Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suggestions for where to buy new gear in Boston area

Suggestions for where to buy new gear in Boston area

Hi guys,

So now I have decided on which bike to buy, I need some suggestions for where to buy new stuff like Helmet, Jacket, gloves, etc. I would like to try them first before deciding to buy it.
    I know that I can buy online too. Any suggestions for the website will be appreciated. But I will need some stores first to go and try them before buying them online.
    I live in Boston/ Quincy area.

Thanks in advance

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Suggestions for where to buy new gear in Boston area

Little of a drive, but I would go with Seacoast Sport Cycle located in Derry NH. They will allow you to try gear on and fit it to you perfectly. Actually heading up there on Saturday for some Sidi boots.

Agreed.

Using local merchants to try on gear then buying online is kind of low, isn't it?

Moto Market in Acton sells everything from helmets to boots and stocks most of the First Gear lines. First Gear has Tall and Short sizes in many products so most people can fit.

Dunbar Eurosports in Brockton is a BMW/Ducati dealer with apparel people on staff. They stock Olympia and some other lines in addition to the BMW gear.

Also GBM has a shit ton of Gear and Vanson coats also....

http://www.greaterbostonmotorsports.com

Last edited by Pigman; 02-01-12 at 11:37 AM.

Pigman, Vanson is a great suggestion, some of their closeout deals are outstanding and they often have a good selection of used leathers. I bought my Mr. StayPuff suit for less than $400.

OP - also check classifieds here and eBay. I've bought some once-worn gear that people bought online and didn't fit for as little as half the new price. Advrider also has a lot of gear FS.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-01-12 at 11:37 AM.

Dunbar has crap for gear unless you want a Ducati tshirt. it all depends on your spending limit at Seacoast they have a nice range of gear. If your looking to go cheaper you could try bettencourts in bridgewater. Out of all the scummy dealers out there I have no problem finding my size and buying online. Where in Quincy are you located I'm just over the four river bridge in north Weymouth.

Last edited by Dukaki848; 02-01-12 at 02:40 PM.
    2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dukaki848 View Post
    Dunbar has crap for gear unless you want a Ducati tshirt. it all depends on your spending limit at Seacoast they have a nice range of gear. If your looking to go cheaper you could try bettencourts in bridgewater. Out of all the scummy dealers out there I have no problem finding my size and buying online. Where in Quincy are you located I'm just over the four river bridge in north Weymouth.
    I'm guessing Olympia does not cater to your demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I'm guessing Olympia does not cater to your demographic.
    Well considering he wants to try everything on. I'm guessing it should probably be in stock. What do they have at one time 6 jackets and 7 helmets? Ok I like Dunbar but not too many options there.

I'd your buying the bike from the dealer. Most dealers will give you a discount on parts and gear when you purchase a bike from them.

Last edited by Dukaki848; 02-01-12 at 06:02 PM.
    2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen

I got my dainese jacket from Seacoast and they gave me a discount as well too. The jacket came out to be cheaper than revzilla.com and sportsbiketrackgear.com.

If it gets nice enough today I'm gonna take a ride up to Seacoast.

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Dukaki848 View Post
    If it gets nice enough today I'm gonna take a ride up to Seacoast.
    I've spent thousands at seacoast on gear and they will continue to get my money. Talk to pat, I talked to her about a new rev'it suit coming out in february and she is going to get some demo suits from new york for me to try on, seriously who does that for their customers?

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I've spent thousands at seacoast on gear and they will continue to get my money. Talk to pat, I talked to her about a new rev'it suit coming out in february and she is going to get some demo suits from new york for me to try on, seriously who does that for their customers?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I was hoping they would have more gear at the expo. I want to check out there used ducati inventory. Thinking about going up to the 1198 for this summer.

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen

Alright,
    I will try Bettencourts and seacoast and let you guys know how that went.
    Thanks for all the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Also GBM has a shit ton of Gear and Vanson coats also....

http://www.greaterbostonmotorsports.com
    Pigman, Vanson is a great suggestion

I dont understand the attraction to vanson stuff. Its ugly, dosent fit good at all for at least 5 years and its expensive as hell. I do understand that vanson was providing riders with gear long before most riders wore gear. Its 2012 now and the available gear far surpasses vanson shit. Fuck that crap, I go with Alpinestars because of the fit and price. Sometimes even Joe Rocket stuff is awesome (although I hate the name)

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I dont understand the attraction to vanson stuff. Its ugly, dosent fit good at all for at least 5 years and its expensive as hell. I do understand that vanson was providing riders with gear long before most riders wore gear. Its 2012 now and the available gear far surpasses vanson shit. Fuck that crap, I go with Alpinestars because of the fit and price. Sometimes even Joe Rocket stuff is awesome (although I hate the name)
    Go racing and throw yourself down the track at 80mph in some cheap gear and see if you still think Vanson is ugly.

Oh... And even expensive gear is cheaper than skin grafts, surgeries and rehab.

You may think Vanson is ugly, but their leather is superior and holds better in a crash than the other brands you listed.

There's a reason people on here will continue to recommend Vanson. Go up to the track and look around. You'll see more racers and track day riders wearing Vanson than A* or Joe Rocket.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Using local merchants to try on gear then buying online is kind of low, isn't it?

Moto Market in Acton sells everything from helmets to boots and stocks most of the First Gear lines. First Gear has Tall and Short sizes in many products so most people can fit.

Dunbar Eurosports in Brockton is a BMW/Ducati dealer with apparel people on staff. They stock Olympia and some other lines in addition to the BMW gear.
    Well said...that would take a lot of nerve to do that!
    Add me to the list of members recommending Seacoast in Derry. They will give you both great service and a great deal.

2001 KTM Duke II

Cool story bro. I'm no Vanson fanboi but since you mentioned the fact that it's 2012, you should probably be aware that Vanson has introduced a line of leathers priced at $999 that is competitive in price, features and protection with the other $1,000 suits.

Here's a review.

Quote Originally Posted by HamptonRoadRacing View Post
    I wore a Hybrid suit for the first time at Road Atlanta weekend before last while running my Ducati 748 in Historic Moto Gran Prix. I have worn 1pc and 2pc leathers from AGV, Berik, Dainese, Trackskinz (custom), Kushitani, Fieldsheer, Alpinestars, and various OEM suits (Triumph, Ducati, etc...) and I can honestly say the Vansons were the best off-the-shelf leathers I've ever worn. In fact, they rival the custom leathers I've had made for me.

While the leather is not as thick as the custom Vanson suits, it is comparable to the competiton (no one makes suits as heavy as Vanson). The fit and finish were good with excellent breathability, and I am totally sold on the twin zippers. The two zips make it almost effortless to get in and out of the suit, and make things like zipping/buckling boots easy with the suit on (but unzipped). It also allows easy access to both back protector and chest protector.

For under $1000 you can't beat Vanson's Hybrid suit, and I know whatever leather I have in the future it will have double zippers- it's ruined me for anything else. I give this suit an A+.

Here's a Vanson Vent Max jacket. It's 1000 denier nylon with leather in the shoulders and elbows. By all means post up that totally brotastic Joe Rocket equivalent.

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

My vote is for MotoMarket. Also if you are just going to retail shop and buy online let the retailer know. They may make you a better price, then again they may tell you to fuck off. Either way one of you does not waste your time.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I've bought most of my gear from Seacoast when buying bikes there. Overall, I've bought maybe 60% of my gear from Seacoast, 30% from MotoMarket. As others have said, the personal service and good selection of quality gear make the difference. The other 10% I've bought on line, most of which I have returned or sold.

And don't believe everything you think.

Tell this to Jim Mclure who came off his Nitro Harley at 200+ mph...yeah Vanson is crap...lol..I guess they should just shut down the company because...well...you think its "ugly", "does not fit good" outdated crap.

For street gear, which I assumed this was about, I think Vanson fits like cardboard. I dont understand why some people leghump it. I just dont get it. Astars is every bit as protective as any Vanson...

Vanson does have the old school look to its street jackets, but again they are stiff as hell and would certianly interfere with my ride. At least the ones Ive tried on. And they do seem expensive for a street jacket.

Oh, and ive been down in HJC leathers and Astars leathers. My skin is where its supposed to be. Would I have been 'safer' in Vanson....nope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast