Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So talk me out of one of these

So talk me out of one of these

So I'm casually interested in buying a sport bike (started riding again about 6 years ago on a cruiser, now my primary ride is a goldwing).

I need someone to talk me out of buying something like http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3013728668.html (it's a Hyosung Comet Gt650s for when the link goes away). I don't actually have the cash right now, so details aren't important but these things can be had for cheap money. Why don't I get one?

Background. I love my 'wing. It's great. Wife and I can easily do an evening ride of 100 miles or a weekend of 500. I can haul my crap around in it. I keep my cleats and glove in it for softball night... but... something more flickable is appealing. I don't think it will ever replace my wing, so I want something cheap. I don't need anything "nice". I don't care about paint quality / graphics at all, but maintenance is a consideration.

Anyway... talk me out of this...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: So talk me out of one of these

Get one......
    My other bike is a FJR. Love it on the street. But at the track I love my track SV. I have a street SV also that get's ridden when I am in the "mood"

He how dies with the most bikes wins.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    but maintenance is a consideration.

Anyway... talk me out of this...
    Ding ding ding......that's it, longevity is on par with a $500 Chinese atv....

For the same money you could buy one of the most rock solid, most loved, best all around performing motorcycles ever made....
    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Motorcyc..._fspt=0&_rdc=1

no brainer

2008 Fisher-Price Kawi 12VDC
    Exide hi-performance battery
    Frost-King duct tape reinforced steering damper
    Topps "Garbage Pail Kids" custom graphics

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

My friend is selling his 01 sv650 for that much....is get that instead.

Lifer

I know the feeling. Don't expect anything but a 'doo eeeeeit' out of me. Probably any of the rest of these knuckleheads either.

SV650S-es look really swell next to a DL650. Tried to find one of garandman's photos to link here, but struck out.

Regarding the brand/model. I personally would rather spend a few bucks more for an SV or an even an older I4 sportbike. I think the dealer support, quality, reputation, resale-ability, and aftermarket support are worth some extra cash up front. But I will be the first to admit I know nothing about those Korean bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    My friend is selling his 01 sv650 for that much....is get that instead.
    Link? Info? Seriously, I have a friend looking for an SV. (Doesn't everyone?)

Last edited by nhbubba; 06-04-12 at 06:34 AM.

Someone here is selling an fzr600 for less than that.

Hyosung = LOL

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

I personally have yet to hear anything bad about the Hyosungs....

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Lifer

If you buy a "big 4" brand used bike for relatively cheap money, clean it up and take care of it, you will probably be able to resell it for almost what you paid for it. At a certain point, they are pretty much fully depreciated and there's always demand.

Personally, I would look at the CBR F4i as a reference point. Not full out repli-racer, but with modern FI and reliability.

You're taking a bigger demand/depreciation risk on the Hyosung.

Review.

Doesn't sound like a bargain, and I bet it will be difficult to unload.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Personally, I would look at the CBR F4i as a reference point. Not full out repli-racer, but with modern FI and reliability.
    From what I have seen, CBR 6's seem to command this odd premium in the 2nd hand market. ... Actually that may be true of any MY2000+ Honda.

For the kind of money they are asking for that Hyosung, you could probably find an older SV650.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

Hes moving in a couple of weeks for a residency.... It should be on craigslist, but this is the info, should be $2650, or $2500 can't remember exactly.

2001 Suzuki SV650 SV-650

Date: 2012-06-01, 4:16PM

This is a beautiful bike from a great year for the sv650.

Excellent condition. 21,XXX miles. The bike has always wintered indoors and has only been rained on a few times. The original owner was an elderly gentlemen that babied the bike. I have had it for the past year and have treated it well. I am moving and need to sell it or pay $600 to ship it.

Extras: yoshimura exhaust, corbin extra comfortable seat, connection for heated jacket, heated handles. I will give you all original parts and receipts for servicing.

Problems: I dropped it once and the rear brake pedal broke off--I use it as is without problems as is, but it would be $100 for the new part.

This bike is being ridden almost daily and should be perfect for the season. New high-end battery. Tires have about 50%, chain and sprocket were inspected 12 months ago and found to be in great condition--only 1000 miles since then.

Lifer

I don't think the premium is odd, I think it expresses long term value. I know a lot of riders look at the more cutting edge bikes from other companies and think of Honda's as stodgy, but the reliability of this platform cannot be questioned.

For someone who is "casually interested" in a sport bike, I think that looking at ownership cost as purchase price + maintainance - selling price is a smart way to think about it regardless of whether the casual interest wanes or grows.

A bike that is cheap to buy may not be as cheap to own and may be difficult to sell.

"Cheap" and "June" don't go together. Wait until September or October.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Jason, I'm not going to talk you out of a sportbike, although I do agree with the above posters - I'd go with something a little more common with a proven track record - easier for parts and service. I say when your finances allow it, go for it. Pretty soon, you'll be the one doing the passing.

Lifer

I haven't looked in a while. I did this morning. I'm actually very surprised. There are a number of reasonable (IMO) SV's out there right now.

Just What the DR. Ordered

Here you go!!!!!!

Note To Self: Rada doesn't follow directions well .

@Svenny - On the longevity front, I've been pretty spoiled. Both of the machines in my recent biking history have been shaft drives, and "reasonably" maintenance free. Fuel, Oil, Tires, Brakes, Foot pegs, Air Filters, Antifreeze, Brake Fluid, Fork Oil, and Light bulbs (in that order) are about all that's been required (OK, there was the entire left saddlebag assembly and muffler as well, but that was due to a Volvo, rather than maintenance). I understand that these sporty sort of bikes also come equipped with something called a "chane" and some sort of sprokety type devices, that require additional maintenance, but is the trade off between a ~15 year old VFR vs. a ~5 year old Hyosung worth it for ~$ ??

@rice_rocket, nhbubba, & SRTie4k - I'm aware of the general love for the SV650. Having never actually ridden or sat on a sport bike before, I decided on Friday to go put my ass on an SV, just to get a feel for it. Went to 3 different dealerships. Located exactly 0 SV650's. I'm completely in tire kicker mode right now, and it's very hard to kick tires of something I can't freakin' find Being in tire kicker mode, I'm not interested in hassling any individuals with them here or on CL at this point.

@j4eric - Yea, I know that Hyosung = LOL, but why?? There was a point when Honda and Suzuki = LOL as well (and not just for motorcycles).

@SteveM - I'm kinda a Honda guy and lust after the CBR's. The good thing is that they hold their value well. The downside is that they hold their value well A quick scan of CL has the 2000 CBR F4i's going for ~$4k. I'm not saying that's a bad price for the bike at all, but it is more than I want to spend. Point certainly taken on overall ownership costs.

@Garandman & Degsy - Yea, I'm aware of the cheap and June thing. I'm also aware that my interest will be waning in October . Not looking to pull any triggers anytime soon though. Hell, I don't even know what gun I'm using or where to aim (but that's kinda the story of my world).

@evadd - Parts are a good consideration. I've just assumed that getting parts for a Hyosung will be just like getting parts for my Honda's. Harley likes to tout their "broad dealer network", and quite frankly I don't care. I order about 80% of my crap online. There is a local independent guy that specializes in 'wings that I get some stuff from. My experiences with the local Honda shops is that they generally have to order stuff I need anyway, so why bother with them.

Thanks all.

Keep 'em coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Just What the DR. Ordered

Here you go!!!!!!
    Dammit! That's exactly what I don't need right now .

Would it help if I offered to let you take my SV out for a session on the track?

Lifer

The biggest thing ive seen that worries me the hyo is that they rust and deteriorate very quickly. While an older jap bike will look decent in a few years those hyo's look really bad in afew years no matter how well they are taken care of. Just like all those chinese scooter and quads they just arent durable. The bikes themselves are decent but have an overall low quality feel to them. Its all the rusting bolts and fading thats troublesome.

Lifer

Jason. I continue to analyse your thought process and still find no faults.

I can involve my bride-to-be if you prefer a different answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    @j4eric - Yea, I know that Hyosung = LOL, but why?? There was a point when Honda and Suzuki = LOL as well (and not just for motorcycles).
    Hyosung? do i have to explain? can you even pronounce the brand correctly? #1 parts, and aftermarket parts #2 untested reliablity/quality#3 resale value #4 resale value #5 resale value.....for 2500.00 you can get more bang for your buck.

Honda and Suzuki maybe was an LOL a long time ago in the USA, but their footprint and pedigree was already established in Asia long before they hit the US market.

we will talk you out of the Hyosung...but you know we will not talk you out of getting other bikes for the same or less money.....FZR600 in the FS section, you get that and you could probably sell it next year close to what you pay for -1 or 2 bills.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Lifer

And-as I understand my history-the big four from Japan drastically undercut the competition with some new and exiting offerings for comparatively cheap. Not offered bad (carb'ed) facsimiles for nearly full-asking price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast