Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

V-Strom 1000 - Good/Bad?

Lifer

V-Strom 1000 - Good/Bad?

I am shopping for a new street bike. I intend to use this bike for my short, 3 mile commute, as well as weekend excursions with my wife. I weigh around 200 lbs, and my wife weighs around 110-120. Both of us are on the shorter side of normal, me at 5'-7", and my wife at 5'-4". I am looking at the V-Strom 1000 mostly because I have read many good things about its seat and riding positions, for both the rider and the passenger.
    I was wondering if the were any Strom 1000 owners here, and I would love to hear what you have to say about this bike.
    The Strom 1000 seems to be the bargain of the open "Adventure" bike class, and I can buy a new Strom 1000 "Adventure" (with side bags and a top case) for around $10k even.
    Is there a better bike for my purposes? I do not ride hard and fast much anymore, but I do like to exercise whatever motor is beneath me. I am older, so I do not want a sport bike. I am more concerned with comfort, reliability, ease of mounting/dismounting, and weather protection. I am also considering a new Gold Wing, but I am thinking that would just be too much to pull that big of a bike out for my short morning commute.
    I will also be shopping for a new, street legal dirt bike at the same time, and I am looking to go with a small 4 stroke this time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: V-Strom 1000 - Good/Bad?

My opinion is based completely on what I've heard and read. I've never even thrown a leg over one but, what's not to like!!! Everything I've seen about the V-Strom is glowingly positive! (Several folks here have 'em so you can expect some more useful feedback!)

I saw a picture of the new Wing....wow, did they hit that with an Ugly stick!

Last edited by DucDave; 12-24-12 at 03:43 PM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I can't speak to the strom but if you are looking for reliable, comfort, and weather protection the wing is hard to beat.

The pic that dave posted is the F6B, where they've dropped the trunk, cruise control, reverse, options for CB, CD player and some other stuff to be more competitive with the Harley baggers.

Is it too much for a 3 mile commute? Maybe. It's not exactly agile at low speeds. It takes some work to get comfortable with low speed handling, but once you get it it's fine.

If you want to ride one you're welcome to take mine for a spin.

At 5'7" it depends on your comfort level. I've heard of taller people who are uncomfortable and shorter people who are fine.

First www.stromtroopers.com

I have an 06
    They are great all around bikes with competence and comfort over a range of activities. From small roads to expressways the mileage will fly by

FYI from 2004 to 2012 there was almost no changes so used is fine. Many have 10]s of thousands of miles and one guy is approaching 250000. Like anything as they age there are problems but the Vstrom community has solutions for all

Some need a little help in the jetting department. If you just accept a PC3 or PC5 or a dyno session to get over the EPA crap you will be a very happy camper. Other than that you can expect 25000 with nothing but tires and oil as maintenance.

She's a little tall but I too am 5'7" and have no problems

PS As extra quirky I have a TW200 for trail duty

Good Luck

Last edited by Stromper; 12-24-12 at 05:12 PM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I test rode an adventure this summer. Smooth, comfortable, locking hard backs that are easily removeable and tons of farkles.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    It's the new Honda-Davidson Gold Glide!

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Lifer

Thank You, Guys! The mew Honda FB-6, or whatever it is called, is out of the running, just because there is no tall back rest available for it. She needs a tall back rest. I know that I could buy 2 1/2 'Strom 1000's for the price of a new 'Wing.
    I have read just a little bit about the 1000. So far, the 3 things that stand out are:
    1) It is very comfortable, but some people still buy aftermarket seats. Passenger comfort seems to be pretty much unparalleled, and at the top of the rankings for any class of bikes, with the exception of the 'Wing.
    2) It does not have the absolutely stellar reliability record of the 650. I have not yet uncovered the details of what they mean by this...
    3) The biggest complaint seems to be that it is ugly and a bit boring. It seems to do pretty much everything well, but the brakes could use help. Suspension could be better, and is easily remedied with Gold Valves and springs, but it seems to work just fine for most people in stock form
    first came out?
    Can anybody tell me what years are carbureted, and what year they went to fuel injection? Was the FI improved in the years after it first came out? I am pretty much hoping to buy a new one (well, a left over 2012, I do not see a 2013 model listed on Suzuki's web site!) at this point...

I rode the DL1000 before a DL650. The additional weight (mostly on the front wheel) and rough engine turned me off. The DL650 outsells the DL1000 by a wide margin because it punches above its' weight and is available with ABS. The good news is that they are very cheap used. I'm sure you can get a stupid good deal on a new one as well, since the replacement has finally been shown, but you'll probably eat it on resale. I believe it will come to the US late 2013 as a 2014 model.

You are on the short side for that bike. Most riders of your stature looking at "Adventure Touring" bikes look at the BMW F650GS, which has a low seat and low suspension option from the factory. The newer model is the F700GS. A second choice would be the Kawasaki Versys, which has a 17" front wheel and is sportier. Finally, the new Honda NC700X is a similar "Bargain adventure bike" also with a 17" front.

Cycle-ergo.com can give you some idea of how you fit these bikes. You never can tell until you try them. There are a ton of standards available with luggage that might fit you better.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-24-12 at 09:48 PM.

Lifer

Thank You for the candid response, Garandman! You are the first person to tell that the engine feels "rough", and I do not doubt you at all. I suspect that the 650 is much smoother. Out of the others you mention, I have considered the Versys and the NC700X. The Versys "looks" taller, although I have not sat on or ridden one. They do get great reviews, though, and are said to have great, sporty motors. I also considered the NC700X, and I am particularly fond of the tank trunk. It has a bargain price ($6,999) and the only thing that bothers me is that I am worried that its bland, utilitarian power delivery may get boring after a short while. I do like some excitement in any bike I end up with. The other thing about both the NC and the Versys is that reviews have not raved about passenger (and pilot) comfort as they have with the big 'Strom.

I did a Suzuki demo day this summer. I road nearly everything they sell include the maxi-scooter (Bergman?).

The DL650 was the only bike I road twice . I think it's pretty awesome as an all around package and I almost bought one as a second bike. To me, the stand out is comfort. Great ergonomics, good seat, good screen. It is a little on the tall side and at nearly 500lbs, a heavier bike than I wanted. But, I felt like I could ride all day on that bike and that's the one thing I sometimes fail to do on the Striple. After a few hours on the highway, my shins feel like they're gonna pop through my knee caps .

In the end, I sacrificed the practical for the silly and got a wr250x for winter. I giggle a lot while I ride it, but I don't ride it for 100-300 miles at a stretch like I know I could with the strom.

PS: If I ever get so old or so broken that I can't shift anymore, I want one of those maxi scooters
    My wife can have the golf cart

Last edited by reks95; 12-25-12 at 12:54 AM.

The Stroms were always FI never carbs. In 2004 I think the ECU went from 16 to 32 bit. However It didn't clear up the rough running

ALLEGEDLY the NEW Vstrom 1000 will be out late 2013 as a 2014. The injection is definitely redone and perhaps removed the quirky.

Except for the correctable lean surging they are fine out of the box. THEY have been around so long that the internet is FULL of 12 years of problems. Few post änother day no difficulties". Most Vstrom owners have like 50,000 miles on them and then in rare numbers they exhibit mechanical difficulties.

Just don't confuse 10 years of rare problems with most have problems.

They will benefit from a little tinkering with the lean, TBS and TPS etc but you could just get on and ride

If you are on roads even dirt ones rather than trails the 650 guys just have CUBE envy

The calculus of hate

Lifer

Great input! I do not think that I will wait for the new model to come out, seeing as there are left over 2011 and 2012 models at great prices, and they are very proven designs. At my age, I do not need the latest and greatest. At this point in my life, I can buy any bike I want to, but price does matter. A 'Wing, at $25k vs. a 'Strom at $10k makes me think a bit. I feel like the 'Wing will be so big that it might prevent me from taking it out for a 10 minute ride. I don't want that to happen. Of course, the solution is really to have more than one bike, and I will, but the other will be purely dirt oriented. The only real decision is between the 'Strom 1000, the 650, the Versys, and the NC700X. The 'Guzzi Stelvio would be in the running if I had a dealership close by. I like unique bikes, just like everybody else. ;-)

the most common failure for V-stroms is the charging system, they also suffer Suzuki budget syndrome in the suspension and fit and finish departments

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Randy - Is there a common "fix" for the charging system?

Lifer

I have read that the suspension and the brakes are only "OK", but I am pretty sure that they would both be fine for me. I could always install gold valves and springs later, myself. Braided lines might help the braking, if I felt it was needed. I get the feeling that there is a lot of aftermarket support for the big 'Strom.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Randy - Is there a common "fix" for the charging system?
    highly recommended is installing a voltmeter to monitor the system, MOSFETT regulators seem to make the system more reliable, most often, the stators burn out on one of the legs, not sure if its cause of marginal oem RR or the stator getting sufficient cooling from the oil, sometimes the PMs come unglued from the rotor

there really isn't a particular problem with the charging systems, just that it seems to be the most common failure that is not a regular wear item like brakes/chain/sprocket/tire

another minor issue is the starter switch, there is no headlight relay, all the juice goes thru that switch and thin wires, installing a relay system will brighten the already awesome headlights and save switch problems in the future

with a voltmeter monitoring the system, you can unplug a headlight or both and maybe make it back to civilization in the even of failure

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I too have a signal dynamics voltage LED.
    The electrics are adequate for operation but there is not much extra available.

I am fine with a Gerbing Jacket/liner on full but that is about it. My personal idea is that the battery better be up to snuff so as not to tax it further

Once again the vast majority just ride them for many thousands of happy miles.

I expect to be flamed but no part of a GoldWing is what/why I have a motorcycle

The calculus of hate

I love my 650. The Wee is just about the perfect street bike to me. It does twisters, dirt roads, highway, etc all incredibly well. In fact, I rode that half the time in Deals Gap and was glad I did every time.

You'll need front springs, emulators and a rear shock. The 1000 seat is a bit higher and flatter and bolts right on. Of course, you could also do it right and get a Russell Day long custom made for you. That's where my stock seat is right now

Brakes are more than adequate for anything including a trackday in stock form. I can't see why anyone would upgrade, including braided lines. Just works so well with plenty of modulation and braking power.

As I said before, come try mine. I think you'll be surprised at how nice the 650 is.

- - - Updated - - -

And over 60mpg is pretty good too. Better than my old KLR!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I also adore my V-Strom 650.

I am 5'11" and find the height to be a handful from time to time. The rear suspension yields itself to being lowered easily via one of several aftermarket kits. I would go that route were I you. The 650 has a cut down saddle vs the 1000. The 650 saddle sucks. It's on my short list to replace. Swapping to a thicker, better shaped 1000 saddle is popular. But that makes the bike even taller. Were I you, I'd consider the lowering links.

I love the V-Strom because it is relatively cheap, good fun. The bike is very good at a large number of things. It isn't super-bike fast, but then it isn't cruiser slow either.

I have slapped side cases on and drive the thing anywhere.. from commuting, to chasing sport-bikes, to hardware-store runs, to light grocery getting, to whatever. Major super-slabs at 80+ MPH, up on the pegs dodging mud pits on class 6 roads. It does everything well enough for me, although nothing perfectly well.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Great input! I do not think that I will wait for the new model to come out, seeing as there are left over 2011 and 2012 models at great prices, and they are very proven designs. At my age, I do not need the latest and greatest. At this point in my life, I can buy any bike I want to, but price does matter. A 'Wing, at $25k vs. a 'Strom at $10k makes me think a bit. I feel like the 'Wing will be so big that it might prevent me from taking it out for a 10 minute ride./
    You really have to sit on them and ride them first. If you like it, knock yourself out.

I seriously doubt that at 5'7 you will be able to flat-foot the bike, even with your passenger. In addition, there are many people who think they want the DL1000 (like me) who don't like it after riding one. I was so turned off that I didn't even want to try a DL650, and now I'm on my second one. Can it be lowered? Sure - but to what purpose?

Do you think there's going to be some big performance benefit of the DL1000 compared to the DL650 or one of the other middleweights? The performance difference at any speed remotely legal is minimal, at the expense of lower MPG, poorer handling, and no ABS. Is this just a liter bike thing? The DL1000 is one of the slowest liter bikes around.

You seem to be interested in it mainly because of the low price. Be advised that when you try to sell it, you're going to find out why, since the demand is so limited. The DL10000 was left on the market, virtually unchanged, from 2002. It's not a particularly bad bike - but for $10,000 and your stated purposes it would barely make my top 10. The new model appears to have addressed many of these concerns and may be a hit.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-25-12 at 04:05 PM.

Lifer

Is this a "Liter Bike thing"? No. Not at all. It is a comfort thing. Comfort for pilot and passenger. I do not desire ABS, but I will pay for it if I have to. I am a well experienced dirt bike guy (Enduro's, Turkey Runs, and Hare Scrambles - no MX), used to riding hard and fast, in rocky terrain, on tall bikes, and I prefer simplicity. If there are other bikes that would better suit my purposes, I would love to hear what you recommend. After watching and searching pretty much everything, the big 'Strom is where I landed. The "spy pics" of the new one make me like the old one better, even though the new one is supposed to have radial brakes and inverted forks. Neither is of much consequence to me, and the beak is ugly. Conventional forks seem to be less prone to leaks, and work just as well, in my experience. JMO.
    Besides the 'Strom, I had considered a nice, used RW&B Anniversary Edition VFR800, but I did not think that my passenger would be happy with that. So, it is as much about her, as it is me. How about a Stelvio? I'd *Love* a Griso, but, again, the passenger accommodations look sparse. A big FJ? We tried an older Concours, and she hated it. She did not like the way the seat slanted forward, and her legs felt cramped, if that tells you anything. Oddly, I just sold my DR650, and she said that was the most comfortable bike she has tried so far. I had dropped the passenger pegs by about 4", and had a Seat Concepts seat. When I look at new bikes now, I immediately look to see how hard it is to drop the passenger pegs... It makes a huge difference.

I'll throw some ideas out there.
    Concours 14
    Tiger Explorer
    Trophy
    R1200RT
    R1200GS

Jeff

Just for reference, my dad has an R1200RT (Low version) and he's about 5'6"-5'7" with a 28-29" inseam and he rides 2 up with my mom on the back all the time with no issues. There are low versions of the GS as well. I sat on a "low" GS and I could flat foot with a 30" inseam.

Jeff

If passenger comfort is really the primary concern, bring the SO and come ride the wing.

There's really no equal in that aspect.

If I recall correctly, the 650 and 1K have the same ergo's aside from the seat.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast