Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

superhawk owners?

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/1150; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

i know there is a couple here on NESR. Who owns, or has owned one? what is you impression of the bike? i ask because after a couple years of owning one and riding several other bikes i have come to think that this bike is of a rare breed. you dont see it around anywhere and as far as riding it goes i have not find anything that is as good all around. i am looking for something newer but i think i am going to have to buy a bike in addition to this one as nothing provides the pure enjoyment that i get from the VTR1000F.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: superhawk owners?

had one, loved it. solid bike.. cant really complain. sold it to a guy looking for a project for the right price w/ almost 50k on the odo. great street bike... thats for sure. had a full yosh system on it too which really sounded SICK

The best advice I’ve ever been given is to not forget where you came from.

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/1150; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

i have a micron on mine and i still get complements from harley guys! i really am in love with the bike and i want to keep it for a long time but the only way to do that is to get another bike that i can lay miles on. does anyone know of anything that compares?

suzuki SV1k?

Bike: 04 SV1K
    Cage: 06 Mini cooper s, 200whp

That's what I like about owning one. Rarely if ever do you see another one out, and the looks you get from some Harley riders is priceless. I'm kind of in the same position, I want something more comfortable for 2 up, but I'd rather build an addition on the shed for 3 bikes than get rid of the SuperHawk.

Had one. 1998 Red. Loved it. Still the best sounding twin I've ever heard. (had 2 brothers SS and CF slip-ons on mine). Great STREETbike. I'd rock another one. Liked that it was rare too.

Boston --> San Diego

Masshole transplant smack doogle's Avatar

Fun bike, I had a 01 and it was fun but definitely needed suspension work. Great sound. I am much happier with my VFR though. Suspension is better, fuel mileage is better, sound is better and it is much more comfortable. I could only ride the Super Hawk about 400 miles before I started crying. The VFR I did 550 and was alright afterwards.

98 T509
    92 GSF400 (sold)
    2002 VFR (sold)
    2004 Buell XB12S (sold)
    2001 SuperHawk (totalled)
    1995 FZR (sold)
    2005 Z750S (sold)
    2003 SV650S (sold)

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Still have my 1998 red (the faster color ) with D&D exhaust. Nice deep throaty sound.

John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

I enjoy both of mine. I think they are great on the street. Good usable power, suspension needs a little tweaking along with rider potion. But bang for your buck for a twin is great.

On the track it holds it's own pretty good. It is a blast to throttle out of corners with and feel that v-twin grunt.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

i know there is a couple here on NESR. Who owns, or has owned one? what is you impression of the bike? i ask because after a couple years of owning one and riding several other bikes i have come to think that this bike is of a rare breed. you dont see it around anywhere and as far as riding it goes i have not find anything that is as good all around. i am looking for something newer but i think i am going to have to buy a bike in addition to this one as nothing provides the pure enjoyment that i get from the VTR1000F.
    Check these: http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UT...s=0&fr2=rs-top

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...ZA&sac=2&sao=3

"A skittish motorcycle with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on Earth."
    T.E. Lawrence

Had a chance to ride a superhawk once, really enjoyed it. The engine made it a great street bike, lots of power off idle. For something comparable (besides the SV1k already mentioned), I'd strongly suggest looking for an Aprilia Falco. Very similar in many aspects, and it's even a bit more rare than the Honda. Honestly, I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

so wait a minute... i can use the internet to search for anything i want! why has nobody brought this up before! i was looking for nesr opinions and to see who else on HERE has one. I am a member of the superhawk forum and the rc51 is a whole different bike

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Had a chance to ride a superhawk once, really enjoyed it. The engine made it a great street bike, lots of power off idle. For something comparable (besides the SV1k already mentioned), I'd strongly suggest looking for an Aprilia Falco. Very similar in many aspects, and it's even a bit more rare than the Honda. Honestly, I really don't think you can go wrong with either.
    i had not even thought of the falco. i am seriously going to look at that. i love the look of that bike. i was also looking at the tuono

i had not even thought of the falco. i am seriously going to look at that. i love the look of that bike. i was also looking at the tuono
    You might be in luck, one quick search and I just happened to stumble on this one:

2002 Aprilia Falco SL1000R - $6300

Looks to be in really good shape, if I didn't just buy a new bike, I'd probably run down and take a look at this one.

so wait a minute... i can use the internet to search for anything i want! why has nobody brought this up before!
    So sue me...

How was I to know, some people have no imagination.

Besides, I'm from your father's generation... some of this shite is brand new to me!

I'm a whiz with a set of points though...

Last edited by Hammerspur; 04-10-10 at 09:37 AM.
    "A skittish motorcycle with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on Earth."
    T.E. Lawrence

If you were looking for something that "compares" but is better 2-up; take a look at a 5th gen VFR.

I have an old article that compares the VTR to the VFR, and they are pretty close on almost all counts. Verdict: VFR=more comfy, better for 2-up
    VTR=more torque, slightly quicker down a tight windy road.

Cheap enough that you should be able to hold on to the SuperHawk as well.

2002 RVT1000R
    1998 VFR800Fi
    2002 CR80RB

Quote Originally Posted by JalopySiR View Post
    If you were looking for something that "compares" but is better 2-up; take a look at a 5th gen VFR.

I have an old article that compares the VTR to the VFR, and they are pretty close on almost all counts. Verdict: VFR=more comfy, better for 2-up
    VTR=more torque, slightly quicker down a tight windy road.

Cheap enough that you should be able to hold on to the SuperHawk as well.
    i have thought hard about the vfr but at the end of the day the insane torque is what really makes the bike. every time i ride a vfr it just feels heavy as well

I had one that I had 30k on the motor and then had to replace it. I guess long high rev highway stand up wheelies aren't any good for a twin's front cylinder. Swapped the motor and put about another motor in that had 12k on it.

Then I sold it to a forum member, and as far as I know it's still running. I loved that bike but since I started racing I put maybe 500 miles a year on it. Sad to see it go. It was a great all around bike. I had 2bros full system with carbon cans. Thing was loud as eff.

The only thing that blows about the bike is that it's only good till about 100mph in the twisty stuff then that all to familiar Superhawk frame flex comes in.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

The guy I ride with the most of the time has a Superhawk. He likes it but had a lot of suspension work done. I believe he used a cbr600 rear shock and had it rebuilt along with have the fronts redone as well.
    I ride a Falco. Firing off the twins makes for a different sound that's for sure. The two bikes really have a different riding stance. The Falco is a long reach, if you don't have longer arms, the position may not be what you want.
    I tend to think the Falco is better fit and finished, but it probably sold for a few grand more new. The Rotax engine is really reliable, many get well over 40k on them before any issues.
    I think they are both great bikes. Falco has a bit more character, but might just be my bias.

Superhawk is a great street bike, far more comfortable than other performance twins. They do need some upgrades to the suspension to handle well, but they are a fun great bike.
    If your looking for a nicer, newer twin the Aprilia Tuono is nice...but more aggressive than the Superhawk. The Ducati Monsters are also a good street bike...a little less comfortable than the Hawk though.
    If you ride on the track and like the twins my opinion would be to keep the Hawk for the street and look into a used SV 650 track set up.

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

I'm never selling mine. Love the sound of it and the fact that it is different. It's not as fast as the new inlines and doesn't handle as well, but I'm done with dragging knees and doing stand-ups anyway. Now I just like to cruise and relax.....mostly.

Awesome bikes!!!

2002 Honda RC51
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax/Allison

Friend of mine had one with twin Jardines I believe....oh man did that thing sound good and loud, really loud.

He wanted something more aggressive and sold it for an rsv1000, which was in the shop for something pretty major (forget what, this was last year) within the first couple of weeks.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

loved mine wish i never got rid of it but needed the money at the time speaking of which i still have the passenger seat cowl if anyone would want it just PM me

I had one loved it. Great all around bike. I have been through a lot of bikes till I picked up my newest and I find my self just as happy as I was on the Superhawk. Of course my Tuono factory cost me a whole lot more but its an awesome bike.

Steven