Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Suspension question...

Lifer

Angry Suspension question...

I feel like I've got something weird going on with my suspension.

I believe I'm wearing out the sides of the front tire too fast or something. The bike feels like it's putting too much weight on the front in hard cornering, and that I'm at a risk of either washing the front or causing the bike to go wide if I ride really agressively. I'm about 1/2-2/3 through the tread on the stock tires. The rear seems to be staying nice and round but it really does look like the front is wearing slightly faster on the sides than in the middle.

I am using the stock tire pressures and I do think I've tightened the back more than the front.

If I end up with the rear too soft relative to the front the bike feels like it steers slowly... so I think I've ended up preferring the back nice and tight. I've tried not to mess with it too much cause I know I'm not doing it very scientifically, but it was just way too soft when I bought it.

This is all complicated by the fact that I want it to handle well when I stick the hardbags on and load up for a trip. (Ends up being about 40-50lbs weight stuck on the back)

Any suggestions? I'm going to take off and go to VT tomorrow on it. If there is anything that I could try?

Thanks,
    Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Suspension question...

Originally posted by benSV
    I feel like I've got something weird going on with my suspension.

I believe I'm wearing out the sides of the front tire too fast or something.
    To me, this would be normal and something to be happy about.

Random thoughts in random order:

If the tire shows signs of feathering or cupping, you may wish to increase the pressure in small increments until the problem goes away.

Your VFR is much heavier than your old SV, yet the tires are probably the same size. All things considered, the VFR should wear tires faster.

If you do a lot of trail braking, you will really wear the front tire quickly.

Something I try to do while cornering: Do all your slowing straight up and down start leaning the bike with the throttle closed. Open the throttle to arrest the lean and set your corner line. Go through the corner with at least steady speed and perhaps a little acceleration to keep the front tire unloaded.

Make sure your rider sag is set correctly front and rear and that the static sag is >0 (ensure the suspension is not topped out with the bike riderless).

Try a different tire. IIRC, the VFR comes with either D204s or BT020s. Put something with a less blocky tread up front. I run a BT020 rear and BT010 front. But then I wear out the sides first too...

Lifer

Suspension question...

Hmm.. ok, well I guess I'll see how it goes.

It could just be that the tires just suck. They seem alright but after having the BT-010s and the Metzeler M-1s on my SV, and then going to a tire that is less grippy + heavier bike maybe I'm just noticing a lot less grip. They are slightly bigger than the SV. I believe it's a 180 in the back and a 120 in the front, but the front tire is a lower profile than the SV was.

I just read the cycleworld long term wrapup of my bike though, they only got 2400 miles out of the M-1s! That would suck. They did say the new Pilot Roads seem to have great grip and lasted a long time.

Ben