Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Show me your SV650?

Show me your SV650?

Hey guys,
    As some of you know... i am currently without a bike. Iv only ever owned one bike (09 ex500), and have very limited experience as far as other bikes go.
    So far the bike im most interested in upgrading to would be a second gen SV650 (probably an 03). Again im limited in experience so id just like the opportunity to look one over and sit on one in person. Not looking to test drive anything, im just curious about the seating position and overall fit. Comfort Is huge.
    So if anyone nearby happens to have one and plans to be riding nearby any time soon... Id love a chance to meet up with you at some point in your ride and just sit on your bike.

I know some people are completely against letting people touch their bikes under most circumstances and i am completely understanding of this ideal...so im not trying to coax anyone like that out of hiding. I assure you i keep my own toys immaculate and will not be kicking plastics throwing a leg over carelessly, so if you wouldnt mind me just giving it a feel for a moment and maybe giving me your .02 on why you own it or if youv met me before on a ride and are comfortable with me hopping on it for a moment....id be very appreciative. Thanks!

-Mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Re: Show me your SV650?

Just so you know, the '03 is sort of a bastard child. Some of the parts are unique to model year '03, so if you break it, you might be stuck for a bit longer than if you had an '04+.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Just so you know, the '03 is sort of a bastard child. Some of the parts are unique to model year '03, so if you break it, you might be stuck for a bit longer than if you had an '04+.
    Good to know. I've been looking for a cheapo 2nd gen SVS for a while and have never heard of this. Thanks!

OP: Might want to search the pre-owned inventories of any dealers in your area. That's always been my best bet for trying a bike on for size.

Last edited by curiouser; 07-13-12 at 02:24 PM.

Very good to know. Thanks.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Quote Originally Posted by curiouser View Post
    Good to know. I've been looking for a cheapo 2nd gen SVS for a while and have never heard of this. Thanks!

OP: Might want to search the pre-owned inventories of any dealers in your area. That's always been my best bet for trying a bike on for size.
    I have looked into this and havent had much luck. I also wouldnt mind hearing some feedback from the owners of the SV650 and not a sales pitch from the dealer. That said, this is a good idea and ill continue to look.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

I have a 1st gen and am pretty local to you

Very good all-around bike. I get 50-62 mpg seemingly dependent on how cold it is. Very popular at the track. Light, narrow, nimble. Very good aftermarket. Suspension could use an upgrade as your skills improve. Decent under-seat storage. V-twin sound sets you apart from other japanese SS's.

Torque of a SS600 at much lower rpm, at the sacrifice of top end horsepower. Goes 0-100 quick enough--perfect for street riding.

I have an '05 you can sit on. I changed the stock handlebars and refoamed the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    I have a 1st gen and am pretty local to you
    If your out at all this weekend (i know its hot for riding) then let me know, im able to travel, so if your ride doesnt exactly take you to ipswich i can meet up.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Very good all-around bike. I get 50-62 mpg seemingly dependent on how cold it is. Very popular at the track. Light, narrow, nimble. Very good aftermarket. Suspension could use an upgrade as your skills improve. Decent under-seat storage. V-twin sound sets you apart from other japanese SS's.

Torque of a SS600 at much lower rpm, at the sacrifice of top end horsepower. Goes 0-100 quick enough--perfect for street riding.

I have an '05 you can sit on. I changed the stock handlebars and refoamed the seat.
    I was just looking at 05's. That may be the direction i go if i can afford it if/ when i run into one im happy with. Acton seems a distance away for you to be riding up here though!

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

I try to make a point of riding to Rockport at least once per summer. This weekend is NG, but "soon."

Things don't seem so far away when you get 60 mpg and you're not bound by any time frame.

I'm nowhere near you, but you're welcome to throw a leg over my '05 if we are ever in the same vicinity.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Lifer

I've been half looking for an SV for a friend. They are in short supply at used dealers. Not a lot of opportunity to test sit in at a dealer since they discontinued 'em.

I have a 1st Gen and i converted the front end as well as the rear shock to a gsxr 1000 for sort money.. Bike $1700 craiglist, front end and rear shock $950 on ebay Now it handels like a dream.. You can look on svrider form for tips and help if you go that way..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Right before the season started there seemed to be a TON of SVs for sale, but they all seemed to get snatched up quickly.

I was at Seacoast a couple weeks ago and they had a GenII for sale. Looked pretty nice.

If you want to cage it down to Bike Night you can sit on my 1st gen SV. I'm really glad I was talked into this bike - its been working out really well for me! I like that I'm not flat on the gas tank - and I'm not sitting straight up - it's an in-between angle that I'm comfortable with. I can putter around town, but it's still got some decent juice on the slab, and it handles really well IMHO.

--Jesse
    2001 SV650s

Quote Originally Posted by SCRLT01 View Post
    If you want to cage it down to Bike Night you can sit on my 1st gen SV. I'm really glad I was talked into this bike - its been working out really well for me! I like that I'm not flat on the gas tank - and I'm not sitting straight up - it's an in-between angle that I'm comfortable with. I can putter around town, but it's still got some decent juice on the slab, and it handles really well IMHO.
    This sounds like a good idea. Been too long since iv had chinese food.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    I was just looking at 05's. That may be the direction i go if i can afford it if/ when i run into one im happy with. Acton seems a distance away for you to be riding up here though!
    I have the '08 with ABS. As I pass 30,000 miles on it, I think of looking at other bikes, but every time I go on a long ride, I am reminded of just how much I love this bike.

The ride is smooth due to the 90 degree L twin engine, the 2 plug per cylinder firing (I think this started in '07) gives me better than 60 mpg pretty consistently.

I did add the Corbin seat, you cannot go for hours on the stock unit, the Buell peg mod after the seat changed my riding position, and some front end mods for better fork behavior. (spring matched to weight and heavier oil)