Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Street Glide Special First Impressions

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I need to see them in person and try them to see how they feel to me first. Yeah, that's a hint.

Fuckin' OEM. That's one of the things I WON'T go OEM. Holy shit!
    Just busy as fuck, all the fucking time it seems. You have put more miles on your Glide This year than I have total on mine.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Just busy as fuck, all the fucking time it seems. You have put more miles on your Glide This year than I have total on mine.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Jay this is the one I have, and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-He...ms&sr=1-1&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Jay this is the one I have, and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-He...ms&sr=1-1&th=1
    How the hell are those so cheap?!? I was looking at Hogworx HaloMaker. I haven't yet read the description for the ones you linked, but are they plug & play or would I have to order a special pigtail for those too?

How the hell are those so cheap?!? I was looking at Hogworx HaloMaker. I haven't yet read the description for the ones you linked, but are they plug & play or would I have to order a special pigtail for those too?
    For my bike it was plug/play but looks like for 14+ you need a pigtail

Yeah, I noticed that when I was poking around.

Any of you guys upgraded the suspension? I had my heart set on a set of ohlins 159's but they are back ordered until the end of August per Computrack Boston.

Pro Action seems like a great shock for the money with an included lifetime warranty. I'd really like to spend my money locally through GMD Boston. Especially since Peter helped me set up my triumph at Thompson a few times. Waiting until potentially September isn't really something I want to do especially since this is the first year in about 6 years my wife and I are free to take some trips on the bike.

My gut tells me any premium suspension will be 1000% better than stock but it's hard not to get sucked into the online reviews. There is basically not a single person alive who has bad things to say about ohlins, while there are some, albeit a small amount of mixed reviews on Pro Action.

RaceTech does HD

They really need a better website...

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Yeah racetech is available. It's hard to invest in them with almost zero information available about their hd products.

The Racetech website is awful.
    Here's the page with their 2013 street glide products on it. https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1...t%20Glide/2013 (I don't know what year yours is, so I picked one).
    The GS3 seems to be the right one for that bike. You can find info on that at https://racetech.com/page/id/98

I've emailed them a few times and they've been really, really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Any of you guys upgraded the suspension? I had my heart set on a set of ohlins 159's but they are back ordered until the end of August per Computrack Boston.

Pro Action seems like a great shock for the money with an included lifetime warranty. I'd really like to spend my money locally through GMD Boston. Especially since Peter helped me set up my triumph at Thompson a few times. Waiting until potentially September isn't really something I want to do especially since this is the first year in about 6 years my wife and I are free to take some trips on the bike.

My gut tells me any premium suspension will be 1000% better than stock but it's hard not to get sucked into the online reviews. There is basically not a single person alive who has bad things to say about ohlins, while there are some, albeit a small amount of mixed reviews on Pro Action.
    I've done my shocks and forks. I have Ohlins HD 215s for shocks. I was going back and forth between those and K-Tech. Reason Ohlins won out was due to the hydraulic preload. Made adjusting the spring easier from riding to solo to two up with my wife. The one thing I don't like is the compression adjustment is only 4 clicks from full soft to full hard. For the front I when with GP Suspension cartridges. Looks won out and the fact I've had their stuff on my race bikes in the past so I know its quality. Wouldn't change a thing. Bike handles very good to the fact at one point I forgot it was a Harley and had to back it into a turn due to this "sweet" gear box.

I would imagine most "special" order things are back ordered now because of covid19. I just ordered a bike carrier and its 3 weeks out. If you can wait for it to come to Pete that is the way I would go. The support alone is worth it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Just ordered a $50 jobbie, I guess we'll see. The claims are they include the adapter, but I'm reading mixed reviews on how well they fit into the housing. Time will tell.

Just ordered a $50 jobbie, I guess we'll see. The claims are they include the adapter, but I'm reading mixed reviews on how well they fit into the housing. Time will tell.
    Mine came with a bucket plate/adapter thing. I know that I didn't install "exactly" as the instructions tried to tell me to, but I got it to fit great and all adjustments work as they should. I aligned the beam the same way I always did with my manual-adjust HID car headlights and I can see great without blinding oncoming drivers.

Called Pete again at computrack and went with ohlins 159. No idea when they'll get here but those seem to be the proverbial Cadillac of rear shocks.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

What do those run? Ballpark? Remind me why I haven’t done this yet?!?

Mine will get OE heated grips soon. Should they ever come back in stock. That will be my big upgrade for the season. Appropriate considering how little I am riding right now.

825 is the sticker and 895 was out the door with shipping.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quick question, not necessarily related to just Harley. Need a new rear tire. OEM size is 180/65-16. Can I put a 180/70-16 without any issues?

A 180/70-16 is going to be about 2/3" (18mm) taller than a 180/65-16. The "first" number is the width of the tire in mm. The "second" number is just a ratio of width to height (of the sidewall).

180*.65 = 117
    180*.70 = 126
    9mm difference. Multiply by 2 as you have the aspect ratio on the top and bottom and you have 18mm difference.

That said, the "sidewall" of a motorcycle tire isn't really the same as it is for a car tire, as they tend to be shaped somewhat differently.

Ordered a saddleman step up seat. Kinda pricey. Hope it doesn't suck!

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Ordered a saddleman step up seat. Kinda pricey. Hope it doesn't suck!
    Just put on a Mustang seat, not quite a "step-up" but a bit similar and holy shit the lower back support is heavenly compared to stock

Street Glide Special First Impressions-hr6uucl-jpg

Lifer

I also bought a Mustang seat, the "Wide Solo". I feel the same way; incredible upgrade.
    Mine is a cop bike with the farm-tractor style cop solo seat on a spring. I thought it was pretty good, but it adds like 2"+ which is just too much. I borrowed a stock FLHR/RK seat for a while that was too low. Felt like I was sitting on the dumper all the time and I missed the 2-piece/solo look. Most of the time it is just me and the solo seats look awesome in my eye. The Mustang splits the difference height wise and is just right.

I will say I sprung for the detachable backrest and feel that was money wasted. Partly because I loath the old-man, gold-wing look a rider backrest brings. But mostly because the stepped back of the Mustang wide is so damned supportive. I don't really understand how it works, but it works great. Some weirdness until it broke in, but since then..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I ripped my RK for an appointment in town yesterday. Love this bike. Between me and town is all back roads, mostly tree lined with fields on either side. Little 1-lane bridge across the river near the basin above an old little dam where the kids all swim. Putt-putt-putt past them, then lean into it up the hill past a farm. Give it a fist full in the first 3 gears, short shifting. Then drop into 4th and just pop along at 2k RPM, visor open the whole way. Get there and pop the side case open, drop gear in and just walk away. Yeah, I dig this thing.

What do you guys with aux/driving lamps do with them? Always on?

With the cop bike the aux lights were the blue emergency flashers in cop-mode. When they convert them for civilian sale they put in regular clear lamps and take out the flasher module. They then hard-wire the lamps to be always on (tied to headlight/ignition). There is an extra switch on the right pod that you can wire to work the aux lights. I have done this. But there is some weirdness. If you forget to turn the aux lights off manually they will be on when you turn the ignition off. I think there is a 10 or something minute timer. But you are still killing battery if/when you forget. I'm thinking of putting the bike back to the aux lights always on with no switch. I think I like having them on all of the time.

I've got a 2nd flasher switch that is wired to a lead that goes to the tail. Was for the rear flashers in cop mode. I've been trying to think of something amusing to tie into that. Flip up plate. Oil slick. Silly string cannon. Rear LED spot light..

I'm digging the Badlander seat that came with my Street Glide, Big Shirl only likes it when I put the backrest on.

Lifer

Rider or passenger backrest?

My missus wants a backrest. I had a 3rd party one for a day or so that was horrible and returned it. My cop bike has a hard-mounted parcel rack, which I dig. But it is not compatible with the HD quick-connect backrests. To switch I'd have to pull the cop rack, add a quick-connect rack, then add the quick-connect backrest. I actually already bought the quick-connect hardware before I realized all of this. Oh.. and I have the old style tail-light assembly where the plate mounts to the rack with the plate light pointing up. So I'd need a FLHR tail light assembly or something as well. I'd actually like a simple lay-down tail.

For now I just listen to her complain.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Rider or passenger backrest?

My missus wants a backrest. I had a 3rd party one for a day or so that was horrible and returned it. My cop bike has a hard-mounted parcel rack, which I dig. But it is not compatible with the HD quick-connect backrests. To switch I'd have to pull the cop rack, add a quick-connect rack, then add the quick-connect backrest. I actually already bought the quick-connect hardware before I realized all of this. Oh.. and I have the old style tail-light assembly where the plate mounts to the rack with the plate light pointing up. So I'd need a FLHR tail light assembly or something as well. I'd actually like a simple lay-down tail.

For now I just listen to her complain.
    Passenger backrest. I opted for original Harley backrest & quick-release stuff because I've heard shaky things about aftermarket products. I like that I can use the quick-release luggage rack when she's got her backrest on. I LOVE how easily that system is to pop shit on and take it off.