Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on the V-Strom DL1000? Others?

Thoughts on the V-Strom DL1000? Others?

A coworker friend of mine who just got into riding earlier this year (I converted 3 people since I've started working here) has decided that his 05 SV650n is too small for him and not commuter friendly enough. His knee has begun to bother him on the SV due to the angle of his legs on the pegs. He is very seriously looking at larger bikes, with the idea that he will give the SV to his wife who is currently riding a small, slow and boring cruiser. Here are the stipulations:

Would like more power than the SV
    Wants a bike that is decently sporty, decently practical but not goofy looking
    Needs a larger bike that he can stretch out on
    Wants hard bags
    Doesn't want to pay a lot
    Wants reliability (that doesn't necessarily mean he wants a Japanese bike)

After mulling over a few options, I came to the conclusion that his best options were bikes like the V-Strom 1000 and the Triumph Tiger. On a whim I showed him the Buell Ulysses and he fell head over heels for it, but it's a tough find, is rather expensive and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in reliability. But we also found V-Strom 1000's in the area that are seem super cheap, like for instance an 02 with 35,000 miles, hard bags for $3500.

Anyone have experience with a DL1000? How do they fit the above requirements? Any known issues with them? Any alternative recommendations that I didn't mention?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Re: Thoughts on the V-Strom DL1000? Others?

I'll throw it a different way, what about a Concours 14 (or the like)? If he's commuting any distance that wind protection would be nice. And you can find them decently priced.

My buddy just bought one a couple weeks back. He has an SV and a Wee. Loves the power of the Vee.

I'd avoid that one in Rindge if that's the one you are taking about. He looked at it in person. Seemed very fishy and was on CL for cheaper a few months ago from a different seller......

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I was on my 3rd stator in my Vee by 59k, also although my rotor magnets are still in place, magnets coming unglued is not uncommon

ya, V-strom 1ks have been known to have charging system problems

most of my other issues have been self inflicted (replace cancerous wire harness, sensors etc) by riding in corrosive salty slushy conditions

my choice today for an adventure bike would be a Tiger or Tenere or maybe a Stelvio if I had a more local Guzzi dealer

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

So he's been riding less than a year? I'd say the V-Strom would be ideal for commuting, but what about an FZ6? Has more power than the sv650, can put on hard bags, very reliable, and super cheap. Might be a better progression for a still learning rider? Also, did I say how cheap they are?? I picked up one for next to nothing and have been enjoying it quite a bit on my commute everyday.

Vstrom 1k isn't a rocketship, a rider with a year of experience should have no problem on it. It is less than 100hp.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    So he's been riding less than a year? I'd say the V-Strom would be ideal for commuting, but what about an FZ6? Has more power than the sv650, can put on hard bags, very reliable, and super cheap. Might be a better progression for a still learning rider? Also, did I say how cheap they are?? I picked up one for next to nothing and have been enjoying it quite a bit on my commute everyday.
    doesn't the FZ6 have similar cramped legroom and the lil SV

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I've never been on a vstrom. IMO FZ6 is larger than the SV, but it's been a few years since I've been on one. I'm 6'0" with long(ish) legs and don't have any trouble

just throwing it out there as a suggestion. I saw an 07 FZ6 sell for $2k the other day. Can't get much better than that!

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 10-25-13 at 08:20 AM.

We were also looking at the FZ6, but he's thinking it's also going to be too cramped for him. I made an error in my first post, he already has an 03 SV650n, not an 05, which is actually the less cramped SV.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    My buddy just bought one a couple weeks back. He has an SV and a Wee. Loves the power of the Vee.

I'd avoid that one in Rindge if that's the one you are taking about. He looked at it in person. Seemed very fishy and was on CL for cheaper a few months ago from a different seller......
    Good to know, he actually just mentioned that one. I'll let him know.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

There are a few DL1000 fans on here. I'm not one of them, YMMV. I've had two DL650's and rode a DL1000 before I bought either of them.

You can buy used DL1000's really cheap. And a lot of them have aftermarket springs and windshields and bags.

The V-Strom is a very big and long bike so there's a ton of room for rider and passenger. ABS is not available, although it will be standard on the resurrected bike. There are few problems, with the 02 significantly the worst but the survivors are generally sorted out. Many of these bikes have gone 100K miles with nothing but routine maintenance. 5.8 gallon fuel tank made them seem top heavy but gives you a lot of range.

Clutch chudder was an early complaint, and some fueling issues and a chain misalignment problem. You will find many DL1000's with Power Commanders. They don't all run poorly and I rode an 07 that ran great. Some say the gearing is too high to use 6th other than at high speeds and changed sprockets to gear it down. Others like the relaxed cruising rpms. BTW with aftermarket exhaust they sound fantasitc. and a 996cc twin is pretty torquey and easy to live with.

Have a 2008 Tiger 1050 since last year. Substantially more power, substantially higher spec brakes, suspension, and fit/finish. Slightly more mainstream looks than the V-Strom but all those upright tourers. / adventure / tourers are a little odd looking. Shorter so a little less room for the passenger. Similarly huge aftermarket. They have actual resale value and don't usually sell for less than $6,000 for an 07 non ABS unless the owner is desperate for some reason. They are reliable but the Suzuki is simpler has even fewer problems. My "problems" with the Tiger this far consist of a failed rear brake switch, a bad battery, and Triumph uses a non-standard bulb for turn signal lights you have to get at the dealer. But they are only $5 each....

DL1000's tend to sit on the market for a long time, so if there was ever a bike to low-ball the owner....

HTH.

Lifer

My beef with the V-Strom (all flavors) for newer riders is that it is tall and top-heavy.

Were I shopping right now, my shortlist would include; Tiger 1050, Tiger 800, new FZ-09, Yami Super10, maybe the new DL650.
    I also have a strange affliction for the ST1300, although I honestly can't explain why.. nor do I expect anyone to agree with that pick.

The new/future DL1000 looks interesting. Although I'm still waiting to see pricing and if they actually improved the engine at all. Prevailing wisdom (which I have bought into) is that the power gains the DL1000 brings to the table vs the 650 aren't worth the cost and weight deltas. You and your coworkers mileage may vary here.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I'll throw it a different way, what about a Concours 14 (or the like)? If he's commuting any distance that wind protection would be nice. And you can find them decently priced.
    Hmm, I always thought they were like VFR's and more sport than touring, but after looking at Cycle-Ergos it looks like that might not be true. I'll have to look into it.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I have a DL-650 (2012) and my brother has a DL-1000. They are both fantastic bikes. I would say, though, that one of the most spacious bikes I have ever ridden was a KZP-1000. The ergonomics felt wide open compared to both DL's. The KZP-1000 has floor boards, but can get around surprisingly well. They are reasonably priced, EZ to work on, and parts are everywhere.
    For the record - My brother's comments upon riding my new DL-650, compared to his 1000 were: "Very nice! It feels very similar to my bike (the 1000), except that all of the bad things are 60% worse on the 1000 - specifically, the top heaviness, and the vibration and "chugging" at low engine speeds. The seat on my 1000 is better."

Last edited by gregp; 10-25-13 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post

Let's try to talk him into a Wee, I need to sell mine! They are super fast, make chicks wet, and generally add to the length and sometimes girth of your manhood.

I started on an sv650s, I liked the bike, but I have had two back surgeries so when I got to ride theiglu's dl650 I really loved the comfort of the bike. I picked up a dl650 at the beginning of this season but it just lacked the excitement my SV had. I was a little concerned about this when I bought it since it is the same engine but EFI and detuned and in the end it just didn't bring a smile to my face like the SV did. I really wanted a triumph tiger 1050, but they are out of my price range. I just picked up a dl1000 and its awesome. The engine is not nearly as smooth and refined as the 650, but way better in the power department and I completely love the bike.

The gray one in Rindge, NH is in great shape and seems to run well. It was on CL a month back for $3400 obo IIRC and now the guy is listing it for $4k, the guy selling it now bought it and only had it for a month and is selling it for more. When I went to see it he didn't even have the title from the registry yet. It has really bad clutch chudder and the handling was off, it felt kind of vague and unresponsive. At the time I wondered if this was just the way the Vee feels, because I have read a lot of reports about how it doesn't handle like the Wee. I passed and ended up finding one in western mass and it didn't feel AT ALL like that one, so it must just be that bike.

Lifer

Tiger 800. Boom, done.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The DL1000 has a few not-uncommon issues that might be encountered; the DL650 has proven to be the more popular bike in part because it doesn't have any of those issues, handles a little better due to lighter weight, and of course costs a bit less. Your friend would be well-advised not to get hung up on the power issue; the 650 is plenty powerful enough for sporty riding and getting expensive tickets.

But both versions of the V-Strom fail in the not-goofy-looking department.

If your buddy can manage to spend more money, the new DL650 is a significant improvement in many ways. This is evident even just sitting on one in a showroom. I put 40,000 miles on my '08 DL650 before selling it to my dad in 2011, so I'm very familiar with the first-gen bike. The new revised one is much nicer as soon as you swing a leg over it. Nicer cockpit, better seat, very natural footpeg/handlebar positioning, and overall fit&finish seem to be improved. And it's actually a fairly good-looking bike now. Add this to the improved engine and suspension, and the apparently very good ABS system, and it's a pretty compelling package.

Another option would be the newly-revised DL1000 that was recently announced.

But all that said, if your buddy can afford to spend close to $10k, he owes it to himself to try a Tiger 800. It's a better bike than the Strom in just about every way, is super fun to ride, is just as reliable, and has a lot more personality.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

The Wee is probably out of the question, as are new bikes. Like I said, he really wants something with more power than the SV.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

OP, you neglected one very important detail: his budget. So expect a turbo 'busa to become the consensus recommendation in a few pages.

There are plenty of BMW R1100GS, R11100R, R1150GS, R1100R, and maybe even an R1200R that may fit the bill: all depends on his budget.

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    Tiger 800. Boom, done.
    Yeah, combines the mass, price and mediocre mpg of a liter bike with the lack of power of a 650! Awesome!

Last edited by Garandman; 10-25-13 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Hmm, I always thought they were like VFR's and more sport than touring, but after looking at Cycle-Ergos it looks like that might not be true. I'll have to look into it.
    I'd put the Connies and FJR in the same camp as far as sport touring. They definitely tour better than sport, but if your friend is not looking to drag knees through the back country, they are a good choice. Both are pretty upright and comfy, great for a passenger as well as they don't sit really high. The Connies for some reason sell for less. I just sold my FJR and it was a good bike, but it wasn't for me.

And as far as power, he'll think someone installed a JATO compared to his SV.

Last edited by Falko; 10-25-13 at 10:09 AM.

I don't think he has a concrete budget, but I'm guessing he'd rather not go over $6k or so. The cheaper the better really.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

BMW R-RT bikes may fit that bill. I think the 1100's and 1150's are in that price ball-park. I have several in my circles that claim they are indestructible as long as you take care of them.

Honestly, last time I rode an 1150RT, my hair wasn't exactly blown back. I was riding a Bandit 1200 at the time and found the BMW pokey.

I think I'd get a DL1000 before the BMW though. And definitely any of the Triumphs before the DL1k.

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    Tiger 800. Boom, done.
    "doesn't want to pay a lot"

Tiger 800 done. Boom.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

He's got a point. Not a single used Tiger 800 on CL within 200 miles of me.
    But then maybe that's a good sign.

Actually a Bandit might be a good choice too, if he's aiming for cheapest price with reliability.

Lifer

Newer 1250 maybe. I owned and enjoyed a 1200 for a decade. But I wouldn't recommend one to anyone unless you are just looking for a really cheap bike for kicks. You can do way better with his budget nowadays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast