Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Street/commuter/ADV ride

Re: Street/commuter/ADV ride

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    IMO, the Tiger 800 is similar to a Wee. It'll do it, but nothing really gets rustled.
    More horsepower and soul then a Wee, but still more a goldilocks type of bike.

The Tiger Explorer is way more of a beast, more comfortable and actually gets better mileage. If you can get past the extra cylinder it checks most of your boxes. Totally worth a look.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 02-18-22 at 10:01 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

My Multistrada 1000 is a hoot. There's one for sale in NH now for $3,800 of FB Marketplace, has the hard bags, Sargent seat (a must,) and MIVV exhaust. LMK if you want a link.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

IMO, the Tiger 800 is similar to a Wee. It'll do it, but nothing really gets rustled. I believe you had the same opinion after renting one out in CA, right?

Rode a Versys 1K around Thompson for a whole session. The lack of torque turned me off to it after coming off my 890. Other than that, it was fairly nice. But man did you have to wind it up to get ANY pull out of it. No ZRX motor, that's for sure.

Rode a GS1150A down at Deal's Gap. Pretty nice. The suspension is amazing. My big worry is the height of one, since my commute involves a lot of traffic lights and stop/go.

Yeah. I just don't love the triple as a motor. Not much for it on the MT/FJ-09 either. Neither the grunt of a twin nor the up-top scream of an I4. In my opinion it completely lacks "soul". The Wee/SV L-twin is much more fun to positively wring out. The whole slow-bike fast thing.
    But, you know, opinions are like assholes. The Tiger 800 gets down the road just fine and is undoubtedly faster and more polished than a Wee. It doesn't rustle my jimmies and I couldn't get over the original list. Now years later now that they are depreciated.. maybe?! In this market I might take one at the right price.

Realize my primary ride is now a Harley Davidson. So.. you know.. no accounting for taste and all.

I've not ridden a 1150GS, only a "hex-head" 1200GS. But I have ridden an R1150RT. I like the 1150 motor more than the 1200; but as I say-not because it is faster but because it is more tractor like. I love the very notchy, heavy clunk of the older BMW transmissions. Like my Harley in that respect. Plus the older BMWs are simpler IMO. Less electronic bullshit. My friend with the 1200GS just spent an ungodly amount of money special ordering a new ignition/key control module that left his bike completely unusable.

For that same reason I wouldn't go near a newer Multi 1200. That said, I hear the air-cooled Multi 1100 is a peach. I've never had the pleasure. Chip wouldn't shut up about the 1100 duc motor and in my experience he usually isn't wrong about these things. A Monster 1100 EVO has always been on my wish list as I can't get past the uglystrada looks of the 1000/1100.

Lifer

990 ADV: I've given up on ever owning this bike. IMO the people that own them have now decided that they are gold. Plus, I still think they just aren't quite bullet proof enough. Gosh-darn fun though.

1290 SA: Oh hell yes. Rocket ship that pushed all the right buttons for me. I was $500-1000 away from owning one.
    But I do not believe you will land one for less than $10k for quite some time still.

As a general rule KTM multi-cylinder bikes kind of worry me. Bit too sharply honed and I worry brittle because of it. Your rocking a brand new 890 though. So maybe you are past that.

I know you said more ADV than ST. But two ST bikes that still stick in my blood stream are the VFR800 and the FJR1300. I would love to own either. If I ever land a 5th gen VFR I bet I will wind up keeping it forever.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Yeah. I just don't love the triple as a motor. Not much for it on the MT/FJ-09 either. Neither the grunt of a twin nor the up-top scream of an I4. In my opinion it completely lacks "soul". The Wee/SV L-twin is much more fun to positively wring out. The whole slow-bike fast thing.
    But, you know, opinions are like assholes. The Tiger 800 gets down the road just fine and is undoubtedly faster and more polished than a Wee. It doesn't rustle my jimmies and I couldn't get over the original list. Now years later now that they are depreciated.. maybe?! In this market I might take one at the right price.

Realize my primary ride is now a Harley Davidson. So.. you know.. no accounting for taste and all.

I've not ridden a 1150GS, only a "hex-head" 1200GS. But I have ridden an R1150RT. I like the 1150 motor more than the 1200; but as I say-not because it is faster but because it is more tractor like. I love the very notchy, heavy clunk of the older BMW transmissions. Like my Harley in that respect. Plus the older BMWs are simpler IMO. Less electronic bullshit. My friend with the 1200GS just spent an ungodly amount of money special ordering a new ignition/key control module that left his bike completely unusable.

For that same reason I wouldn't go near a newer Multi 1200. That said, I hear the air-cooled Multi 1100 is a peach. I've never had the pleasure. Chip wouldn't shut up about the 1100 duc motor and in my experience he usually isn't wrong about these things. A Monster 1100 EVO has always been on my wish list as I can't get past the uglystrada looks of the 1000/1100.
    An Evo is on my list as well. What about a Multi12 puts you off?

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    An Evo is on my list as well. What about a Multi12 puts you off?
    Unreliable, overly complicated electronics.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey now.. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...61147547780937

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    My Multistrada 1000 is a hoot. There's one for sale in NH now for $3,800 of FB Marketplace, has the hard bags, Sargent seat (a must,) and MIVV exhaust. LMK if you want a link.
    Found it.

As it happens, I sold my Wee for that exact amount and I still have all that cash sitting in the safe.....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Unreliable, overly complicated electronics.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey now.. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...61147547780937
    That's just a slower version of my 890R.

I need some wind protection/highway manners. But if that's for you, then by all means, get to it!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

If you don’t need a 19 or 21 front, that opens the door to more options
    Here’s a couple jimmy-rustling commuters if I was in the market.

KTM 990 SMT
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2152346663495/

Hyperstrada SP
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8058356673489/

Or a Multistrada 1200 definitely be found in the $6-10k range. Adam 01XJ recently bought one, and he is also inseam challenged.

Lifer

That's just a slower version of my 890R.

I need some wind protection/highway manners. But if that's for you, then by all means, get to it!
    Lol. No, not for me. I prefer the Monster package were I going for that. And I already have a naked SV650 rat-rod that I don't ride as it is.

My next purchase is a middle or light weight ADV tourer. If someone comes across a dealer with 890 ADV-R or Tenere 700 inventory, let me know! Sadly I am not a buyer until early summer at least.

Found it.

As it happens, I sold my Wee for that exact amount and I still have all that cash sitting in the safe.....
    Go for it. Honestly, short money...most of these are selling in the $4-6k range.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Still starting to lean towards a 2016+ GS. Would prefer an Adventure, but man those things have some serious altitude issues for someone who is 5'6".

Looks like they offered them regular GS's) in regular height and low suspension. Anyone have any insights to how the low suspension models impact regular street riding and cornering clearance?

Whole point of going GS is to get that mega cush suspension, and my readings indicate that may be reduced from the low suspension setup. But I've only ever ridden one GS, and it was an old 1150 Adventure.

Last edited by TheIglu; 02-19-22 at 10:24 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Wanna buy the V Strom I bought and have moved 3 times?

Still starting to lean towards a 2016+ GS. Would prefer an Adventure, but man those things have some serious altitude issues for someone who is 5'6".

Looks like they offered them regular GS's) in regular height and low suspension. Anyone have any insights to how the low suspension models impact regular street riding and cornering clearance?

Whole point of going GS is to get that mega cush suspension, and my readings indicate that may be reduced from the low suspension setup. But I've only ever ridden one GS, and it was an old 1150 Adventure.
    As someone who’s always casually shopping and always has one eye on a GS, I think you’ll be looking at one with some serious miles on it for under $10k

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    As someone who’s always casually shopping and always has one eye on a GS, I think you’ll be looking at one with some serious miles on it for under $10k
    How do you like that Scrambler? How tall are you? How noticeable is that exhaust?

National has one for 11.5 used, so they’re getting close to ten.

But a dealership has one new for 13ish that I’m considering.

Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    How do you like that Scrambler? How tall are you? How noticeable is that exhaust?

National has one for 11.5 used, so they’re getting close to ten.

But a dealership has one new for 13ish that I’m considering.
    I love it. It’s currently my only bike and it is a great bike to own if you’re only going to have one. Great on the road, capable off road, I love the looks, just a real fun bike. The stock exhaust is totally fine until you get stuck in traffic and then it gets pretty hot. The cat is hidden very close to your leg (the 2022 moved it to the end cans). I decatted it and that made it better, but then a set of slash cut exhausts fell into my lap for less than $100. I put the cat back on and the cat + slash cuts has actually been the coolest setup so far. I’m 6’2” with a 32” inseam and the XE works well for me. If I was under 6’ I’d consider the XC, but either way it’s not crazy tall if you’re used to tall bikes. I bought mine as a new leftover from National in 2020 for $11.5

Edit: the most common owner complaints are: exhaust heat, which can be addressed with decat or low Zard pipe (which I think still looks pretty nice) and isn’t really that bad anyway in my opinion, and wind. I think a lot of ADV riders bought them for the looks and forgot that it’s a naked bike and end up putting huge windscreens on them. For me a flyscreen is more than adequate, but a lot of guys are looking for ADV wind protection from a naked bike and it’s never gonna happen without ruining the look of the bike, so why bother? Luggage options are better than you might expect and I do tour on mine.

Last edited by Spooler; 02-19-22 at 10:59 AM.
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post

Budget is fluid for the right bike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Why 16+ GS? Are those the ones that had a stop sale when introduced?

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    If you don’t need a 19 or 21 front, that opens the door to more options
    Here’s a couple jimmy-rustling commuters if I was in the market.

KTM 990 SMT
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2152346663495/
    Hmm

Seller Information
    Αντώνης Κορρές
    Joined Facebook in 2014
    Maybe a friend of Savvas?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

890 Adventure? So when one breaks you can steal parts from the other?

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Why 16+ GS? Are those the ones that had a stop sale when introduced?
    Appears that 2013 was the year that occurred (according to wikipedia).

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Belong to Yankee Beemers, the largest BMW club in the U.S.. Some major BMW fan boys in the club. The vertical twin GS’s have been more popular lately but lots of the R series, including the wasser boxers. Also used to work with CroMag, who owned three, and had some work done by Chris Harris.

Flatly would not buy an R series GS unless it was on warranty. That said, the percentage of problem bikes is probably under 10%.

The S bikes have huge power.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Someone I know in Sherborn MA has a BMW for sale, posted on FB --

2016 BMW R 1200 GS
    $13,999 w/ 42Kmiles

"2016 BMW 1200GS Adventure w/Premium Package (see photos for detail).
    Ready to roll. No Bags. pm for any questions"

Try this link
    https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

or search for it on Marketplace.

FYI

I know nothing about BMWs.

Last edited by whynot; 02-20-22 at 09:15 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    You don’t mention price but Tiger 1050’s sell for absurdly little money.
    2014 9K miles $7K
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5812925077087/

Last edited by whynot; 02-21-22 at 08:11 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast