Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Super Duke Thoughts???

Super Duke Thoughts???

So I have been trying to narrow down my next bike and the leader right now is the Super Duke. From everything that I have read it is a great bike with one large exception...the fueling / surging issue. Anybody have any experience with the Super Duke here and if so what did you think?

I would love to test ride one first, however that is not an option at the dealer. Thoughts??? Opinions???

Ps. Dealers are clearing out leftover brand new '08s for $9k so it is hard to pass up that deal!

List of other potentials:
    Kawasaki Z1000
    Triumph Street Triple
    Ducati M1100

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Super Duke Thoughts???

Armands' in Halifax ma still has a new 07. I'd bet they'd cut a smoking deal on it...And let you test ride it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I've ridden one, and it felt like a Duc 1100 air cooled mill would give it a run for it's money, motor really didn't impress me. Handled good though.

The Super Duke motor is basically the same one that's in the 950/990 Adventure and 950 Super Enduro, so you may want to read up on some of the reliability issues owners of those bikes have been having. Apparently the water pump needs replacing every 15-20k miles, and there are a few other issues as well -- but if those are taken care of, they do fine.

Personally, out of your list I'd go with the Speed Triple.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I think instead of the street triple which is the 675 motor your thinking of the speed triple which is the 1050 motor. just assuming since the rest of the bikes on the list are 1000s. Also id check out an aprilia tuono too.

Tuono

I love mine. Handles great. The motor's got plenty of poke to get yourself into a whole mess of trouble. Felt stronger than the Hypermotard that I demoed. The motor is very "agricultural" so if you're looking for something smooth look elsewhere. As you mentioned the fueling can be a bit snatchy. The newer map has helped this abit, but it's still a bit abrupt so you need to be smooth on and off the throttle.

Last edited by bfriend; 04-17-10 at 04:35 PM.
    Bob

2007 SuperDuke

Thanks for all the input. Just spent hours on the super duke forums and after reading about all the issues that these bikes have I think I am going to pass. From what I can tell when the bike is running it is hard to beat, but ONLY when it is running. Since I can only handle basic maintenace myself I think I would be biting off more than I can chew with the SD.

Oh well...on to the next pick.

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Go see Randy at Eastern Cycle in Beverly. Last I checked, they had a leftover 08 Hyper on super sale. I think you could get it for $9K out the door. Killer bike.

2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalk View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Just spent hours on the super duke forums and after reading about all the issues that these bikes have I think I am going to pass. From what I can tell when the bike is running it is hard to beat, but ONLY when it is running. Since I can only handle basic maintenace myself I think I would be biting off more than I can chew with the SD.

I've been on there since '07. There's really only a handful of people with any kind of signifigant problems. Mine's been problem free (11K miles). In any event, good luck with whatever you wind up with.

Bob

2007 SuperDuke

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalk View Post

what issues?

the only thing i didn't like about the bike was the bars were to low.

the bike is a blast to ride especially seeing as most of the roads around here are beat to shit.

jim

"Molon labe"

haven't ridden the super duke but have spent a fair amount of time on the 990 SMT and 950 SMR fell in love with both of them the motor is smooth and predictable i would not think twice about owning any of the big KTM's

old guy with bikes

Got to ride one at Laconia a few years ago.. Pretty mild motor for a machine at its price point, Handling and and Brakes were superb! Worth looking at a Streetfighter at that money also a Tuono.

Quote Originally Posted by bfriend View Post
    I've been on there since '07. There's really only a handful of people with any kind of signifigant problems. Mine's been problem free (11K miles).
    I read a lot of posts like the following that put me off a bit: "well it has been a up and down two years of ownership, she has been raced, tracked and thrashed on sundays in the mountains of valencia, she has blown a valve, leaked oil, leaked coolant, not started but she has always delivered a dam good time."

However I still have this little devil on my shoulder saying to just go ahead and give it a try.

As for the Streetfighter being around the same price point...it is $6k more...a bit out of my price point.

Buy one, let me ride it, then I'll give you my thoughts... ... Sorry I can't be more helpful. No one I know rides one. The interwebz are my only experience with them... Good luck!

Go lowball armands'.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

i have a 07 with pipes and raised bars.

mine has been flawless.

while it doesn't have the power of the r1 (few bikes do) its a blast to ride, even when the road turns to shit or even dirt.

btw: the 990 is a lot stronger than the carbureted 950

for a dirt application my preference is the 950

jim

"Molon labe"