Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Suspension Set up for Street Triple R

Suspension Set up for Street Triple R

Hello Folks,
    I recently purchased a Street Triple R and am in the process of tuning it up for my self. I had it tuned professionally last week but had some questions around the correct sag for Street riding

Currently my settings are as follows

Front

Rebound : Soft
    Compression : Soft
    Total travel : 120 mm
    Sag : 22 mm

Rear

Rebound : Almost Soft (a few clicks away from Soft)
    Compression : Between Standard & Sport
    Total travel : 126 mm
    Sag : 37 mm

I remember reading that the sag should be between 28% to 33% of the total travel so that puts the front between the range of
    33.6 mm to 39.6 mm which would mean that I am wayyyyyyyy offf.

The rear seems to be in range.

The bike was previously a bit stiff in the front and now feels great going over bumps.
    I think my rear set up is good but the front still feels a bit iffy at times and feels like its diving under semi-hard braking.

Should I adjust the front sag or adjust the Rebound/Compression and go Standard.
    I will tool around with the settings but wanted to get some pointers from our initiated lot.

I knew I should have stuck around longer when they talked about Suspensions at the end of the Lee Parks Clinic.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 08-19-13 at 09:01 AM.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Re: Suspension Set up for Street Triple R

How much do you weigh??

Does that bike come with TTX rear shock and Ohlins front forks? I have a 2012 675r and have not touched the suspension at all. Bike feels fine to me (I am an experienced rider and know when suspension is not set correctly) and I weigh about 210 fully geared up

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    How much do you weigh??

Does that bike come with TTX rear shock and Ohlins front forks? I have a 2012 675r and have not touched the suspension at all. Bike feels fine to me (I am an experienced rider and know when suspension is not set correctly) and I weigh about 210 fully geared up
    I weigh 168 nekkid and about 188-190 with gear. The preload is set at 3.5-4mm.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post

Does that bike come with TTX rear shock and Ohlins front forks?
    Not Ohlins on the '10 STR, adjustable front and rear from the D675, Showa, I'm pretty sure, I think, ... .

I'd keep going on the adjustments in steps til it feels right for you. Of course road surfaces where we ride can go from Paved for the Gods to buckled, and back. Usually I (185# bare naked) ran cold 32 PSI front and 34 rear. For NH Rte 137, 31, etc., I would sometimes run as low as 30 front 32 rear. Tire pressure is part of the suspension adjustment IMHO.

Just some of my experience ...

Plus, I'd recommend joining the 675 forum, another good group: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 08-20-13 at 05:52 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Get your sag closer together, sounds like you could take out some preload (if avail.) in the front and turn your clickers back in a bit. You should never be ALL the way out/in on your adjusters IMO. Use the spring to set things first (sag) and YMMV but I like about an inch front and rear for track use, and closer to 1.25" front / rear for street as ball-park figures.

Then start with your rebound up front. All clickers out to start. Dial in your rebound until after a good bounce and free-return (let the bike come back w/o putting any input to the bars)... it should come to the top quickly and stop without bouncing at all. Then set your rear to make the bike rebound at the same rate front and rear when pushing directly on top of the tank.

After that, compression is a feel thing. Bumpy roads, dial it out. Smoother stuff, dial it in a bit. You'll get the hang of it.

Most important part in ALL of this process is to write everything down, especially when you get a reasonable base-setting.

Make changes, write it down, go ride, write down what you liked or didn't and go from there.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Get your sag closer together, sounds like you could take out some preload (if avail.) in the front and turn your clickers back in a bit. You should never be ALL the way out/in on your adjusters IMO. Use the spring to set things first (sag) and YMMV but I like about an inch front and rear for track use, and closer to 1.25" front / rear for street as ball-park figures.

Then start with your rebound up front. All clickers out to start. Dial in your rebound until after a good bounce and free-return (let the bike come back w/o putting any input to the bars)... it should come to the top quickly and stop without bouncing at all. Then set your rear to make the bike rebound at the same rate front and rear when pushing directly on top of the tank.

After that, compression is a feel thing. Bumpy roads, dial it out. Smoother stuff, dial it in a bit. You'll get the hang of it.

Most important part in ALL of this process is to write everything down, especially when you get a reasonable base-setting.

Make changes, write it down, go ride, write down what you liked or didn't and go from there.
    Awesome write up Scottie :-),
    Yes, I played around a bunch with the settings today and dialed in more rebound and compression damping in both the front and rear. Like you said it is a feel thing. I took the bike out on the highway and on some windy and bumpy roads and felt that the bike was handling those jarring bumps better and I had more confidence flopping the bike into turns.
    I will get a couple of pair of hands to help me with the suspension set up as per Lee Parks Suspension guide.
    Thanks for your help folks, I am getting there.
    BTW I am grinning ear to ear every time I sit on the Triple.