Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about buying this ducati on cl but...

Lifer

Thinking about buying this ducati on cl but...

Its been for sale for a long time. I actually have emails from the guy last year when he was trying to sell it. He seems legit and even now ive just recently talked to him. I cant for the life of me figure out why it hasnt sold. Its a nice bike, no history to speak of, 20k miles and runs and drives fine. Im not a ducati person and i dont know much about them but this one is pretty decent. Im just wondering if someone else has looked at it previously and caught something i havent. If its been posted this long and hasnt sold id like to know why. Seems to be an about average price, in good shape and nothing seems odd with the owner.

Heres the listing. I just hope this doesnt send someone down to buy that maybe has missed it all this time.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/3108015145.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Thinking about buying this ducati on cl but...

The price seems steep "to me" for a 13 year old bike. Maybe they pull in good money that I'm not aware of. I've got a mint 98 Triumph Daytona and I know I couldn't get anywhere near $4k for it.

Jeff

Lifer

4k is about as cheap as the ducatis get. I havent seen many that go below that. I believe the price is fair for it to my untrained eye. Ive certainly seen worse off duc's go for more which leads me to believe i may be missing something with one.

If i still lived in boston I would have grabbed that up already, what are you waiting for?

The ad seems rather vague.
    Most Ducati owners would offer you specific info regarding service history... i.e. timing belt, valve adjustments, etc.
    It does not sound like you have good vibes to begin with... better off to keep looking.

Lifer

The only reason im nervous is its been for sale for so long. Guy is easy to get in touch with, answers questions for the most part even if i have to lead the conversation and the bike seems good. I know duc's have alot of hidden electrical and internal issues that can pop up. I think someone more familiar with the bikes maybe able to spot things i cant and has passed on the deal. If it was a honda or zuki id have no problems with it. Maintence wise it has none to speak of. Its never driven anymore, has no prior service records, and has no known service changes.
    Im just trying to see if anyone on here has seen it and has any insight on it.

Service is going to be about $1000-1500.

and it is Yellow.

Fair price but could go cheaper in this economy.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

If you don't know the maintenance history on a duc, and you're not familiar with the valve train to do your own service, it can get pricey as doc quoted. Those particular models had flaking rocker arm issues too...most were addressed if properly serviced, but if not, they can be a headache. I'd look for one with some known history. If it was < 3k it would be a different story. Ducatis don't have any more issues than anything else IMHO, but they require timely maintenance.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Another thing to look at is why is he only taking right side pics

Have you ever ridden a 748? What bikes have you had in the past?

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Get a Busa

2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

Sound advice from darkduc7 and Doc.
    Again... without any service history, plan on a costly major service.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Have you ever ridden a 748? What bikes have you had in the past?
    Never ridden a 748 or a duc for that matter. Ive killed far too many twins to ever consider a duc before but at my age i just want a nice looking spare bike. Ive had a few aprilias, rc51's, tl1000's and so on but they never last with me. Im just to hard on them. Now i just want one i can cruise around on. If i was looking for power id be looking at the 916 type but slow is ok for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Never ridden a 748 or a duc for that matter. Ive killed far too many twins to ever consider a duc before but at my age i just want a nice looking spare bike. Ive had a few aprilias, rc51's, tl1000's and so on but they never last with me. Im just to hard on them. Now i just want one i can cruise around on. If i was looking for power id be looking at the 916 type but slow is ok for me now.
    You ride so hard, you just blow up twins huh? Do you change the oil?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    He rides to hard to use oil!

Ive killed far too many twins to ever consider a duc before but at my age i just want a nice looking spare bike. Ive had a few aprilias, rc51's, tl1000's and so on but they never last with me. Im just to hard on them.
    Did you ever happen to work at a Yamaha dealer in Miami? The service manager there told me I rode too hard because my Micron scorched titanium exhaust had "burn marks" on it and clearly showed that I "rode too hard".

Maintence wise it has none to speak of. Its never driven anymore, has no prior service records, and has no known service changes.
    Im just trying to see if anyone on here has seen it and has any insight on it.
    It should have had the valves serviced at 7K ($1K) again at 14K ($1K) and will probably be due for the next service at 21K ($1K). Most owners selling Ducatis will clearly state that these rather pricey service requirements were performed along the way as they make comparing the prices of Ducatis more consistent. As an example, you could find the same bike for $5K with the 21K service already completed so the out-the-door price for $5K Ducati would be comparable if not a better value as you know it's maintenance free for another 7K miles.

Zomg.
    You don't want a 748 then. It's just TOO slow. You'll be bored and have sore wrists from being hunched over in no time.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    I guess so. I just never had much luck with them. Only ones that lasted with me were ex500's. I had particularly poor luck with the honda twins.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Evadd View Post
    Did you ever happen to work at a Yamaha dealer in Miami? The service manager there told me I rode too hard because my Micron scorched titanium exhaust had "burn marks" on it and clearly showed that I "rode too hard".
    What does that have to do with anything im asking about? Are you trying to say something?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Zomg.
    You don't want a 748 then. It's just TOO slow. You'll be bored and have sore wrists from being hunched over in no time.
    Im not so worried about the speed and only mildly concerned about the bad riding position. I barely ride anymore as it is since i moved. I just dont have many good people around to feel safe with riding. Besides i still have a few fast bikes but they just dont do it for me anymore as a "just to bump around bike"

Thats why i asked if you had ever ridden a 748. If ya like the V twins, you will acclimate to it no sweat. Expect it to be herky jerky with the throttle, lots of vibrations and you will be alright. There WILL be a service cost to it, and most likely sooner than later. If youre cool with that, then buy it. You know it will be fun. And as mentioned above, they dont have lots of power. Good luck, i hope you buy it and it works out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    It should have had the valves serviced at 7K ($1K) again at 14K ($1K) and will probably be due for the next service at 21K ($1K). Most owners selling Ducatis will clearly state that these rather pricey service requirements were performed along the way as they make comparing the prices of Ducatis more consistent. As an example, you could find the same bike for $5K with the 21K service already completed so the out-the-door price for $5K Ducati would be comparable if not a better value as you know it's maintenance free for another 7K miles.
    Now see, it's rumors like this that make people think Ducs are expensive to own. If you're paying $1000 for a valve service, you're paying WAAAAAAY too much. Like two to four times too much. Especially on a 748 which is one of the easiest to work on Duc 4v machines you can find.

For this model year, the service interval is 6k, that's a valve check. Belts every other (12k apart) or two years. Unless you thrash the ever loving shit out of it generally speaking you check the valves at 6k, MAYBE make an actual adjustment at 12k, and then they just don't move.

That said, at $4k this bike is priced too high. Recent service or no, it's a 12 year old bike that isn't in crazy demand. That's a big part of why it hasn't moved I'll wager.

i have found people who dont or havent owned ducs never can get there heads around how much they sell for and how much the maintenance is on them. 4k is what 2000+ 748's go for. it doesnt matter what other brands sell for thats how much ducs sell for. It took me 4 years to find my 996 at the right price, with the right history, etc. and it also took me almost that time to accept the prices those bikes go for. compared to the inline bikes in my opinion ducatis are a pain to ride around town. they are very jerky at low rpms and at slow speeds. BUT when you get to open them up there is nothing to compare. they are amazing bikes to ride when you are riding them like they like to be ridden. I would try to talk him down alittle bit only due to the service that is due on the bike. other then that your not going to find a clean 748 for less then what that guy is asking. the 748->998 ducs are my favorite bikes i think that they are the best looking ducaties built to date and though they are lacking on the technology and power compared to the new bikes they are just as much fun and can run with the new crowd good luck

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

I should note, I'm a Duc owner, and have a local Duc shop so I get to see what they go for retail too... a red 748S would be on the showroom floor for quite awhile at $4k, a yellow base 748 personal sale, $4k is too high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast