Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Highway riding

Highway riding

I've probably put over 1000 miles on the highway (90 mile daily commute adds up quick), but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything dangerous.

What lane do you ride in?

What part of the lane do you like and why?

Do you tuck down?

Speed?

I like to ride in a tuck on the highway...it's just quieter and more comfortable, especially without the turbulence when you're behind another car. I like to ride in the left lane primarily, with my headlight in either mirror of the car in front of me. If it's heavy, fast moving traffic, I tend to stick towards the dotted line, with my headlight in their passenger mirror. I feel that this lets them see me, it gives me a little bit of 'clean' air off (less head knocking turbulence), and one push on the right bar and I'm either in the middle or right lane if an emergency should arise. I also average about 80-85, but I try not to 'stick out' in traffic - I won't blast by everyone, but if someone is flying, I'll hang out about 1/8th mile back of them.

Am I doing anything wrong? They just don't talk about highway shit at the MSF, and I've never really asked any questions about it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Highway riding

i ride about 60 miles daily, all highway. speed definetly depends on traffic. if the highways are empty, im usually passing everyone. if there busy, i try to stick to the middle lane, and i give the car in front of me about 2 car lengths. im rarely under 80mph uinless its heav heavy traffic. i dont usually ride in the left lane. i like the middle lane because you have more options of where to go, plus i feel like cops look for people who travel in the left lane, since i beleive technically you arent spposed to. i dont usually duck down unless speed requires it, but at 80 i can take the wind pretty well. i like what you said about keeping your headlight in the driver or passenger mirror,i think thats a very safe way to approach the "how can i be seen" question. i also drive with my brighties on at all times, during the daylight hours. i also have 2 rotaries to deal with, those are fun (summer on the cape is crazy)

all in all ive never been in a dangerous situation on the highway. it sounds to me like the way you ride will prevent you from getting into any as well. good luck, and make sure you hit the twisties on the weekend to prevent your tire from flattening out.

Tony
    '02 954RR

Things that make you go hmmmm

Highway riding

I should mention that I'm on 101E and W daily...and it's only two lanes.

Lifer

Highway riding

Don't follow my example, but here is a typical commute for me.

Leave my house, warm my tires on the couple turns and intersections through the city streets on the way to the highway. Do not wait for traffic and cut to the front of most lines at stop lights ( at a slow pace if there's room). Break late and slide the rear end for corners and intersections I don't have to stop for. Get to the rotary, merge in and throw the bike down low around it (about 180 - 210 degrees) bounce up second gear wheelie and ride it down the on ramp, if traffic is light, keep it up onto the highway. Blast up to slightly faster than traffic and merge in. Put on a pace of around 5-15 miles per hour faster than traffic, a good amount of looking and lane changing is done. Get past usual traffic jam at 128 intersection, take my exit, hang tight corner and rip up the windy road to the front gates of my office, sometimes throw up a little wheely on the industrial road if there's no cars.

hessosquid?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Highway riding

Highway riding
    It scares some people
    But my response to them is...
    "Every one is going in the same direction
    and there aren't any intersections and driveways to worry about."
    So....
    Make your own Space to leave your self reaction time and an escape route.

If I can't lead the pack, and I get stuck behind a vehicle,
    I ride where ever my best visibility is, so I can see around
    said vehicle. My biggest fear is not seeing that Tire Carcass
    coming from under the vehicle in front of me. That said, I try
    to stay away from the breakdown and access lanes, because
    that is where the debris collects.

'03 VFR SILVER

I am the Plate, Step Up to Me

Highway riding

I stay one lane over from the left while cruising in both my car and motorcycle. I change to the left lane for passing.

With the bike I usually maintain a speed that is slightly faster than 90% of the traffic around me so I am overtaking the vast majority of vehicles on the highway in order to minimize the amount of surprises from behind. I check my mirrors frequently to watch for faster traffic and cruisers. I like to use the whole lane while riding. I'll move back and forth depending on the conditions, visibility, and the type of vehicle I'm passing.

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

Highway riding

I love riding on the highway. I usually hang in the center lane and stay a few car lengths behind. I do try to make sure that the person in front of me is aware that I'm there, and get in a position in the lane so that they can see me in their mirrors. If there is a pack of vehicles, I will speed up to pass, so that I'm not stuck in a situation that won't allow an escape route if necessary. I generally do about 80. As for tucking down, I generally do that when I'm crossing bridges because of the crosswinds and whenever I feel the need, such as speeding up. I usually don't have to tuck though.

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

Highway riding

I've noticed that most highway riders don't tuck...but I tend to get blasted by the wind, and given the choice between tucking and being calmer, and sitting upright and getting knocked around, I usually choose to tuck in. I guess I'm just wierd...

Everybody to the limit!

Highway riding

Originally posted by FazerChic
    I love riding on the highway.
    Seriously? Why?

My only rule for highway riding is: if you absolutely have to, don't.

Highway riding

i like riding on the highway when i am alone.

i blast around and look for a car with a cute female operator to play around with. passes the time pretty well when i am heading to NY or CT to visit family.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Highway riding

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Seriously? Why?
    Because I can go really fast when I'm alone.....

My shit:

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Highway riding

now even faster with the FZ i bet. how's it compare anyways?

Highway riding

Originally posted by bump909
    now even faster with the FZ i bet. how's it compare anyways?
    Don't know....yet. I'm hoping it will be registered today - FINALLY! Can't wait to take it out for a spin.

My shit:

Everybody to the limit!

Highway riding

Originally posted by FazerChic
    Because I can go really fast when I'm alone.....
    Well I guess there's that. I dunno, whenever I'm on the highway with my bike I get to thinking about how much happier I'd be in my car, with it's CD player and air conditioning and plush leather seats...I guess this is why people get Goldwings

Highway riding

I hate riding on the highway and only do it out of necessity...but a coupe things i do is I make sure I never stay on the side of someone...make sure you are either in front or behind them..

Almost always ride faster then traffic...moving targets are harder to hit

ALWAYS stay away from trucks....if I'm in traffic and because of the line of traffic it puts you next to one...i slow down until the car in front is passed and blast by...never ever ride behind a truck...for one if they blow a tire it could take your head off and if there is something in the road and they stradle it..you'll never be able to get out of the way....

when going faster always I always pay attention to the line the cars on the side of me are taking....people tend to creep into your lane...

Highway riding

Speaking of people creeping into your lane, what do you guys do during rush-hour-y times when the traffic is almost at a standstill? I have this bad habit of having cars try to share a lane with me when I am on the bike, regardless of where I am in the lane. I don't mind as much if it is another motorcycle (just don't crowd me if I need to escape for whatever reason), but last time I wasin traffic, I had two sedans try to share my lane within 10 mins. I must be doing something wrong. Like riding a bike in traffic.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Highway riding

Originally posted by mzdagrl
    I have this bad habit of having cars try to share a lane with me when I am on the bike, regardless of where I am in the lane.
    First I knock on their window. 9,999 times out of 10,000 that straightens them out. Keep it up and they get a smashed side view mirror or kicked in door panel depending on how I feel at the moment.

Highway riding

Originally posted by mzdagrl
    Speaking of people creeping into your lane, what do you guys do during rush-hour-y times when the traffic is almost at a standstill? I have this bad habit of having cars try to share a lane with me when I am on the bike, regardless of where I am in the lane. I don't mind as much if it is another motorcycle (just don't crowd me if I need to escape for whatever reason), but last time I wasin traffic, I had two sedans try to share my lane within 10 mins. I must be doing something wrong. Like riding a bike in traffic.
    typically i would do something like this...

lift my visor..lay on the horn and shout obsenities with the theme of get teh fuck out of my fucking lane you ignorant asshole.....or something to that effect....they usually get teh point and back off....

if they dont I go to zx12's plan...

Highway riding

Originally posted by bigred875
    typically i would do something like this...

lift my visor..lay on the horn and shout obsenities with the theme of get teh fuck out of my fucking lane you ignorant asshole.....or something to that effect....they usually get teh point and back off....

if they dont I go to zx12's plan...

My shit:

Lifer

Highway riding

I shout, beep, will throw a kick to the door if I'm moving and they're just not paying attention and coming into my lane. In stand still, on the rare chance I'm not splitting traffic and they don't respond to yelling hand gestures and horn I will navigate directly in front of them and light up the rear tire. Oh and there's engine revving involved in there somewhere.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Highway riding

I don't waste my time with my weak horn, twisting the throttle is much more annoying to them and works better... loud pipes saves lives don't you know

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Highway riding

Originally posted by hessogood
    I shout, beep, will throw a kick to the door if I'm moving and they're just not paying attention and coming into my lane. In stand still, on the rare chance I'm not splitting traffic and they don't respond to yelling hand gestures and horn I will navigate directly in front of them and light up the rear tire. Oh and there's engine revving involved in there somewhere.
    All that you wrote is exactly why I no longer will ride to work, with some exceptions. I feel like I'm just pushing my odds everyday to either get hit or arrested. Too many damn assholes that don't know how to drive and haven't had their first cup of coffee for me to be out riding aggressive. I have no patience for traffic when I'm on a bike too.

...As for highway riding I usually try to stay in the middle lane and just go at whatever speed I want.......sometimes means alot of lane changing if its 20 MPH above what traffic is doing.
    I'm pretty mellow and consistent though when riding with other riders.....especially ones not comfortable with that kind of riding.

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

Highway riding

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    First I knock on their window. 9,999 times out of 10,000 that straightens them out. Keep it up and they get a smashed side view mirror or kicked in door panel depending on how I feel at the moment.
    Just be careful...Alot of road rage lately...

" It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I Dance With Will

Highway riding

Originally posted by vrginrider
    Just be careful...Alot of road rage lately...
    not a lot but watchout for the gun.

"fuckit!"

Highway riding

Originally posted by RandyO
    ................. loud pipes saves lives don't you know

I know this all too well. Yesterday I was working and this guy was having a heart attack so I got my bike revved it up and saved his life.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast