Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 217

Street Glide Special First Impressions

  1. #101
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,182

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions


    Yeah. My coworker has the QC rack. It is nice. I think there are knock offs of the QC bits that are okay.
    Some of the 3rd party stuff is complete junk. Backrest I had was weird as it was to work with the cop bits or be universal fit or something. Probably a pretty small niche.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #102
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Oh, and over 3000 miles now - probably closer to 3100-3200. By my quick calculations I'm getting between 35-45MPG, obviously depending on riding style. Best I got was commuting only, right up around 45-ishMPG. Six gallon tank takes me about 210 - 270 miles. And other than piss breaks, this is the first bike in a LONG while that I can actually sit on and ride tank-to-tank without having to stop to stretch out and walk around.

    Odd thing though, and maybe it's just me and I'm still working out handling this big ol' pig: I swear I can feel Big Shirl on the back FAR more than I ever did when she'd ride on the sport bikes. Loading & packing aside, I can really tell when someone's back there. Still trying to decipher that.

    Finally managed to grab up a nice used highway peg set-up that actually works for me. Got a chance to get everything mounted and adjusted *just right* only to have the first person to see it point out that the footpegs didn't match the Streamliner set-up for all the other foot controls. Dayumn, these fuckers are picky. I learned a while ago if you can't find it used, wait. What you're looking for will pop up in a week or two. And wouldn't you know it? Found a set of Streamliner highway footpegs for short cake. All in all, the whole thing cost me like $70.00 for the two set-ups, all HD shit. Used the take-off footpegs for barter some work. Also bartered the engine guard clamps I didn't use from the Streamliner footpeg set-up to get my daughter's Caddy CTS4 (remember THAT thing? Almost 200K on the ticker now!) towed to the garage.

    Got some saddlebag guards that need to go on that I keep forgetting about. And the saddlebag cooler so far has been pretty slick. Again, we went with genuine HD on that as well.

    The LED headlight came in, just waiting for the perfect time to install it. I'll be grabbing up Custom Dynamic rear directionals/break lights and their 3-bar taillight that I'll wire for both taillight & break light. I love the front directional/running light set-up I have from them.

    Soooo...what else?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  3. #103
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    I installed the rider back rest and it was magical. Very comfortable. 90 with no shield on? No problem. But it's uglier than homemade soap so I had to take it off.

    Wife and I did about 125 miles the other day on the stock seat and boy was it uncomfortable. I don't know how they manage to make such a large seat suck so bad. We were both moving around in discomfort on the way home.

    I do have a mustang touring seat which hopefully will be comfortable for the both of us.I guess a seat change to make the wife happy isn't too big of a deal.

    Not sure if this will help anyone:

    https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...2600036-a.html

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 07-07-20 at 03:43 PM.

  4. #104
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Oh, and over 3000 miles now - probably closer to 3100-3200.
    Hit 3200 on the nose as I was pulling into my garage yesterday. Between living on a dirt road and the realigning they're doing of Route 28 up by me, the fuggin' thing is a MESS. Thinking tonight's the night to snow foam that bitch and break out some polish.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  5. #105
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I installed the rider back rest and it was magical. Very comfortable. 90 with no shield on? No problem. But it's uglier than homemade soap so I had to take it off.
    Yeah, not a fan of the look of rider backrests. Haven't tried one personally. But I've yet to say to meself, "...man, I really need a backrest...".

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  6. #106
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I ripped my RK for an appointment in town yesterday. Love this bike. Between me and town is all back roads, mostly tree lined with fields on either side. Little 1-lane bridge across the river near the basin above an old little dam where the kids all swim. Putt-putt-putt past them, then lean into it up the hill past a farm. Give it a fist full in the first 3 gears, short shifting. Then drop into 4th and just pop along at 2k RPM, visor open the whole way. Get there and pop the side case open, drop gear in and just walk away. Yeah, I dig this thing.

    What do you guys with aux/driving lamps do with them? Always on?

    With the cop bike the aux lights were the blue emergency flashers in cop-mode. When they convert them for civilian sale they put in regular clear lamps and take out the flasher module. They then hard-wire the lamps to be always on (tied to headlight/ignition). There is an extra switch on the right pod that you can wire to work the aux lights. I have done this. But there is some weirdness. If you forget to turn the aux lights off manually they will be on when you turn the ignition off. I think there is a 10 or something minute timer. But you are still killing battery if/when you forget. I'm thinking of putting the bike back to the aux lights always on with no switch. I think I like having them on all of the time.

    I've got a 2nd flasher switch that is wired to a lead that goes to the tail. Was for the rear flashers in cop mode. I've been trying to think of something amusing to tie into that. Flip up plate. Oil slick. Silly string cannon. Rear LED spot light..
    My Electra Glide is also a former cop bike, that whoever before me had converted to civilian. The aux lights are wired to the right control "Pursuit" switch. The lights are on when pursuit mode is on(red "P" on the gauges) and when I turn it off, the aux go off and they shut off when the bike is off. The left control Siren switch doesn't seem to be wired to anything.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #107
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Oh, and over 3000 miles now - probably closer to 3100-3200. By my quick calculations I'm getting between 35-45MPG, obviously depending on riding style. Best I got was commuting only, right up around 45-ishMPG. Six gallon tank takes me about 210 - 270 miles. And other than piss breaks, this is the first bike in a LONG while that I can actually sit on and ride tank-to-tank without having to stop to stretch out and walk around.

    Odd thing though, and maybe it's just me and I'm still working out handling this big ol' pig: I swear I can feel Big Shirl on the back FAR more than I ever did when she'd ride on the sport bikes. Loading & packing aside, I can really tell when someone's back there. Still trying to decipher that.

    Finally managed to grab up a nice used highway peg set-up that actually works for me. Got a chance to get everything mounted and adjusted *just right* only to have the first person to see it point out that the footpegs didn't match the Streamliner set-up for all the other foot controls. Dayumn, these fuckers are picky. I learned a while ago if you can't find it used, wait. What you're looking for will pop up in a week or two. And wouldn't you know it? Found a set of Streamliner highway footpegs for short cake. All in all, the whole thing cost me like $70.00 for the two set-ups, all HD shit. Used the take-off footpegs for barter some work. Also bartered the engine guard clamps I didn't use from the Streamliner footpeg set-up to get my daughter's Caddy CTS4 (remember THAT thing? Almost 200K on the ticker now!) towed to the garage.

    Got some saddlebag guards that need to go on that I keep forgetting about. And the saddlebag cooler so far has been pretty slick. Again, we went with genuine HD on that as well.

    The LED headlight came in, just waiting for the perfect time to install it. I'll be grabbing up Custom Dynamic rear directionals/break lights and their 3-bar taillight that I'll wire for both taillight & break light. I love the front directional/running light set-up I have from them.

    Soooo...what else?
    Next, is 10" classic apes. Brings the bars just to the top edge of the batwing, and the riding position is so much more comfortable. I'll have to take a ride up at some point and you can take mine for a rip with them and see what you think, but with the 10" you don't have to change any cables, wires, anything. One of the best $100 I've spent.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #108
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,182

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    My Electra Glide is also a former cop bike, that whoever before me had converted to civilian. The aux lights are wired to the right control "Pursuit" switch. The lights are on when pursuit mode is on(red "P" on the gauges) and when I turn it off, the aux go off and they shut off when the bike is off. The left control Siren switch doesn't seem to be wired to anything.
    What year is yours? Mine is subtly different. Maybe because it is a RK and the gauges are different. Maybe its a year thing. (Mine is a '14)
    Mine has a little light icon, not a P. It lights up green for front flashers and amber for rear. It alternates green/amber when both are active.

    If mine turned off with the ignition I'd leave it as it is.

    Supposedly there is a "accessory power on" feature/control that I have no idea how to use. Maybe that's my problem.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #109
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What year is yours? Mine is subtly different. Maybe because it is a RK and the gauges are different. Maybe its a year thing. (Mine is a '14)
    Mine has a little light icon, not a P. It lights up green for front flashers and amber for rear. It alternates green/amber when both are active.

    If mine turned off with the ignition I'd leave it as it is.

    Supposedly there is a "accessory power on" feature/control that I have no idea how to use. Maybe that's my problem.
    Ah ok Mine is a '09

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #110
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Next, is 10" classic apes. Brings the bars just to the top edge of the batwing, and the riding position is so much more comfortable. I'll have to take a ride up at some point and you can take mine for a rip with them and see what you think, but with the 10" you don't have to change any cables, wires, anything. One of the best $100 I've spent.
    Yeah, I'd have to physically try them. I'm pretty comfy with where my stock ones are, but everyone says a little rise to them helps a lot.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  11. #111
    Lifer union's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Blackstone, MA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,589

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to physically try them. I'm pretty comfy with where my stock ones are, but everyone says a little rise to them helps a lot.
    If we can figure out something you can try my bike with the mini apes. I think they are 10 inch. I really like them. I also realize I'm not on a street glide but at the very least it will give you an idea before you spend money.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

    GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

  12. #112
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Mine are 10s too. They are some comfortable but I don't like the style of them. Johnnyv, check out the Paul yaffe 10 monkey bars. They look cool on the street glide.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #113
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Mine are 10s too. They are some comfortable but I don't like the style of them. Johnnyv, check out the Paul yaffe 10 monkey bars. They look cool on the street glide.
    Check out some of the pics of my bike that I've posted in this thread, I put on the Paul Yaffe 10" classics. Honestly, I HATE the looks of the monkey bars with the sharp hard angle at the top. Every other line on the bike is curved, smooth and flows and then you throw on bars with a wicked sharp angle and it just looks so out of place to me

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #114
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Just found the pictures. I forget who owns what for bikes and configurations. I agree, the sharp edges look out of place on that bike.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #115
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Check out some of the pics of my bike that I've posted in this thread, I put on the Paul Yaffe 10" classics. Honestly, I HATE the looks of the monkey bars with the sharp hard angle at the top. Every other line on the bike is curved, smooth and flows and then you throw on bars with a wicked sharp angle and it just looks so out of place to me
    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Just found the pictures. I forget who owns what for bikes and configurations. I agree, the sharp edges look out of place on that bike.
    I'm with you clowns. I cant' stand the sharp angled ones on any model Glide. They look SO out of place.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  16. #116
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Check out some of the pics of my bike that I've posted in this thread, I put on the Paul Yaffe 10" classics. Honestly, I HATE the looks of the monkey bars with the sharp hard angle at the top. Every other line on the bike is curved, smooth and flows and then you throw on bars with a wicked sharp angle and it just looks so out of place to me
    My Street Glide has the mirrors in the fairing. One of my concerns is either obstructing those or having to relocate them. And relocating them is not an option. I LOVE the clean lines of having the mirrors IN the fairing. Another concern is how it'd feel on my shoulder. Yeah, you can add that to the list of injuries that helped get me on a tourer (busted up collarbone & shoulder blade that never healed properly).

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  17. #117
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    My Street Glide has the mirrors in the fairing. One of my concerns is either obstructing those or having to relocate them. And relocating them is not an option. I LOVE the clean lines of having the mirrors IN the fairing. Another concern is how it'd feel on my shoulder. Yeah, you can add that to the list of injuries that helped get me on a tourer (busted up collarbone & shoulder blade that never healed properly).
    I've had surgery on my left shoulder and the slightly higher bar position actually helped compared to the lower stock bars.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #118
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I've had surgery on my left shoulder and the slightly higher bar position actually helped compared to the lower stock bars.
    I'll try anything. But if I so much as lift my arm above my chin the wrong way, where my collarbone broke kind of pops and limits my movement until I "pop it back". Again though, I'll try it out if we ever hook up.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  19. #119
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I'll try anything. But if I so much as lift my arm above my chin the wrong way, where my collarbone broke kind of pops and limits my movement until I "pop it back". Again though, I'll try it out if we ever hook up.
    As for the mirrors, where mine are now mounted(under the controls) looks to be exactly where the line of sight would be to the fairing mount mirrors.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #120
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,459

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    As for the mirrors, where mine are now mounted(under the controls) looks to be exactly where the line of sight would be to the fairing mount mirrors.
    I can't see any mirrors in the pics you posted. Am I just missing them?

    Nevermind. I just checked out the Messenger pics you sent. That's what those are? Mirrors?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  21. #121
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I can't see any mirrors in the pics you posted. Am I just missing them?

    Nevermind. I just checked out the Messenger pics you sent. That's what those are? Mirrors?
    They're actually surprisingly good, I can see a LOT behind me.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #122
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Big fan of the seat so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Street Glide Special First Impressions-img_20200709_163805-jpg  

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #123
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Big fan of the seat so far.
    Nice! Here's a better pic of the Mustang I just put on. Hightail Fastback

    Street Glide Special First Impressions-20200709_172538-jpg

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #124
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    I like the look of that a lot. I wanted the tuck and roll style but I got 10% off through Dennis kirk so I settled for an off the shelf design.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #125
    Lifer JohnnyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westborough, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,187

    Re: Street Glide Special First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I like the look of that a lot. I wanted the tuck and roll style but I got 10% off through Dennis kirk so I settled for an off the shelf design.
    I picked this up off Facebook marketplace, guy bought it and put it on rode once and his wife hated it. It's odd because the label on the bottom with PN says it should be a Mustang Daytripper, but it's actually a hightail fastback however with a pattern that isn't offered on their website so I'm assuming it was a custom order. Comfy as hell though

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •