Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tail of the Dragon

Lifer

Tail of the Dragon

I just got back from a week of riding the tail of the dragon and surrounding areas. Definitely an awesome trip - The roads in Vermont do not compare for condition or design... My buddy and I stayed at the Iron Horse Lodge and rented a pair of SV-650's from Sportbikes for hire for 3 days, and KLR-650's for an off road day from GSM.

Sportbikes for hire is a great company to do business with. I recommend them to anyone going down that doesn't have a bike (like me) or doesn't want to haul it in. He delivered the bikes to our hotel. We ran into him on the first day out and he tossed us the keys to his DRZ 400 super moto... He also told us it can be arranged that he will come to the airport and either drop the bikes off, or pick you up.

The Iron Horse is a neat place - it's an older more relaxed crowd and we ran into some great folks. They have a campfire every night. Bring your own beer - it's in a dry county. It's also tough top find a place to eat (above burgers), and some of the places have odd hours (close at 7 PM). Bryson City is your best bet...

The speed limit is either 30 or 35 on the tail, and it is patrolled... But, even with that it's a challenge to break the speed limit (much) in the corners. My buddy and I basically tried to keep going at about 40 - any idiot can go fast in a straight line, it takes a special idiot to go fast in a corner... Blood Mountain in GA is well worth the time to get to. In 3 days we put a touch over 1,000 miles in.

GSM is another place I'd recommend. They have a cabin right on site. Eat locally, don't bother driving to Gatlinburg. There's nothing but chains for restaurants. The KLR's are a handful in true dirt. My buddy dropped his twice - although it could be considered once since they were both in the same puddle... The clay gets slick! Especially on mild tires... Even with this we managed about 175 miles for that day.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Another Ducati snob #1 masshole's Avatar

Re: Tail of the Dragon

Sounds like a very successful trip. I can't wait to make the voyage down there and experience the legendary road first hand. Thanks for the info too.

There's a whole lot to ride down there thats increadible! I have been down there 8 times with a bunch of friendsmemebers from here.
    Best thing to do food wise is rent a house with 5+ people, go shopping at the local Supa, and cook everynight. We usually just had cereal for breakfast, and stopped somewhere in route. We have a couple of favorite spots for lunch but barely ever hit the same place twice!

Absolutely worth the trip down there!!

Looking forward to our trip in Sepember this year!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

nice writeup. i'm heading down for the first time this summer. looking forward to it.

I've been down 7 times myself (6 were part of same group with Half Squid), other than the first time, all the trips we stayed in one of Ron Johnson's houses, perfect location, very central location but not in the middle of in town congestion. The first few years were mostly spend on pavement, then in later years finding the dual sport areas
    Tail of the Dragon-deliv01-jpg

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I think I found where red-necks come from to be sure... I swear to God I heard banjo music more than once... I also came across a recovery of a Mini-Cooper from one of the ravines. The driver overcooked a turn and ended up barrel rolling it about 75' down in. They had already air-lifted him out and were in the process of getting the car out. A tough reminder that we were playing for keeps...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

She whined: "I don't understand... I rode the Tail of the Dragon three times without a problem!"

This as we dragged her bike back up onto Rte 17.

This ain't the Tail, baby!

Benvenuto al App Gap!

1985 Cagiva 650 Alazzurra, 1992 VFR 750

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    I think I found where red-necks come from to be sure... I swear to God I heard banjo music more than once... I also came across a recovery of a Mini-Cooper from one of the ravines. The driver overcooked a turn and ended up barrel rolling it about 75' down in. They had already air-lifted him out and were in the process of getting the car out. A tough reminder that we were playing for keeps...
    I've seen my share of crashes, including some in the groups I was riding in. First year I went, couldn't even keep up with the local school buses.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I live down here now and there are tons of great roads with pristine asphalt. Just an hour and a half away from the gap. Don't think I will ever move back to New England ... I'll visit but this is home now.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

its in my blood

dis just frikkin crazy !!!!!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Tail+o...56322&t=m&z=13

i dont tink i cud ever memba all dem turns !!

Another Ducati snob #1 masshole's Avatar

English mutha fucka! Do you speak it!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!