Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

suitable generator for tire warmers?

suitable generator for tire warmers?

I've never owned a generator of any capacity before.

Would prefer:
    - as quiet as possible
    - just enough power to get the warmers hot

Any recommendations?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Re: suitable generator for tire warmers?

What warmers are you running? The Woodcraft warmers operate at 1000 watts, Moto-D at 750, Chicken Hawk doesn't have it on their site. As a side note, their site is atrocious.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Woodcraft, expect predominantly on "warm" rather than "hot" setting. As a side note, holy crap new Honda generators are pricier than I expected.

-Jared

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

1000W will do it, but I have a Honda 2000 watt generator (because I sometimes run 2 sets) and it's reliable, quiet and worth every penny.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    1000W will do it, but I have a Honda 2000 watt generator (because I sometimes run 2 sets) and it's reliable, quiet and worth every penny.
    +1. This is what I have as well. Ran two sets of woodcraft warmers. One a newer set and one as Eric would say a vintage set so who knows what it used for power.

The Honda is money but worth it. I've powered powered a number of things in my house with it when the power has gone out. It's super quiet.

James

^^^ Im with stupid

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Thanks once again. Y'all are a brain trust.

-Jared

Harbor Freight has little honda knock off generators for cheap.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    As a side note, holy crap new Honda generators are pricier than I expected.
    but I have a Honda 2000 watt generator (because I sometimes run 2 sets) and it's reliable, quiet and worth every penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Split the difference: Amazon.com : Generac 6719 IX Series 2000 Portable Inverter Generator : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Generac 2000 watt inverter($569), maybe not as good as a Honda($1,000), but better than a Harbor Freight($500)

or maybe this one: Amazon.com : Briggs & Stratton 30651 P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability : Patio, Lawn & Garden
    same price, better rating

Last edited by FriskyDingo; 04-05-17 at 02:26 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    As a side note, holy crap new Honda generators are pricier than I expected.
    I think it's all about noise, or the lack thereof.

Last year at Stimilon, some asshole (non-NESR, obviously) ran a cheap Harbor Freight-style generator in the paddock. And they ran it like Lionel Richie -- all. Night. Long. You could hear it for miles; I'm surprised someone didn't set their fucking tent on fire.

ScottieDucati ran two Honda generators (because he's a fucking boss) behind his toy hauler and nobody batted a literal eyelid.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I bought the yamaha 2000 watt inverter... very quiet. Whenever this question gets asked on various forums... the answer is always Honda or Yamaha for the win

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I think it's all about noise, or the lack thereof.

Last year at Stimilon, some asshole (non-NESR, obviously) ran a cheap Harbor Freight-style generator in the paddock. And they ran it like Lionel Richie -- all. Night. Long. You could hear it for miles; I'm surprised someone didn't set their fucking tent on fire.

ScottieDucati ran two Honda generators (because he's a fucking boss) behind his toy hauler and nobody batted a literal eyelid.
    Second this, I pit with a guy who usually runs a small honda generator at the front of his truck. Can barely hear it.

A guy was running a generac generator 100 ft away and we had to yell over it for most of the day. Do your pit neighbors a solid and go for the honda.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I don't currently own a generator but when/if I do it will be either a Honda or a Yamaha due to their track record and how quiet they are

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    On the topic of quiet: Comparing the specs of the cheaper Harbor Freight unit to the Honda on the surface lots of things look like the HF unit is equivalent to, if not superior to, the Honda it is compared to in the ad. That is until you get to the noise level. I believe they are 2 db off with the HF being the louder of the two. Old rule of thumb in the car audio industry was every 3 db the perceived volume effectively doubles so though 2 db looks like a small difference the actual difference in volume can be quite substantial between the two.

My Ryobi 2200 watt is Honda quiet for what it's worth

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

Honda EU1000 or EU2000. Youll be super pleased.

xxaarraa

I 22nd everyone's vote on the Honda. Its 3x what you can get a cheapie for, but it is the definitely worth it.

Starts right up even after sitting all winter, runs quietly. I change the oil once a year and throw a new plug in every other year, and it will more than likely last decades. Small efficient motors is Honda's real sweet spot, you will be getting the best product of the best company for the task. Believe it or not, the little generator is one of the nicest things I own, and invariably brings a smile to my face when I use it. A couple of nice features:

The Honda has "eco throttle" which automatically adjusts idle lower when there isn't as much draw off the inverter.

Honda has very good aftermarket support. eBay has sellers that make nice covers, hour meters, oil change tools, extended run kits, remote starts (see below). YouTube is full of videos of cool little mods and upgrades you can do to them.

It's so quiet that when we go overlanding, I run it all night in the woods to power an electric heater and other amenities (keurig and microwave in truck), and fellow campers don't bat an eyelid (I do leave it in the woods a good 50 ft away, still, it's quiet).

Regardless of which one you buy, do get an extended run kit. Being able to start up your little generator in the morning and run it ALL DAY like a boss without having to check fuel level and walk back and forth turning it on and off is awesome. I usually start it up before the first session and turn it off before the last session of the day. Money WELL spent.

HONDA GENERATOR EXTENDED RUN FUEL SYSTEM KIT COMPLETE | eBay

Last edited by xxaarraa; 04-06-17 at 04:10 AM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I don't currently own a generator but when/if I do it will be either a Honda or a Yamaha due to their track record and how quiet they are

On the topic of quiet: Comparing the specs of the cheaper Harbor Freight unit to the Honda on the surface lots of things look like the HF unit is equivalent to, if not superior to, the Honda it is compared to in the ad. That is until you get to the noise level. I believe they are 2 db off with the HF being the louder of the two. Old rule of thumb in the car audio industry was every 3 db the perceived volume effectively doubles so though 2 db looks like a small difference the actual difference in volume can be quite substantial between the two.
    I'm not advocating for the HF generator and I don't know anyone that regrets buying a Honda, but 2 dB is a tiny difference in sound pressure level. While it requires 58% more energy to increase the sound level 2 dB (or double the power to get to 3 dB), your ears do not perceive it as a 58% increase (or double in the case of 3 dB) in sound. Most people would have a tough time telling the difference between the two, assuming the sound SIGNATURE is the same.

Regarding sound signature, far all I know, the Honda sounds like a kitten contentedly purring with it's cute little face buried into the neck of Olivia Wilde and the HF unit sounds like Rosie O' Donnel's fungusy fingernails on a chalk board, but at roughly the same volume. Or perhaps a better example, consider two equally loud bikes at full throttle going by, one's a Harley and one's a Ducati, which would you rather hear? Yeah, me too...

I was at Stimilon and that guys generator was absurd. I know Honda is getting a lot of play for its quiet running but so does Yamaha. I run a larger 3000 watt and it is super quiet. From what I have heard Yamaha uses their tuning fork science to make super quiet generators. They all get great reviews and last forever. My local Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer only stocks Yamaha due to them being a better value over the Honda units.

"The proof is in Noise Block – Yamaha’s acoustically engineered sound reduction system. This advanced technology comprises various sound absorbing materials, moulded cases, an intake silencer, fibre glass insulation, plus uniquely designed mufflers and fans. Together, this delivers virtually silent running without compromising on the performance of the generator. This technology is included as standard in the latest range of Yamaha portable generators, without busting your budget."

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    I was at Stimilon and that guys generator was absurd.
    I don't doubt that this was true, but being parked right next to you, the only loud noises I recall were Smutty yelling PBAHHH at the top of his lungs, and the red bull truck cranking death metal at 6:01AM like 40 yards away from my tent. LOL that was one of the strangest ways I've ever woken up in my life...

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    LOL that was one of the strangest ways I've ever woken up in my life...
    You're welcome.

Theres a similar thread going on over at the WERA boards if you want more outside opinions

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Lifer

Ah, yes, number of the beast.

Were I buying, I'd be shopping Yamaha or Honda, nothing else. Something like that is buy once, cry once. In fact if I weren't on a private well I'd have CL'ed away my Honda powered 220V, 6k genny for a pair of those 2000's ganged together for home/storm use.

Circling back, I know some of you have bought the cheapie inverter generators.

While I know Honda/Yamaha is the standard, how have the cheaper units held up for some of you?

Kurlon, noticed you did a video reviewing a cheap one. How has it been?

For something I'm going to use just for track/camp duties (already have a whole house sized generator), I'd rather do two or three more track days than spend extra money for the Honda/Yamaha if I can avoid it.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

My Westinghouse has been decent so far, other than the fuel level float sometimes sticking down in empty when you refill? I did put a real spark plug in which improved it's light throttle demeanor, and it had the coil replaced under recall. Kurtz has a Harbor Freight unit which cost even less, AFAIK it's worked well for him?

I know Kurtz rolls a bigger 3k or so Predator inverter. Not looking to go quite that large. Just need it for tire warmers, a fan, lights, etc, but not all at once.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast