Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Street Glide Special First Impressions

Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Breathe...
    Not a big fan. I've passed on a few purchases over the years as I find that it interferes with my knee position.

But if it works for you, it looks great.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Breathe...
    I dunno, I couldn't hear it above my K-Pipe honk

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Love that air cleaner. Can we talk about bars yet? Haha.
    Soon, grasshopper. Soon. I'm going with a tuner next, or maybe get the stock ECU reprogrammed. Gotta figure out if I'm sticking with just slip-ons or going with a full exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDuc-1098 View Post
    Not a big fan. I've passed on a few purchases over the years as I find that it interferes with my knee position.

But if it works for you, it looks great.
    I've always loved the look of these, but thought the same thing. I had a chance to sit on a similar bike that had one and it seemed to fit me. In all honesty, I wasn't necessarily going that way. I had a few hundred $$ in Harley gift cards to spend and I was going to stick around the $300 mark. I saw this particular one proudly displayed and with a little prodding from my son and opening up the old wallet, it was mine.

But why would you not buy a bike JUST because of that? It took me a about an hour and a half to remove the old set-up and install this. Just get something you like and swap 'em around!

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I dunno, I couldn't hear it above my K-Pipe honk
    Between that intake and my slip-ons, I don't hear much from other bikes either!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Soon, grasshopper. Soon.
    These are the ones I installed, didn't require longer brake lines but I did have to re-route the clutch cable. However I believe my FLHTP had a different clutch setup and from what I've seen, with the Street Glide you don't have to re-route.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Street Glide Special First Impressions-20200910_150314-jpg

So yeah, about that front tire. Not sure if anyone caught it in the Rock Pile thread, but I ENTIRELY forgot about my front tire. I finally got it mounted though, just in time for the ride Thursday. Nothing like a 250 mile trip and going up & down Mt. Washington to scrub in the new tire! Even scraped a floorboard on the way down just to see if they were ready for some grip.

Love having a matched set of the Metzeler Marathons on there. I've been riding on such a shitty front tire it's probably an unfair comparison, but the handling is unbelievable now. Even got to do a couple panic stops on my commute to work this morning. LOL!

I mentioned a while back when I swapped out the rear tire a bit of vibration between 35-45MPH. Oddly enough that disappeared once we got the new front on. The front tire must've been so shitty, the new back tire really brought out how bad it really was. I wish I had put that on last year. Smoove riding is back...

The stock HD-branded Dunlops last forever but in terms of handling are just hot garbage. Putting ME888's on was one of the best improvements I ever did.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The stock HD-branded Dunlops last forever but in terms of handling are just hot garbage. Putting ME888's on was one of the best improvements I ever did.
    Totally agree...

I'm beginning to think I may need to switch up soon. I'm getting far too comfortable and cocky on this thing now. Scraping floorboards has become my go-to when I want to show my Harley friends just how easy it is. I do it for kicks now. Unfortunately, I've also scraped the tip of one of my exhaust tips and it looks like shit now.

I pulled a TOTAL asshole move the other week too. I was in Concord (NH) and the best way to get where I was going was to hop on Route 93 for a couple exits. As I'm sitting there waiting for my light to get on the highway, a dude pulls up with an Electra Glide of some sort and starts shooting the shit with me. Went through the full list of engine mods & upgrades, blah-blah-blah. Before the light turns green, I can tell he's itching to tear it up. Sure enough, light turns green, he gets on 'er and heads up the on ramp slamming through the gears and bouncing off the rev limiter. My pretty much stock bike had absolutely zero problem keeping in pace and wasn't working nearly as hard as his. Total bullshitter I'm thinking, as most are when it comes to Harley talk.

The asshole move? I passed him on the outside of the lefthander on Exit 15E (you know the one), then TOTALLY shut the door on him as we headed into the right hander that dumps you onto Route 393. I fuckin' got on the throttle and didn't look back until I was approaching the exit I wanted (Route 106 - again, you know the one). At the long-ass light there, he managed to get next to me again and HAD to know what I had for mods. He was blown away at how I passed & left him. I was laughing my ass off as I told him it's just a stock 107 with ZERO mods. Just slip-ons & the intake.

He followed me up Route 106 and then up Route 129. I know the road like the back of my hand and once we got through the first couple miles where the speed traps usually are, I got feisty again. Within minutes, I could no longer see him in my mirror.

Somehow, he managed to catch up with me again at Blueberry Station on Route 28 in Barnstead. We chatted for a few minutes, all the while getting pressed for the engine mods I *MUST* have done and there's NO WAY mine's a stock 107. I got tired of his ignorance and just told him it's time for us to part ways. Haven't seen him in those areas since.

I've just been getting so fuckin' cocky on it, I'm wondering if there's something I can switch to that would put a bit of that apprehensiveness back into me. Like, seriously...

Lifer

114 kid.

But yea, the 107 is a peach.

Your park avenue leads to..

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Try one of these bad Larry's.

Street Glide Special First Impressions-5355adb0-8da7-4fbc-b3a5-4f6ea4ca59a1

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Lifer

I'm beginning to think I may need to switch up soon. I'm getting far too comfortable and cocky on this thing now. Scraping floorboards has become my go-to when I want to show my Harley friends just how easy it is. I do it for kicks now. Unfortunately, I've also scraped the tip of one of my exhaust tips and it looks like shit now.

I pulled a TOTAL asshole move the other week too. I was in Concord (NH) and the best way to get where I was going was to hop on Route 93 for a couple exits. As I'm sitting there waiting for my light to get on the highway, a dude pulls up with an Electra Glide of some sort and starts shooting the shit with me. Went through the full list of engine mods & upgrades, blah-blah-blah. Before the light turns green, I can tell he's itching to tear it up. Sure enough, light turns green, he gets on 'er and heads up the on ramp slamming through the gears and bouncing off the rev limiter. My pretty much stock bike had absolutely zero problem keeping in pace and wasn't working nearly as hard as his. Total bullshitter I'm thinking, as most are when it comes to Harley talk.

The asshole move? I passed him on the outside of the lefthander on Exit 15E (you know the one), then TOTALLY shut the door on him as we headed into the right hander that dumps you onto Route 393. I fuckin' got on the throttle and didn't look back until I was approaching the exit I wanted (Route 106 - again, you know the one). At the long-ass light there, he managed to get next to me again and HAD to know what I had for mods. He was blown away at how I passed & left him. I was laughing my ass off as I told him it's just a stock 107 with ZERO mods. Just slip-ons & the intake.

He followed me up Route 106 and then up Route 129. I know the road like the back of my hand and once we got through the first couple miles where the speed traps usually are, I got feisty again. Within minutes, I could no longer see him in my mirror.

Somehow, he managed to catch up with me again at Blueberry Station on Route 28 in Barnstead. We chatted for a few minutes, all the while getting pressed for the engine mods I *MUST* have done and there's NO WAY mine's a stock 107. I got tired of his ignorance and just told him it's time for us to part ways. Haven't seen him in those areas since.

I've just been getting so fuckin' cocky on it, I'm wondering if there's something I can switch to that would put a bit of that apprehensiveness back into me. Like, seriously...
    busa

or, since we watched Top Gun Maverick last night, a Kawi H2 Carbon.

Last edited by SteveM; 08-26-22 at 10:47 AM.

Maybe a non sport bike track day?

My road kind floorboards are scraped way down too

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    busa

or, since we watched Top Gun Maverick last night, a Kawi H2 Carbon.
    How was it? Still in theatres?

- - - Updated - - -

I still have chicken strips on my street Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    114 kid.

But yea, the 107 is a peach.
    I've ridden the 114 & noticed very little difference. It felt like the power curve was a bit different, more so at higher revs. Like, highway speeds it seemed to pull just a bit harder. That was on a Road Glide, which I'm not used to riding. So I may have been fooled a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Maybe a non sport bike track day?

My road kind floorboards are scraped way down too
    I've been tossing around the track day idea for a while now. That won't calm me the fuck down on the street though, it'll only make me want to go faster.

Oddly, it's the rear outer corner on mine that are getting scraped. For a while I thought it wasn't leaving a mark on the floorboards. I was thinking I KNEW I was scraping them, why aren't they showing? Then I found the grinding...

- - - Updated - - -

Due to the commuting I do, chicken strips are now a way of life for me...

Lifer

I've ridden the 114 & noticed very little difference. It felt like the power curve was a bit different, more so at higher revs. Like, highway speeds it seemed to pull just a bit harder. That was on a Road Glide, which I'm not used to riding. So I may have been fooled a bit.

I've been tossing around the track day idea for a while now. That won't calm me the fuck down on the street though, it'll only make me want to go faster.

Oddly, it's the rear outer corner on mine that are getting scraped. For a while I thought it wasn't leaving a mark on the floorboards. I was thinking I KNEW I was scraping them, why aren't they showing? Then I found the grinding...
    So you own a Street Glide, but have ridden a Road Glide?

What’s your opinion on the whole, fork mounted fairing versus frame mounted?

Funny to hear reviews of riders being “fatigued” by the batwing fairing…. Which I have not ridden.

I have ridden my brothers Road Glide a couple times, and it feels so awkward to me.

I’m wondering if maybe the street glide has more feedback and maybe i would feel better on that.

Funny to hear reviews of riders being “fatigued” by the batwing fairing…. Which I have not ridden.

I have ridden my brothers Road Glide a couple times, and it feels so awkward to me.

I’m wondering if maybe the street glide has more feedback and maybe i would feel better on that.
    Most of what you hear on the streets about the batwing are hearsay and handed down from previous generations. I've felt none of the things I've heard yet. As far as handling? The only real difference I've noticed on my ultra limited time on the Road Glide is they're definitely easier to maneuver in parking lots & super slow speeds. The front end FELT a bit lighter at speed, but being 25lbs. heavier, I'm guessing it really isn't. The sharknose on the Road Glide looks awkward and absolutely felt awkward TO ME. The reach to anything other than the bars is just too much for me, and I can't stand the gauge layout & placement. There's really nothing *I* like about the sharknose.

The batwing puts everything where I like it - within easy reach. And the gauge layout is perfect, right in my line of sight. And in my opinion, the batwing just looks SO badass compared to the awkward early-days Vetter looking fairing of the sharknose. It just looks so outta place to me. I can do 200+ miles at a whack and the only thing fatigued are my ass cheeks.

The whole batwing thing was completely redesigned in 2014 I believe (Project Rushmore), and from what I understand it made a big difference. I've asked this before and I'll say it here again: If the batwing has such horrible characteristics, why have they used it for so long on so many different models?

Oh, and BTW - you're welcome to take my SGS for a spin and get a feel for yourself. Just leave the Street Bob & wife with me as collateral...

Lifer

- - - Updated - - -

Bought it on demand. It was great!

Lifer

Has anyone here ridden the 107, AND the 114?

I am so impressed by the 107, it’s hard to think the 114 could be considerably better!

I bit the bullet and went to the dark side. Bought a Lowrider ST with the 117 over the weekend.

Picking it up tomorrow. Never thought I would own a harley, but this one called to me.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've owned both so I will add my two cents. Right out of the gate I'll say that I'm on the shorter side (5'8") which does come into play with this. I personally really like the ride and feel of the batwing setup, the wind protection is excellent, gauges etc are all within a reasonable distance. The RoadGlide feels much longer up front if that makes any sense? Everything is further away, and with my shorter stature/reach, any hopes of safely reaching the radio controls on the actual unit are gone. Wind protection never felt as good. I love the looks of the shark but from a practicality standpoint the batwing was just always a better fit for me.

The one complaint I do hear from larger riders is that the batwing setup feels claustrophobic in comparison to the shark, but again me being on the shorter side that was never an issue.

Has anyone here ridden the 107, AND the 114?

I am so impressed by the 107, it’s hard to think the 114 could be considerably better!
    I have. The only difference I really noticed is up toward the higher revs. It seems to pull a little stronger up high, but low to mid I didn't notice anything. It's nothing I'd trade my 107 for if it was based on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I bit the bullet and went to the dark side. Bought a Lowrider ST with the 117 over the weekend.

Picking it up tomorrow. Never thought I would own a harley, but this one called to me.
    I've been drooling over the ST line...

I've owned both so I will add my two cents. Right out of the gate I'll say that I'm on the shorter side (5'8") which does come into play with this. I personally really like the ride and feel of the batwing setup, the wind protection is excellent, gauges etc are all within a reasonable distance. The RoadGlide feels much longer up front if that makes any sense? Everything is further away, and with my shorter stature/reach, any hopes of safely reaching the radio controls on the actual unit are gone. Wind protection never felt as good. I love the looks of the shark but from a practicality standpoint the batwing was just always a better fit for me.

The one complaint I do hear from larger riders is that the batwing setup feels claustrophobic in comparison to the shark, but again me being on the shorter side that was never an issue.
    Well I'm 6' even and when I test drove a Road Glide at Bike Week, I hated how far out front the fairing on the RG felt

Never felt crowded on a SG or Ultra.

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother