Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition

For me, it's always been there waiting in the shadows. A light dirt bike, properly prepped for asphalt - flickable, with major lean angle possibilities and enough speed to make it badass. I wanted to try it for the longest time. I could never justify it with all my other irons in the fire, and it is incredibly pricey as far as initial investment.

Back in December my buddy and I pulled the trigger to head back out to the west coast for an intro and training. Last weekend I was able to receive two very different methods of instruction at SoCal Supermoto, the first being the founder Brian (intended to be dirt and asphalt, but the rains in CA made dirt impassable) and on the second day, Stuman for asphalt only who leads up the race instruction series at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.

Both offered a lot of takeaways and I thought the two days back to back complemented each other perfectly. It also allowed the opportunity to try both leg out and sport bike style riding on SM.

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-dsc07605-x3-jpg

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-img_1163-jpg

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-img_1094-jpg

Amazing time learning to get the bike leaned under you while far forward, on top of the tank with leg out technique. The tight technical kart track at Adams was a ton of fun, and we even had 30% less track due to rains washing out a section. DRZ400s were perfect for a classroom setting, mild mannered but still able to carry some speed.

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-img_1164-jpg

Student races: everyone gets a shot at a student race, with the knowledge that the reward is a high-five (if they feel like it), so race accordingly. I placed fourth the first day race (my first race ever). In the second day in a pretty substantial rain starting after our Le Mans start, we had about 7 bikes go down during the race. I kept it up and maintained second most of the race due to a quick start and learned a valuable lesson about backing off and celebrating down the front straight, as I was overtaken to third. Ha!

My previous season at NYST had me get some serious supermoto envy by observing the creation of their race series. I would also get taken in corners easily on my big bikes. I knew one way or another I was going smaller CC: either a 300 series bike, or supermoto. And let's face it, supermoto in general is just more badass. I began collecting KTM parts to build an SX-F but after finding a '19 FS450 the other week, I took this home today:

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-img_1133-jpg

Before this thread gets too long, all of that was to say that I now count 4 supermoto race series in the Northeast (OVRP, NYST, SMEC, and clearly an LRRS class I know little about). So build/buy/mount up and let's ride! I intend to race this season as much as possible.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Lifer

Re: Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition

You didn't list NEMM. Be aware of that series. Small. Humble track up in rural Maine. But a great racing atmosphere. Aaron, the cat that runs the show, is a fantastic coach. Cannot recommend his school enough. Although he is all leg out, all the time. If he catches you popping a knee out, he'll have words with you.

Very different scene than LRRS.

Grats on the FS450. That's a substantially different beast than the DRZ400.

Supermotos are incredible fun. Excellent choice. Enjoy it!

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-img_3480-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 02-23-19 at 10:37 PM.

You forgot old cherry valley, now Lafayette in upstate New York, as well.
    https://lafayettemp.com/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Also, Penguin's NESBC motard race Penguin Road Racing School - NESBC

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

It's funny, JC, Sergio and I were just talking about doing that socal school. Sounds like you had a good time.

You might want to invest in some sumo boots. Ask Duncan what happens to road boots when you go boot out a little too much. Lol

I have a pair of Sidi Crossfires with the replaceable supermoto soles. Definitely worth the money.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Thanks for weighing in with even more options for racing guys! A big draw was opening up more tracks to run at around the northeast. I think running many different tracks is key to well rounded experience. Unfortunately living in the dirty jerz right now puts Maine out of reach, unless I go for a week in the summer as I have been the past few years and bring the bike. I might be able to make Canaan and Lafayette work though.

First up is going to be OVRP for practice and maybe their April race.

sdog30, the SIDI SRS and a pair of supermoto soles are on my radar. Been looking around for a solid closeout on a pair... hefty price tag but as they say, you can't put a price on safety. I ran my Dainese Course D1 Out boots for the school and was able to stub a big toe bad enough during a small pileup that it had some internal bleeding. Kinda surprised me with their construction.

For $279 a day ($250 sometimes discounted) the value of the school can't really be beat for what you get. Highly recommend it as a winter moto escape when the riding is shut down here in the east. Everyone else seemed to have the same idea as we had several people from NYC there.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Hey, you might want to look at NJMP. Pretty sure they run a series on the go kart track. It's a pretty nice track. Might be a little big for a 450. I know they offer open practice on it pretty cheap.

There's a supermoto race at brockton fairgrounds near Boston on the weekend of May 4th and 5th you might be interested in.

LRRS/CCS #66

I think the Brockton event got put on hold last I heard. I may be wrong on that if someone's got newer info?

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Hey, you might want to look at NJMP. Pretty sure they run a series on the go kart track. It's a pretty nice track. Might be a little big for a 450. I know they offer open practice on it pretty cheap.

There's a supermoto race at brockton fairgrounds near Boston on the weekend of May 4th and 5th you might be interested in.
    The kart tracks at NJMP are supposed to be a good time, it's harder to find information on when you can go for open practice though. It's extremely kart focused. I'm not aware of anyone running supermoto races there, NJMiniGP runs there but their classes max out at 250cc 2 smokers.

^ on that note I'm also in the market for a mini that could dual purpose as a racer and serve up pit bike duty. Smaller bikes for the win.

Last edited by Zolden; 02-24-19 at 05:01 PM.
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Decided life is pretty short, had a crazy encounter when I was last out in CA for SoCal Supermoto that could have left me for dead so I figure go for it as early as possible this season. I just signed up for EvolveGT's Race Certification on 4/7 down at NCBike. This is the earliest I could acquire the cert in the season and I know it suffices for CCS, WERA, NYST and I believe AHRMA. Hopefully for OVRP as there is nothing on the site that specifies it. I intend to run my track prepped RSVR that is for sale (have not had a ton of interest, expected for an Aprilia and during Feb) for the cert.

Waiting for some things to pan out but might try to do 4/6 there too so I at least have some sighting laps in prior to the cert day.

I intend to only race supermoto on the FS450 for the rest of the season. Looking for some help drilling bits in NYC area at the local moto haunts now.

Last edited by Zolden; 03-01-19 at 12:14 AM.
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

haha socal sumo is a fun class and brian is a cool dude

adams track days were stupid cheap...I remember having the track all to myself a couple days on a monday

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    haha socal sumo is a fun class and brian is a cool dude

adams track days were stupid cheap...I remember having the track all to myself a couple days on a monday
    Think I should bring my WR250R sumo setup there? How much is a track day?

Absolutely you should!

I think it was $40-$45/day without a membership...but the membership is $100 or so and you get in that day and your bday and qualify for $15 Monday’s so it’s worth it

And you should ride Apex and Grange

Bring your dirt wheels to Adams and we can ride sumo, MX, and flat track in one day!

Absolutely you should!

I think it was $40-$45/day without a membership...but the membership is $100 or so and you get in that day and your bday and qualify for $15 Monday’s so it’s worth it

And you should ride Apex and Grange

Bring your dirt wheels to Adams and we can ride sumo, MX, and flat track in one day!
    Count me in!

I’m thinking about March 24th for Socal Supermoto. But, I’m going to swing by tomorrow to check it out.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

If I still lived out west and had this bike I would be at Apex or Adams at least one day every weekend. Cheapest trackdays I've ever heard of.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

I ended up checking it out yesterday. It looked like an awesome event so I signed up for the 24th. The actual ‘track day’ only had 4 riders.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I attended Socal Supermoto a couple years back and got to meet Jamie Robinson of MotoGeo YouTube Channel and a former TT and MotoGP 250 class racer. It was a great place to spend the day. A really fun track as well. The bikes are heavy and tough to ride compared to a real supermoto but its is still a blast to get out and mix it up with everyone on the same DRZ Tank. I needed to work on my elbow up style!

Supermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-img_2261-jpgSupermoto Resurgence - SoCal Supermoto and Northeast Competition-img_2257-jpg

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    I ended up checking it out yesterday. It looked like an awesome event so I signed up for the 24th. The actual ‘track day’ only had 4 riders.
    Wait do you live here? Or visiting?

I am actually off that weekend...I haven’t been to the track in a long while may come...but I am also attending Beyond Wonderland, so umm

Wait do you live here? Or visiting?

I am actually off that weekend...I haven’t been to the track in a long while may come...but I am also attending Beyond Wonderland, so umm
    Neither, both, it’s complicated. But, I’m in SoCal for now.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

NESR SoCal supermoto trackday??

Lifer

I've always thought a series of stock or 'super-sport' tweaked DRZ's would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Then I realize I haven't tried racing minis yet. One of these days a CRF150F will throw itself at me.

The benefit of the CRF150F is dirt tracking it at Wachusett Valley Riders Club WVRCLUB I only did it one day with a rental but I had a blast.

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    The benefit of the CRF150F is dirt tracking it at Wachusett Valley Riders Club WVRCLUB I only did it one day with a rental but I had a blast.
    That, and ICE. The 150 is the bike in our stable hat gets chosen the most.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

For me it's be gas n' go racing @ boxshop. Worried an XR100 is too small for me. Don't want to screw with big-bike tire changing, usage, expenses, etc.
    CRF150R is too real. My read is the CRF150F would be just enough fun. Run air-cooled and GP80 or something, have sum fun and be happy however it goes.

But I'm just theorizing and such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast