Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suzuki Gladius vs. Yamaha FZ6

Suzuki Gladius vs. Yamaha FZ6

So I now have money and I'm going shopping. I have my eye on two bikes right now and I want to get your guys' opinion on them. The first is a 2009 Suzuki Gladius with approx. 9,000 miles that is being sold for $5,000. The second bike is a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 with approx 13,000 miles for $4,000. Any opinions for a noob rider?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Suzuki Gladius vs. Yamaha FZ6

I've had a sv650 as my first bike, and my girlfriend has an 05 fz6.

between the two bikes, the sv/gladius is down on power compared to the fz.

the fz has a SUPER long travel throttle, so if you don't crank on it, then is very well behaved and docile.

I personaly like twins and hate the power delivery of the inline 4 in the fz. because between idle and 9 grand nothing happens then at 10K it wakes up and screams to the redline. where is smacks the rev limiter.

The fz will have body work, so if you do a lot of highway riding commuting, that will be a plus over the gladius

the gladius is a twin and the motor has a ton more character than the fz's mill.

personally I hate the gauges on the fz, the tach is a bitch to see.

Both great bikes. The FZ gives you a little more room to grow in the long run. Look at them both. Go with the one that fits you better.

05 FZ for $4k is too much money, you can get into an 07+ for that much money. I bought my 05 with 10k miles for 3k 2 years ago. Check out www.fz6-forum.com

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3813415342.html

Last edited by 7UPyours; 05-18-13 at 03:41 PM.

I'd take the twin everyday and twice on Sunday over an i4.

But I wouldn't buy either of them. Despite him being an inter-douche, awesome's sv would earn a home in my garage first. Spend the rest on nicnacs.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I like the way the Gladius looks better. Naked is just sexier.

I agree both prices are a little high for bikes that are around 6-7k brand new.

If your looking for mild non ss bikes the ninja 650 and monster 6xx are in this category as well and worth a look.

Fz6 hands down (although I'm biased BC I own one). Definitely has more power to play with. Also, Fz6's can be found for far less than $4k...

Lifer

I had an FZ6, 2008, for 2.5 years and 11500 miles. I also have rented a Versys and an SV650. Overall, I like the FZ6 much more. I do like the looks, but they are different. The FZ6 has superior brakes, suspension, and equipment. The FZ6 comes with a 5.1 gallon fuel tank, comprehensive instrument cluster, center stand and beautifully places exhaust. The 2007+ is an improved version with better fuelling and other small, but useful mods (e.g. the rear passenger pegs are 15 mm lower). If you ever ride two up, there is no comparison - the brakes and suspension on the FZ6 handle that much much better. I have done that both on the FZ6 and the SV650. Also, my wife preferred the passenger seat on my FZ6 to a lot of other bikes including my VFR. As for power, yes, the SV/Gladius produces more under 7000 rpm. But, I found my FZ6 was plenty powerful starting at 4000 rpm. By 7000 rpm it was crazy fast (by 10,000 rpm....I don't know. I was too afraid!). Overall, I think the FZ6 is better. I agree with the other posts - way too much asking price. You can get an '07/'08 FZ6 for around 3.5-4k if not less. I sold my 2008 for 3.5k 2 years ago with a Givi trunk! (but, needing tires)

Last edited by dankatz; 05-18-13 at 10:59 PM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Allright thanks everyone. I guess I'll just keep shopping to see if I can find a lower price. But it's good to know about both bikes. I think I'l keep my eyes more open for an fz6.

Quote Originally Posted by 7UPyours View Post
    05 FZ for $4k is too much money, you can get into an 07+ for that much money. I bought my 05 with 10k miles for 3k 2 years ago. Check out www.fz6-forum.com

Is that yours? Or is it just one you saw on craigslist?

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3813415342.html

Quote Originally Posted by axelccmabe View Post
    Allright thanks everyone. I guess I'll just keep shopping to see if I can find a lower price. But it's good to know about both bikes. I think I'l keep my eyes more open for an fz6.
    Sorry I put that question in the quote. Do you know the seller or is that just an example from craigslist?

I just bought an '08 with 1,700 miles for 4k. Sadly I won't ride it home for a week due to the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by axelccmabe View Post
    Sorry I put that question in the quote. Do you know the seller or is that just an example from craigslist?
    example from CL, even thou I did buy my in RI. I am always searching CL for fz6 since I want an aftermarket exhaust for less than $600

Lifer

I am a bit confused, as all of the magazine reviews I have read always raved about the SV/DL motor and even more now about the (new in '12?) Gladius motor, whereas the reviews I can recall to have read about the FZ6 seemed to indicate a buzzy, somewhat "flat" motor. Perhaps they were comparing the FZ6 to other i-4 sport bikes only? Or perhaps the FZ-6 motor had some improvements over the past few years?
    Either way, I have the impression that they both make *Great* street bikes.

Lifer

The SV motor is a very nice motor that produces a very usable torque curve and is generally smooth. The FZ6 is an inline which behaves very differently. I don't have many inline 4's to compare it to, but it is fairly smooth. The torque doesn't start building up until 4000 rpm, but is no where close to the SV. For most street riding the SV motor is more usable. The FZ6 just has a different torque characteristic. It is a very different bike say than the DL650 even though they seem like they would serve a similar purpose. I actually learned to like the FZ6 and would mostly keep it around 4000 rpm in town.

If you PM me your email I could send you an article from motorcycle consumer news comparing the FZ6 to the SV650S to the Ninja 650 in 2007 - the FZ6 won this comparison easily.

Last edited by dankatz; 05-19-13 at 10:09 PM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Well thanks for your opinions guys. I was able to score a 2008 Yamaha FZ6 with a Two Brothers exhaust and 13,000 miles for $4,500. I'm satisfied

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

What does the late model FZ6 rev to? Is it tuned like a super sport 6 that revs to the moon? Or is it more neutral like my Bandit 1200 was?
    Would it be easy to set one up as a street bike that sometimes sees action as a track toy?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What does the late model FZ6 rev to? Is it tuned like a super sport 6 that revs to the moon? Or is it more neutral like my Bandit 1200 was?
    Would it be easy to set one up as a street bike that sometimes sees action as a track toy?

It's normal/docile until 7k. For street riding, I shift before then and then still boot around just fine. It positively screams after 7k though (it really comes alive then) and peaks at 14 or 15k. Waaaaay faster than my old 650.

Rob used it as a dual purpose street/track back and upgraded the front end and brakes. He'd have better input for you.

Isn't the fz6 motor a detuned and or older r6 motor? I know they used the 99 02 motor from an r6 for awhile.

I tool'd around with the front/rear sprocket (-/+) to get more of a low end grunt. Which was great for street/city riding. For highway riding go up the front sprocket.
    4500$ for a 13k 08 FZ6 seems kind of steep but may be the upgrades warrant it.

Lifer

The Bandit 1200 was hypothetically an old, detuned GSXR motor. But then I suspect that is an entirely different definition of "old" and "detuned"; being water cooled and EFI and all that jazz.

The only Yamaha in the ARC I took on Monday was our own Karate.Snoopy on an FZ6. Looks like a neat bike.

I forgot Rob had one and tracked it. IIRC he looked like he was having fun out there.

Lifer

After a little research on my part - The FZ-6 appears to be one of those bikes that just never got the credit it deserved. While it was a little bit difficult to separate the Euro reviews and models from the US reviews, the only flaws I could see was that the earlier models may have had weak headlights, and the transmission may be a bit notchy. There is also an "R" model, which looks to be just a fully faired version.
    Nice street bike, IMO. Congratulations on your purchase!

The FZ6 also has a twitchy throttle response and tends to be on the buzzy'r end of the spectrum. But nothing a few mods can't fix. The FZ6R I believe has an even more restricted engine.

Oh and it was really cool to meet you NHBubba aka Colin.
    I am sure you got to practice the holy 10 steps of cornering on the following trackday. I still struggle with the "V", pushing the bike the other way just seems alien so far.
    Looking to do some track days later this year.

Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 05-22-13 at 01:28 PM.

I think the FZ6 is the fully caffeinated version and the newer FZ6r is a more watered down entry level bike that is more newbie friendly and flexible.

Lifer

You too man. I did indeed practice the hell out of that V.. and setting up early. Possibly too early. I probably looked goofy setting up that early. But it sure felt good.

Video shows me a bit crossed up still.

You should think about a day. I think you'd like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast