Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Suzuki Gladius vs. Yamaha FZ6

Re: Suzuki Gladius vs. Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    You too man. I did indeed practice the hell out of that V.. and setting up early. Possibly too early. I probably looked goofy setting up that early. But it sure felt good.

Video shows me a bit crossed up still.

You should think about a day. I think you'd like it.
    Yeah dude that looked like fun out there. I am set on doing a couple later this year once my 2nd son is here and healthy.
    Oh and that ride back home that night was atrocious. I forgot to bring the tires back to the correct pressure before I left. The entire 100 miles the FZ6 was buzzing the sh*t out of my hands and feet plus the MPG's blew.

axelccmabe : Definitely try out your current set up on a long ride. Most folks find the stock FZ6 bars oddly angled, I swapped mine with a FZ1 stock which has a straighter but lower more aggressive profile or the FZ6R bars with the same rise but straighter. The numbness from 60+mins ride is for real. Grip puppies, bar snake, FZ1 handlebars,Scholls insoles, tighter spark plug caps all help with lowering the vibration and discomfort to the wrists.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 05-22-13 at 02:50 PM.

Lifer

I also forgot to air back up.

On topic.. I am very confused about the FZ6 vs FZ6R thing. So the FZ6R is a toothless FZ6?! But with a fairing?!

On topic.. I am very confused about the FZ6 vs FZ6R thing. So the FZ6R is a toothless FZ6?! But with a fairing?!
    thats my read on it...

The frames on the two are also different, the FZ6 is around 85-90 hp where as the FZ6R is "retuned" at around 65hp. The "R" also has a smaller fuel capacity.
    The R is also less twitchy and smoother, basically a better starter level bike.

Lifer

That's lame.. and confusing. According to wiki, it seems what we know as the FZ6R here in North America is similar to what is called the XJ6 Diversion elsewhere. And that XJ6 is related to the old Seca II.

So avoid the FZ6R.. got it!

They stopped producing the FZ6 in 2008/9. It had the "half" fairing and 95hp. The FZ6R is fully faired with about 60hp. Not sure why it gets the almighty "R" on a more bland bike.

I rode an FZ6 for 20k miles. It's bulletproof reliable, comfortable, gets great mileage and is two up capable. However it is very "blah" and lacks character. If I could do it again I'd probably do the SV and farkle the hell out of it.

Last edited by 01xj; 05-22-13 at 03:58 PM.

Not sure why it gets the almighty "R" on a more bland bike.
    Things that say R sell better.

SV all day everyday... Just the sound alone...

That 08 for $4500 was still overpriced. I got my 07 with 15k for $3600 last spring. Smutty was selling his 08? for like $3300 last year.

That being said, for a first bike for a noob rider, find a 500cc bike for $2000 or less and learn to ride on that

Lifer

Smutty's was a steal, IMO. Yeah, I thought about it.. Robs too, IIRC.

I forgot Rob had one and tracked it. IIRC he looked like he was having fun out there.
    Yup, successfully, I might add. He did find it was a bit too upright for feeling comfortable on once he got to yellow group, and decided he wanted something sportier for trackdays and less buzzy (yes a common "complaint") for commuting.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Lifer

Mmmm, too upright. That's my big complaint with the 'strom on the track.

I think I want something with real clipons for a track toy. Something my elbow rests nicely on the tank with.

Compared to the Tiger I don't find the FZ6 too upright. Granted I haven't stuffed into a corner either, just normal fast street riding.

I foresee that being a personal preference thing, much like there are guys who race motards that would probably find it to be very sporty. It wasn't the best fit for him on the track, and it became not what he was looking for on the street. That does not mean in any way that it is not a good all-purpose toy (and he enjoyed it for many miles, many trackdays, and many years).

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Lifer

It sounds like the FZ6 is a compromise bike. Like so many of us, we are not able to have a garage full of purpose built machines, so we buy something that scratches the most itches for the $$. Hell, even the race-replica sportbikes are compromises.

This conversation reminded me that the FZ6 is a handlebar bike, not a clip-on bike. For the street, I pretty much refuse to only ride a clip-on bike; way too intense ergos for me. But for a track toy, that's my biggest grumble about my DL and what I would want most; track oriented ergos.

SV-S looses as a street bike in my view because of this, but wins as a track toy. The non -S SV and the FZ nudge things in the other direction; more of a street bias.

Obviously this is subjective. But I think the FZ is not what I am looking for.

Lifer

Yes, the FZ6 is a compromise bike. but a darn good one at that as the European sales charts show. The Fazer and Bandits have been very popular - different executions. The FZ6's suspension and brakes, stock for stock, is better than the SV650. Although it was not adjustable, the only time I felt like tinkering with it was when my wife was in the back and I would crank the rear preload to max. My bike was reasonably smooth - I didn't feel it was buzzy. My only gripe was the difficult 1-2 gear change. No matter how hard I tried, at low rpm it would never come out smooth. People on the forum said it is not an issue if you change gears at >5k rpm. I do think it is a sporty upright bike, more so than day a DL650 or a Bandit. With my givi trunk it was a perfect commuter - sometimes I think it was better for the city than my VFR.

In any case, enjoy the bike! It is hard to find very cheap bikes in the beginning of the season, so don't think about the price.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12