Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

08 Ducati

08 Ducati

just curious, what does everyone think about the 2008 1098r...for 40 grand. i know that ducatis are nice and all, and alway expensive. but 40 thousand seems to be taking it too far. you could buy a new zx10, r1, gsxr1000, and cbr1000 for the same as one (slower) ducati.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1995 Yamaha FZR600- my learner, sold
    2001 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750- cutoff by an illegal U-turner and totaled
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen... R1s are a hot commodity, huh? any anti-theft system suggestions?

Current: 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1

BenSmith

Re: 08 Ducati

but those bikes arent v-twins & everyone loves the roar of those italian bikes.
    for $40k, id rather have a 1098, 848, and down payment on a house with a garage.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

you could probably buy any of those jap bikes brand new, and put a v-twin engine in with a bit of work and money, and still have spent less than 40 thousand haha. i think its just a damn high price to pay, considering ducatis are usually owned even by smaller jap bikes

2007 Yamaha YZF-R1- stolen... R1s are a hot commodity, huh? any anti-theft system suggestions?

BenSmith

I saw one at Seacoast last week. Its an absolute stunner....with the identical DTC (Ducati Traction Control) algorithym as their WSB and MotoGP bike. Naturally, there is no where on ther street where that kind of performance makes any sense and it is way overkill for NHMS. Perhaps Miller, Daytona, or Laguna Seca but otherwise you really have to go overseas to really take advantage of the performance.

People that purchase this bike don't find the 40k intimidating. They have more money than sense. And if I had the money I'd be one of 'em!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

yea if i had nothing better to do with 40 k then id probably get one too just for the hell of it

BenSmith

The bike was only released to the public to get around the production rule for racing. Otherwise, we wouldn't even have it available. The bike does come with some differences between the other 1098's though.

All of the body work is carbon fiber, it comes with traction control, the suspension is slightly different (linkage and such) than the regular 1098's, it comes with two exhausts and ECU's, the engine is actually punched out to 1198cc's and I believe the internals of the engine are titanium. The wheels are magnesium. The Ohlins suspension is better than the Ohlins that comes on the S model too I believe.

The bike is impressive when you get to see it up close. My dealer has one with a sold sign on it. The guy is coming up from Mississippi to get it I believe.

If you're going to buy that bike, just like the Desmo...you're not worried about the money.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by *GhostRide37 View Post
    you could buy a new zx10, r1, gsxr1000, and cbr1000 for the same as one (slower) ducati.
    considering ducatis are usually owned even by smaller jap bikes
    Where do you see this?

Ducati's do not get " "

I beg to differ. They are doing quite well in ALL the racing circuits.

Now Kawasaki on the other hand...

I dare say they hold there own on the street as well. As long as the owner is not some RUB... But then again some people could most likely OWN a squidly R1 rider on an EX250...

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

well in terms of basic performance, the gsxr 1000 out does a 1098 (at least the other year models) in just about every category you can think. ducatis, if im correct, usually have slightly more low end power, but a gsxr would take a 1098 in any race if you ask me. which would i rather have with price out of the picture? a 1098. got to sit (not ride) on some at the bike show at the expo center. it just feels so right

BenSmith

no......i sat or an 848 and 1098. i think years 06 or 07, something newer. im about 6'3, and it really made me feel freer. the seat felt really high and the tank was narrow and not too huge. i liked it...apparently some people dont

BenSmith

.............this is a pic of it actually.

Last edited by *GhostRide37; 04-06-08 at 06:49 PM. Reason: chill

BenSmith

When I sat on mine before I bought it, it seemed to fit me well and it made me want to buy it even more. I'm happy with how mine "fits" and I'm 6'2", 230-235.

Shane

well in terms of basic performance, the gsxr 1000 out does a 1098 (at least the other year models) in just about every category you can think. ducatis, if im correct, usually have slightly more low end power, but a gsxr would take a 1098 in any race if you ask me. which would i rather have with price out of the picture? a 1098. got to sit (not ride) on some at the bike show at the expo center. it just feels so right
    I thought your original post was asking about the 1098R....which is a very different beast than the 1098 or 1098s. I would put the 1098R up against any other off the floor liter bike....and yes...its 4x the price.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Here is someone that measures performance by manufatures claims of rwhp and how much after market bling you can get for it. Have you ever raced in anything but a straight line?

Adobe Certified Expert, Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Certified Professional, Flash CS4

all of you who hate ducs can't afford it thats why

Quote Originally Posted by 08DUCATI848 View Post
    Says you...

Quote Originally Posted by nefarious View Post
    Here is someone that measures performance by manufatures claims of rwhp and how much after market bling you can get for it. Have you ever raced in anything but a straight line?
    If that was directed at me I actually measure performance by how they do in MotoGP and WSB. And you clearly miss my point completely. For 40k you get very damn near the same bike they race in WSB. And for 10k you can by any UJM which is very good...and certainly likley to win against a 1098 or 1098s. But you would have to put a lot of dough into a UJM to bring it close to a 1098R. Even so, on many tracks a stock UJM liter bike might be able to beat the 1098R. But on the WSB and MotoGP tracks the Ducati is quite able to beat even the factory Hondas, Suzukis and Kawasakis.

And if you had ever seen my track bike you would know for sure that 'blings' not my 'thing'.

...and no, I've never raced in anything other than a straight line....cheesh

Last edited by DucDave; 04-06-08 at 08:12 PM.
    Muhammad Ali.

The 1098R has forged Aluminum wheels, not magnesium. The crank is lightened, it's got a slipper clutch, ti connecting rods, larger valves, sandcast lighter cases and covers, dual injectors running staggered per cylinder, traction control, oodles of carbon fiber, Ohlins front and rear (including a TTX shock)... It's a trick piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    If that was directed at me I actually measure performance by how they do in MotoGP and WSB. And you clearly miss my point completely. For 40k you get very damn near the same bike they race in WSB. And for 10k you can by any UJM which is very good...and certainly likley to win against a 1098 or 1098s. But you would have to put a lot of dough into a UJM to bring it close to a 1098R. Even so, on many tracks a stock UJM liter bike might be able to beat the 1098R. But on the WSB and MotoGP tracks the Ducati is quite able to beat even the factory Hondas, Suzukis and Kawasakis.

And if you had ever seen my track bike you would know for sure that 'blings' not my 'thing'.

...and no, I've never raced in anything other than a straight line....cheesh

Um... no that was aimed at the OP in defense of the ducati. I mean maybe if I didn't know who you are.. or see the race numbers on your bike.....

Quote Originally Posted by nefarious View Post
    Um... no that was aimed at the OP in defense of the ducati. I mean maybe if I didn't know who you are.. or see the race numbers on your bike.....
    Oh...well...in that case....what a colossal waste of my breath!!!! doh....

Muhammad Ali.

The 1098R is a extremely targeted bike. Either you can afford one and appreciate it or you can't.

It is the absolute closest thing every built and sold to a Factory World Superbike, period. It is worth far more than the 40k price-tag.

There is a reason it's currently on the front of about 4 to 5 magazine covers this month and a reason everyone that has ridden it (journo's and racer's) consider it one of the best Superbikes ever built.

There is a reason Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki refuse to participate in any motorcycle shootout with a 1098R included.

It is flat out the most amazing motorcycle I've ever ridden (including the $50,000 NCR Millona). The bike is pure magic. You get off the 1098 base model and go 'wow, that's a great bike' then you hop on the 1098R and go 2-3 seconds faster with your jaw hanging down.

One of a kind motorcycle and I consider the two days I spent at Barber riding that bike one of the best experiences of my life.

(photo by Brian J. Nelson)

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    but those bikes arent v-twins & everyone loves the roar of those italian bikes.
    for $40k, id rather have a 1098, 848, and down payment on a house with a garage.
    Or theres always the Aprilia RSV if your set on an Italian V-twin.

Are you really trying to compare a 1098R to an everyday Jap liter bike? There is a reason it is $40K and it isn't because Ducati's are just expensive to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by 08DUCATI848 View Post
    Be careful with generalizations such as this...I have many friends who could afford nicer things than they have but choose not to spend their money on them. It has nothing to do with what they can and can't afford. Different people have different values.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    The 1098R is a extremely targeted bike. Either you can afford one and appreciate it or you can't.

It is the absolute closest thing every built and sold to a Factory World Superbike, period. It is worth far more than the 40k price-tag.

There is a reason it's currently on the front of about 4 to 5 magazine covers this month and a reason everyone that has ridden it (journo's and racer's) consider it one of the best Superbikes ever built.

There is a reason Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki refuse to participate in any motorcycle shootout with a 1098R included.

It is flat out the most amazing motorcycle I've ever ridden (including the $50,000 NCR Millona). The bike is pure magic. You get off the 1098 base model and go 'wow, that's a great bike' then you hop on the 1098R and go 2-3 seconds faster with your jaw hanging down.

One of a kind motorcycle and I consider the two days I spent at Barber riding that bike one of the best experiences of my life.

(photo by Brian J. Nelson)

I really hate it when he brags like that! :

When are you going back to Red Bull?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I really hate it when he brags like that! :

When are you going back to Red Bull?

FWIW: I used to get the same comments when I worked at Red Bull, and will most likely get similar comments at my next job.

So FU hehe.

Boston --> San Diego

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast