Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Michelin Pilot Power failure

Michelin Pilot Power failure

My rear tire has been on the bike for 4 months and has 2k miles on it. Lots of life left on the tread but inside some of the groves the tire is cracked.. Time for a new tire?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Michelin Pilot Power failure

Quote Originally Posted by cdseven95 View Post
    My rear tire has been on the bike for 4 months and has 2k miles on it. Lots of life left on the tread but inside some of the groves the tire is cracked.. Time for a new tire?

what is date on manufacture on the tire

did you buy it online?

online tire companies are notorious for selling tires that are already out of date

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

+1
    Wat's the date of manufacture?

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

fourth week of 08 Previous owner put them on and there were no miles on them when I bought it.. I forget where he bought them

Last edited by cdseven95; 07-03-09 at 03:33 PM.

I had the same thing happen to a set that were on my R1. Very small cracks inside the tread, but a awful lot of them. They were bought from the dealer i use, so i would have hoped they were not out dated. When i took them back to question the situation, they just told me not to worry, they have seen much worse. So i continued to ride them with no issues. But i do believe my next set of tires will not be Pilot Powers. Seeing cracks in your tires is not exactly inspiring.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

the last bike i bought had newish Pilot Powers that had this same issue, i just though it was from not driving the bike enough....

I just put a set of PP 2ct's on my new bike and there are no cracks in the tread but i am going to keep an eye on them... Pirelli’s are going to be my next tire since they only last about 6k. Those should be at the end of the season.

did the previous owner park it on concrete? i know my dad parks his corvette on top of carpet in his garage because the concrete dries out your tires over time because he doesn't drive it a lot. Not sure of the validity of this but search around on the topic of Radon gas and concrete. sometimes the aggregate in the concrete emits radon gas and it sit on the concrete and it supposedly accelerates the rubber decaying (only what i have heard, i'm no scientist and i have no idea if it is true) i did a search and i have found no info directly relating the tire thing, but the radon gas from concrete is definitely true.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    the last bike i bought had newish Pilot Powers that had this same issue, i just though it was from not driving the bike enough....

I just put a set of PP 2ct's on my new bike and there are no cracks in the tread but i am going to keep an eye on them... Pirelli’s are going to be my next tire since they only last about 6k. Those should be at the end of the season.

did the previous owner park it on concrete? i know my dad parks his corvette on top of carpet in his garage because the concrete dries out your tires over time because he doesn't drive it a lot. Not sure of the validity of this but search around on the topic of Radon gas and concrete. sometimes the aggregate in the concrete emits radon gas and it sit on the concrete and it supposedly accelerates the rubber decaying (only what i have heard, i'm no scientist and i have no idea if it is true) i did a search and i have found no info directly relating the tire thing, but the radon gas from concrete is definitely true.
    Previous owner bought them and installed them a week before I took the bike as part of the agreement.. I parked it inside on of my living rooms on carpet since I bought it when is was cold.... I commute everyday since and park it on my driveway.

Last edited by cdseven95; 07-03-09 at 05:13 PM.

I wish I could find my camera... But they aren't like typical dry rot cracks.. They are 5mm long tears

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Glad I bought the RoadSmarts. They're pure. If I had cracking anywhere on these tires, I'm have someone's ass with that tires cost these days..

Tears in the grooves? Sounds like an issue for NHTSA or DOT to me. I'd let the dealer or Michelin know that, too.

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42137

That thread is a couple years old. Seems like these tires coming apart isnt new.

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42137

That thread is a couple years old. Seems like these tires coming apart isnt new.
    I ran one of those recalled fronts for maybe 5 or 6 trackdays when I first started doing trackdays in 07. also put a bunch of street miles on them and only replaced them for a new set last season for more track days. they had a good amount of rubber left in the middle and no cracking in the tread.