bike way more. But once again, holy shit that 890 motor is a gem. Fuckin 3rd gear power wheelies into the NASCAR oval at Thompson last weekend. Just SO good..... makes me want to trade this thing in for an 890 Adventure.
    Wow not a good multi write up! Surprising.

The scrambler is unbelievably hard to find neutral. What’s up with that?

I rode Kenn's new Speed Triple 1200RR and it was the same way! There's a trick to it but it's still not as smooth as my other Triumphs.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I rode Kenn's new Speed Triple 1200RR and it was the same way! There's a trick to it but it's still not as smooth as my other Triumphs.
    Good cuz it makes me feel dumb

He tasted the orange Kool Aid and that shall now forever shape he reference point for all other bikes.

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

That being said:

You're welcome to try my 1290SA if you want to hate the Ducati even more.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Huh, I have not had that experience. My transmission is really smooth and easy to use, although I did get a few false neutrals in the first couple hundred miles. None since then, and neutral is pretty easy to find.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Huh, I have not had that experience. My transmission is really smooth and easy to use, although I did get a few false neutrals in the first couple hundred miles. None since then, and neutral is pretty easy to find.
    It’s still has under 300 miles cuz I’m a poser, but three other people have ridden it and found the same. But then again, the shift throws are very small compared to the harley so maybe neutral is just a toe twitch that I haven’t mastered.

My wife says the rear seat is worse than an 09 R1…. Which I don’t get just looking at the two.

Do you have the left side pannier? I’m really tempted.

It’s still has under 300 miles cuz I’m a poser, but three other people have ridden it and found the same. But then again, the shift throws are very small compared to the harley so maybe neutral is just a toe twitch that I haven’t mastered.

My wife says the rear seat is worse than an 09 R1…. Which I don’t get just looking at the two.

Do you have the left side pannier? I’m really tempted.
    It is a pretty subtle movement, I guess. Not too much movement needed.

I have a Hepco & Becker side rack and tail rack and use the Kriega OS modular bag system. I like it a lot, but since I got it a lot more double sided racks have come out and if I were doing it again I’d probably do one of those. When the bike is really loaded up for touring/camping it takes a little while to get used to the weight being on just one side, would be nicer to have it balanced. Anyway, using the OS bags plus a 30L duffle I can pack up everything I need for a good trip.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    It is a pretty subtle movement, I guess. Not too much movement needed.

I have a Hepco & Becker side rack and tail rack and use the Kriega OS modular bag system. I like it a lot, but since I got it a lot more double sided racks have come out and if I were doing it again I’d probably do one of those. When the bike is really loaded up for touring/camping it takes a little while to get used to the weight being on just one side, would be nicer to have it balanced. Anyway, using the OS bags plus a 30L duffle I can pack up everything I need for a good trip.
    Where are you seeing both sides? I can’t find anything listed in USD

Where are you seeing both sides? I can’t find anything listed in USD
    Akurat in Costa Rica, Unit Garage, Metal Mule, I think there are others. They may not be listed in USD, but all these companies will be happy to ship to US.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast