Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Street rider gets killed by a 17 year old alleged DUI driver in southern RI.

Street rider gets killed by a 17 year old alleged DUI driver in southern RI.

What a shame:

Charlestown police have announced that a 21-year-old Hopkinton man is the motorcyclist who was killed on Route 1 Monday when an impaired driver lost control of his vehicle.

Thomas J. Hug, of 52 Old Hopkinton Cemetery Road, was killed at about 4:11 p.m. Monday.

A 17-year-old teen driver has been charged with driving under the influence, death resulting, according to authorities. Marijuana and liquor were found at the scene, the police said Monday.

Hopkinton motorcyclist ID'd as man killed by alleged drunk driver in Charlestown - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Lifer

Re: Street rider gets killed by a 17 year old alleged DUI driver in southern RI.

That's just sad all around. At 4 in the afternoon on a Monday? WTF? Does this guy not have a friend who can give him a ride somewhere? Ride a bicycle? Stay on the couch? I don't accept, but can at least kinda understand why some people do the stupid things they do. But this one is so frustrating. Two lives ruined.

I wonder if it'd help to teach kids in school how to set up an Uber account or something. At the end of a 'don't drink and drive' lecture encourage them to set up an account and walk them through using it. Kinda like giving out condoms instead of preaching abstinence. We know some of you might do it anyway, so just don't get anyone killed.

nedirtriders.com

Re: Street rider gets killed by a 17 year old alleged DUI driver in southern RI.

18 yo died on my street this past weekend. His friend killed him while driving drunk, he was a passenger in the car. Again, two lives ruined, sad.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

kids won't uber over drink/drug + drive

in their heads it's too expensive...rather spend $8 in gas to go 100 miles vs. $100

just like people who speed on streets vs. track days

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Don't worry he will get hours of community service

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Don't worry he will get hours of community service
    or be like the woman who was a habitual bad driver, killed rider while high, gets short prison term, gets out early, violates probation and sentenced to rehab.

but lets round up guns and hi cap magazines.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

America - the best place to never work, steal, kill people while doing drugs and get away with it!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

I get the joke but technically he's still a minor. Should he not be, and we move the bar for adulthood lower? Or should we not give minors special consideration? I'm not saying he shouldn't get jail time for killing someone, but he's a minor, who did something stupid, and there was no intent.

The woman you're referring to did serve 5 years. I know that doesn't compare to the life she took, but 5 years isn't a short amount of time. Are we going for eye-for-an-eye? Granted, now that she screwed up on probation multiple times I'd say straight back to jail to finish the term.

nedirtriders.com

There's young and stupid, and then there's young and stupid enough to do something *famously and aggressively advertised as being dangerous to other people* that ends up (surprise!) killing another person. I lean pretty heavily in the "don't over-sentence people" direction, but god damn.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

IF you can take on the responsibility of driving, you are now an adult.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    IF you can take on the responsibility of driving, you are now an adult.
    I think I like that. But if so, are we going to lower the definition of adult to 16? Or raise the driving age to 18? I think age of consent is roughly 16 nationally, while you can't drink till 21. And now you're staying on your parents healthcare till 26. I think we need to stop blurring the lines further on adulthood.

nedirtriders.com

Hypertarded

was on the phone with my buddy (Charlestown cop) when he got the call for this accident. Watch for a potential update on this story in the next few days, there MAY be a twist coming......

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I think I like that. But if so, are we going to lower the definition of adult to 16? Or raise the driving age to 18? I think age of consent is roughly 16 nationally, while you can't drink till 21. And now you're staying on your parents healthcare till 26. I think we need to stop blurring the lines further on adulthood.
    Everyone matures at a different rate. I don't have a problem with someone driving when they are 16, but when you take on that responsibility, you are openly admitting that you are responsible enough to be labelled "adult". I feel the same with drinking, etc. The whole healthcare til you're 26 is a bit ridiculous, but that is a discussion for another politically charged thread.