Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Summer bike trip ideas?

rides bikes

Summer bike trip ideas?

I'm starting to think about my summer bike trip. Anyone have suggestions for a fun 5-10 day ride from the Boston area?

The last four years I've done Nova Scotia (9 out 10), Upper Peninsula (7/10), Newfoundland (10/10), and the Appalachia area (WV, VA, TN, NC - Snake, TOTD, etc; 10/10). I've also done tons of shorter trips around northern New England and Upstate NY.

Mostly looking for fun roads, cool bars, minimal crowds, neat scenery, and funny stories. Camping optional.

I'll spend some time on newenglandriders.com this week scoping routes and destinations, but figured I'd see if anyone had done anything cool recently.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Summer bike trip ideas?

Gettysburg was on my list last year but I couldn't make it happen. Looks like its a great time.
    I'm heading out to Niagara in June. Then up into Canada for a few days camping then dropping back in NY by lake George. Should be a solid 5 day trip.
    I have a back up trip planned going up to Radisson Quebec and exploring the chisasbi area and James Bay. I think that would make a great trip.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

rides bikes

Gettysburg could be an interesting call. I'm sure I could spend several days messing around in PA anyway, and it'd be cool to dip into DE and some of those cities briefly.

Niagra/Lake George will be great...I always have fun riding out there.

My riding buddy and I both really want to the Ozarks, but I think it's just way too far for a week trip. Plus, most of the riding between here and there isn't great.

Last edited by nick5446; 02-06-24 at 06:44 PM.

Lifer

I’m of 3 minds about trips nowadays.

First, day trips out of my place in Maine. This is the 250 mile radius

Summer bike trip ideas?-img_0961-jpg

Second, multi-day trips leaving from Maine and spending 1-3 nights in a motel. This could be different hotels or a “shamrock” set of rides out of one base hotel. Thinking about the Cabot Trail in NS. https://www.novascotia.com/trip-idea...saApTWEALw_wcB

Or maybe a 3 day shamrock based out of St. John, NB.

The base of operations could be anywhere in a 400 mile radius, long day 1, long return day, touring in between.

Summer bike trip ideas?-img_0962-jpg

3. A multi day tour based out of a single spot that I trailer the bike to. This would be the Deal’s/Cherahola/Southern BRP sort of thing, although Western NY/PA into Ohio has nice riding as well.

Last edited by SteveM; 02-06-24 at 07:07 PM.

Lifer

I really wanted to get out to the Dakota's but it's just not reasonable in the time I have. Ozarks were the same albeit not as bad. That's like a 9 day trip I felt.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I’m of 3 minds about trips nowadays.

First, day trips out of my place in Maine.

Second, multi-day trips leaving from Maine and spending 1-3 nights in a motel. This could be different hotels or a “shamrock” set of rides out of one base hotel. Thinking about the Cabot Trail in NS. https://www.novascotia.com/trip-idea...saApTWEALw_wcB

Or maybe a 3 day shamrock based out of St. John, NB.

3. A multi day tour based out of a single spot that I trailer the bike to. This would be the Deal’s/Cherahola/Southern BRP sort of thing, although Western NY/PS into Ohio has nice riding as well.
    I did the Cabot trail and St John last year. Nice trip but I think I would skip St John next time and take the ferry over to halifax from Maine and start there.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I did the Cabot trail and St John last year. Nice trip but I think I would skip St John next time and take the ferry over to halifax from Maine and start there.
    I’ve been to St. John. Good as a base to get other places. Definitive would use the ferry at least one way.

Lifer

I really wanted to get out to the Dakota's but it's just not reasonable in the time I have. Ozarks were the same albeit not as bad. That's like a 9 day trip I felt.
    I did 4 days to Sturgis a few years ago, not during bike week. We had a big, 4 family vacation, they flew, I rode.

1 Boston to Toledo, OH.
    2 Toledo to Madison, WI, to visit with friends.
    3 Toledo to Sioux Falls
    4 Sioux Falls to Sturgis.

I could have easily done it in 3, but that means it’s a week out and back, so a 2 week trip to spend a week riding.

Lifer

Hare’s a shamrock tour based out of Zanesville, OH, from the March/April ‘21 edition of Road Runner

Summer bike trip ideas?-img_0963-jpg

I have done several trips that started with an Ironbutt ride, last one, a BBG from Newington, NH to Joplin MO, (1500mi/24hrs) got me a new ride cert, and at the top of the Ozarks, I spent several days wondering from Joplin , briefly into KS, OK back into MO into AR and down into LA before back in a NH direction, no real planning other than that first 1500 for the cert

I want to get back to the Ozarks before I die

edit: the only negative thing on that Ozark trip, in late June,, was FUCKING HOT over 100° every day, anomaly, I do not know

Last edited by RandyO; 02-06-24 at 08:23 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

rides bikes

We did some shamrock rides out of WV this summer. It was great.

There are a lot of places I’d like to go, but multiple long days of highway riding aren’t something I’m signing up for. That was the downside of the UP trip 3 years ago, and the reason we’re not doing sturgis, ozarks, etc unless we have a few weeks.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I did 4 days to Sturgis a few years ago, not during bike week. We had a big, 4 family vacation, they flew, I rode.

1 Boston to Toledo, OH.
    2 Toledo to Madison, WI, to visit with friends.
    3 Toledo to Sioux Falls
    4 Sioux Falls to Sturgis.

I could have easily done it in 3, but that means it’s a week out and back, so a 2 week trip to spend a week riding.
    If I had a big bagger or something I might be more inclined to do something like this, but on an ADV or anything sporty I just see my tires getting squared off and being generally miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    If I had a big bagger or something I might be more inclined to do something like this, but on an ADV or anything sporty I just see my tires getting squared off and being generally miserable.
    I just do the first day on highway, multiple days, nope, it gets e beyond a repeat of any of my more local trips into new territory

only time I would spend multiple days on highway was if I was going to Alaska

RandyO
    IBA#9560

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I just do the first day on highway, multiple days, nope, it gets e beyond a repeat of any of my more local trips into new territory

only time I would spend multiple days on highway was if I was going to Alaska
    Yeah I’m fine to do a day, or two half days or something if it gets me from A-B while skipping a boring chunk of the trip.

That UP trip was when the border was still closed. We rode back roads through NY, but then it was basically highway from there to Chicago, which sucked.

What kind of ADV bike are you riding?
    Summer 2021 I did a 9 day Mid-Atlantic BDR ride with a few other guys from this area.(I’ve got a ride report on here somewhere)
    Day 1 was all pavement, ride from CT out through the Catskills to get to the northern point of the BDR, on the NY/PA border, found a camping spot there.
    Days 2-7 was riding the BDR North to South, camping the whole time.
    Days 8-9 was all pavement heading home, mix of highway and backroads, got a hotel near halfway.
    2400ish miles total

Gettysburg was on my list last year but I couldn't make it happen. Looks like its a great time.
    Gettysburg could be an interesting call. I'm sure I could spend several days messing around in PA anyway, and it'd be cool to dip into DE and some of those cities briefly.
    I'm determined to get the bike down to the general Gettysburg area. Historical stuff aside, the country roads & rural highways are very much like NH. South central PA is extremely bike friendly too. So many enticing roads in that area, great restaurants, people are generally great & so much to see. One way or another, I'll be taking the bike down at some point within the next few years.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I hate to do this to your thread. But we're gonna be looking for a couple weekend trips this summer. Probably looking within a few hours of Lakes Region/central NH. Take off Friday, spend a couple nights SOMEWHERE, head home Sunday at some point.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    What kind of ADV bike are you riding?
    Summer 2021 I did a 9 day Mid-Atlantic BDR ride with a few other guys from this area.(I’ve got a ride report on here somewhere)
    Day 1 was all pavement, ride from CT out through the Catskills to get to the northern point of the BDR, on the NY/PA border, found a camping spot there.
    Days 2-7 was riding the BDR North to South, camping the whole time.
    Days 8-9 was all pavement heading home, mix of highway and backroads, got a hotel near halfway.
    2400ish miles total
    I'll be on a Tiger 1200, my buddy is supposedly buying a Pan-Am between now and then. We did the NEBDR a few years ago and I had a blast, but he didn't love it because he doesn't have a ton of dirt experience. MABDR could be a good idea though as I've heard it's a lot more street-oriented.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I hate to do this to your thread. But we're gonna be looking for a couple weekend trips this summer. Probably looking within a few hours of Lakes Region/central NH. Take off Friday, spend a couple nights SOMEWHERE, head home Sunday at some point.
    Hahah...no worries. I'd vote for anywhere in central VT or the Catskills for long weekend trips. Doing the NEBDR and camping at Branbury State Park in VT was awesome.

Last edited by nick5446; 02-07-24 at 10:06 AM.

Hahah...no worries. I'd vote for anywhere in central VT or the Catskills for long weekend trips. Doing the NEBDR and camping at Branbury State Park in VT was awesome.
    The BDR routes look incredible. Not sure how well my Street Glide would hold up on those though!

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    The BDR routes look incredible. Not sure how well my Street Glide would hold up on those though!
    Nah I wouldn't recommend most of it, but those areas in general are great places to explore, camp and eat. I'm such a sucker for that area.

I was going to say, trailer the bike to NC, but you have already hit that one. The catskills into western PA and WVA might be the shortest commute for the best routes from boston.

Paul_E_D

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I was going to say, trailer the bike to NC, but you have already hit that one. The catskills into western PA and WVA might be the shortest commute for the best routes from boston.
    The ride down and back from there was actually pretty good. I think we ended up doing a half day of highway each way, once to get to a place we needed to be, and once to outrun a storm.

I'll be on a Tiger 1200, my buddy is supposedly buying a Pan-Am between now and then. We did the NEBDR a few years ago and I had a blast, but he didn't love it because he doesn't have a ton of dirt experience. MABDR could be a good idea though as I've heard it's a lot more street-oriented.
    The MABDR is very sedate, save for a very small handful of sections/miles. There are a few rocky sections in PA (if you take the expert sections, Poe Paddy Drive being the worst), and a few spots with super slick clay/mud in the southern sections (Tub Run Rd the worst), but 90% of it is packed dirt, gravel and pavement. I did it on my 1290 Super Adventure in 2019 with basically street tires and it was really not technically challenging. It is stunningly beautiful with tons of fantastic country roads and plenty of camping, however. MABDR would be my vote.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Downeast Maine might be decent, you never know what roads in Maine are going to suck from frost heaving though, Adirondack roads are always better condition, Finger lakes and southern tier NY has nice rolling farmlands, with an occasional farmer that crosses the road without turning the shit spreader off

I will be doing more exploring near my brother's camp in northern VT

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'm starting to think about my summer bike trip. Anyone have suggestions for a fun 5-10 day ride from the Boston area?

The last four years I've done Nova Scotia (9 out 10), Upper Peninsula (7/10), Newfoundland (10/10), and the Appalachia area (WV, VA, TN, NC - Snake, TOTD, etc; 10/10). I've also done tons of shorter trips around northern New England and Upstate NY.

Mostly looking for fun roads, cool bars, minimal crowds, neat scenery, and funny stories. Camping optional.

I'll spend some time on newenglandriders.com this week scoping routes and destinations, but figured I'd see if anyone had done anything cool recently.
    I could go back to the rock time and time again, but it's also a PITA logistically. When I went last time we went up through Quebec and across on the Trans Lab. Amazing experience on that route.

That whole VA, WV, NC, TN area never gets old for me either. There are so many different variations of roads to explore down there it hasn't gotten dull for me yet. You can stay on 421 after the "Snake" portion and take it all the way into KY. There are really nice country roads to bop around on there. PA has a lot of those as well for that matter in some areas. We looped back through OH into the western side of WV after KY to start our way back north.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast