Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Street Triple R vs Street Triple RS

Street Triple R vs Street Triple RS

I have a 2010 Street Triple R, love my bike.

This weekend I saw a Street Triple RS, looks very sharp.
    Curious to know what everyone's experience has been with this, it is about 3K higher than the R version. Worth it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Street Triple R vs Street Triple RS

The RS has “track” mode which gives you more access to adjusting parameters like ABS, etc. It also has a higher spec brakes and suspension.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I believe 2020+ RS models got an up/down quickshifter, which is also on 2021+ R models.
    RS comes with Supercorsas; R comes with something else (Rosso's?).
    RS comes with the TFT dash everyone seems to like; I think the R lost the TFT when it got the blippah.
    Neither has cruise.

I think both bikes are tough to find right now, but not as tough to find as an RS660 (or the new Monster, for that matter).

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Lifer

I have a friend who has both. He uses the R more. He said the RS is terrible on the road compared to the R. Everything that makes it good on the track makes it too harsh for the road i guess.
    Funny thing is he prefers the R on the track as well. Its just better suited to him.

I suspect the RS will be for sale shortly. It just sits in his barn.

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I believe 2020+ RS models got an up/down quickshifter, which is also on 2021+ R models.
    RS comes with Supercorsas; R comes with something else (Rosso's?).
    RS comes with the TFT dash everyone seems to like; I think the R lost the TFT when it got the blippah.
    Neither has cruise.

I think both bikes are tough to find right now, but not as tough to find as an RS660 (or the new Monster, for that matter).
    Trident too. Tons of pre orders

The TFT dash is a sweet option. I played around with one at national power sports in their Triumph inventory. It's a beautiful display loaded with info and intuitive to navigate.

If we're talking 2020+ models here, the RS also has an Ohlins rear shock and different spec Brembos up front. Personally, I think the RS is worth it for the dash, quick-shifter, and Ohlins.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I have a friend who has both. He uses the R more. He said the RS is terrible on the road compared to the R. Everything that makes it good on the track makes it too harsh for the road i guess.
    Funny thing is he prefers the R on the track as well. Its just better suited to him.
    I find this odd as they're basically the same bike (if comparing 2020+ models), the RS just has few nicer additions/tech. I've spent some time on a 2020 RS, I definitely prefer it to the R for the suspension upgrades, dash, and quickshifter.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    If we're talking 2020+ models here, the RS also has an Ohlins rear shock and different spec Brembos up front. Personally, I think the RS is worth it for the dash, quick-shifter, and Ohlins.

I find this odd as they're basically the same bike (if comparing 2020+ models), the RS just has few nicer additions/tech. I've spent some time on a 2020 RS, I definitely prefer it to the R for the suspension upgrades, dash, and quickshifter.
    He prefers the R as its more useable for him, not as harsh or track focused. Even this week he was saying it been too cold to ride the RS because the tires cant heat up enough for him to feel comfortable on it. The R is just better for him. The RS was wasted on him.

To me, this underscores the need for manufacturers to put some effort into making it easier / cheaper to buy extra wheel/tire combos. I'm not sure the Supercorsa is a preferable street tire for anyone, regardless of bike model or geography.

See also: WTF are summer tires doing on any WRX sold in New England? At least when one of those slips like shit below 45 F or in the wet, there are 3 more of them attached...

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

He prefers the R as its more useable for him, not as harsh or track focused. Even this week he was saying it been too cold to ride the RS because the tires cant heat up enough for him to feel comfortable on it. The R is just better for him. The RS was wasted on him.
    I just don't view the RS as any more harsh or track-focused than the R, with the exception of the Ohlins and quick-shifter. Stock-for-stock the R and RS rode almost identically on the street for me...but I don't own either, let alone both simultaneously.

Agreed, someone has over thought this.

Paul_E_D

Looking at the R .. Id never use all the extras on the RS .. unless I was using it for the track, which I don't see myself doing,, and if I did I think the r would be fine for that too. I belive the 2020 has the quickshift as a standard feature now. Im not sure if its just in up shifting or its for up and down shifting. Il have to look into it.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    To me, this underscores the need for manufacturers to put some effort into making it easier / cheaper to buy extra wheel/tire combos. I'm not sure the Supercorsa is a preferable street tire for anyone, regardless of bike model or geography.

See also: WTF are summer tires doing on any WRX sold in New England? At least when one of those slips like shit below 45 F or in the wet, there are 3 more of them attached...
    This! I remember distinctly a cold morning ride to work on January 2nd riding my 2009 Triumph Daytona with Supercorsa R. I made it to the first roundabout and slipped....those tires hate the cold.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Nothing like having the front almost tuck when turning over painted lines on a cold morning.

I recently got a 2021 Street Triple R from National Powersports. Because I was doing the shopping via my PC at home, I saw the bike on the NPS website and went to the Triumph USA website to see more details about what features it had vs the $2K more RS model.

That's where I got VERY confused. Their website, scrolling through with MS-Edge browser, showed me an overview and when I clicked on something to see more detail it ended up showing me details of the 2018 version where it stated it had the TFT screen. The 2021 R version DOES NOT have it, but I was fooled. On Wednesday 3/3 I called and gave them my CC# for a $2K deposit on the one I saw on-line. I made an appointment to go pay the rest and close the deal on Saturday 3/6. When that day came, I was feeling ill so I stayed far away from everyone and kept my mask on snug.

I saw the bike briefly, then went and sat outside the office waiting to sign papers. When it my turn I did the fist bump and had him push papers far across the desk. They told me they would deliver the bike for free the next week. Cool. On Monday the 8th, I tested positive for Covid-19, and man I was sick. By Wednesday the 10th I was downing Tylenol every 4 hours to fight a 101.4 temp and body aches, and they called to say delivery Friday. Thursday I got a chest X-ray the found pneumonia, so started 10 day of antibiotics.

Friday the 12th the truck showed up, the guy rode it into my cellar and I left a disinfected tip for him. I didn't even look at it for 5 days. That's when I called them to ask why this bike didn't have the TFT screen that Triumph's website stated it had...but it was my confusion. I complained and said I wanted to trade for the RS model, but they had a deposit on it and couldn't get one right away. My R version was already registered in MA when it showed up, I even had a temp plate, so I would have taken a huge hit as a previously-titled (used) bike. I decided to just keep it.

I love this thing! The lack of the TFT, plus the slightly higher-spec brakes & suspension mean little to me in the "big picture", as I'm not riding to even 7/10ths of what the bike can do...on the street. I might do an occasional track day, and it's still good for that. The OE quickshifter is well-integrated and a hoot to use. Very happy with the bike!

So far it's only got 400 miles on it, but I've done the pillion footrest delete with EvoTech blanking plates, swingarm spools, seat cowl, and ordered the flyscreen visor. A tail-tidy, chin fairing, and LED turn signals will be next. By the fall, heated grips and the auxiliary power socket will be added. Not a whole lot more. I got the tailpack but no plans for tank bag or any other clutter.

Street Triple R vs Street Triple RS-2021_strett_triple-r_mods-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by ninja-400-girl View Post
    Looking at the R .. Id never use all the extras on the RS .. unless I was using it for the track, which I don't see myself doing,, and if I did I think the r would be fine for that too. I belive the 2020 has the quickshift as a standard feature now. Im not sure if its just in up shifting or its for up and down shifting. Il have to look into it.
    I don't know about the 2020 models with the factory quickshifter, but my 2021 has it and it's really good. It doesn't work as well at very low speeds & RPM, but anything over 4500rpm or so, and it's great! It does blip the throttle for downshifts and they are as butter-smooth as upshifts.

I wish National had told me about their delivery. Cost me 89$ to rent an enclosed trailer plus a full day of driving up there and back, then an additional 100 miles to drop the trailer back off. Two tanks of gas and probably averaging 8mpg on the highway. Literally the last thing the guy says to me is that they would have delivered it for a 100$ fee. Woulda been nice to know that from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I wish National had told me about their delivery. Cost me 89$ to rent an enclosed trailer plus a full day of driving up there and back, then an additional 100 miles to drop the trailer back off. Two tanks of gas and probably averaging 8mpg on the highway. Literally the last thing the guy says to me is that they would have delivered it for a 100$ fee. Woulda been nice to know that from the get go.
    Wow. They had told me $89 to deliver it, then when the guy called to tell which day it would be, he said that it would be FREE! I gave the driver a $40 tip just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Wow. They had told me $89 to deliver it, then when the guy called to tell which day it would be, he said that it would be FREE! I gave the driver a $40 tip just the same.
    I think it's based on distance. I believe that it's free up until CT. Then anywhere in CT is 100$ and outside of New England is 300$.

I think it's based on distance. I believe that it's free up until CT. Then anywhere in CT is 100$ and outside of New England is 300$.
    You may be correct. I'm in Spencer MA, about a 75-80 drive from them just 7.5 miles due west of the Worcester/Leicester line. From one of the Facebook groups it appears they dropped off the Speed Triple RS that I was eyeing to a guy in Tyngsborough MA, which is right on the MA/NH border.

What model & year did you get?

2014 Multistrada S Touring

2014 Multistrada S Touring
    Ah, I see. I thought you had bought a Street Triple of some sort.

Was this recently?

Wow the motorcycle looks great! Enjoy riding, it if you can ever get out with this crazy weather we have around here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Ah, I see. I thought you had bought a Street Triple of some sort.

Was this recently?
    I had the STR from 12-20. Sold it spring of last year wanting to try Harley/ cruiser. Bought a road king. Liked it for a short bit but it was just too god forsaken slow and heavy. I don't see myself getting away from standard/ adv/ sport tour again after trying the multi.

I suspect the RS will be for sale shortly. It just sits in his barn.
    Did your buddy sell his RS yet?