Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone have extra garage space in Newport, RI?

Anyone have extra garage space in Newport, RI?

I just moved to Newport and thought i'd be all set with bike parking...but i thought wrong.

Turns out my landlord is a chode and won't let me keep both my car and bike on the property (there is PLENTY of room). He "simply cannot accommodate" a motorcycle and a car sharing one of the large parking spaces. I think he doesn't want a bike at the house, but either way he's proving to be annoying (for this and other reasons) and I haven't even moved in yet. It's a year lease. Awesome.

I've called a bunch of the local storage places and a few won't store a bike because it has fuel in it, don't have availability, or want $110+ per month for the smallest storage unit that can fit a bike.

Anyway, i'm looking for garage space in town i can keep a bike in. I'll throw a few bucks/month to any forum member who has garage/shed/whatever space for an extra motorcycle.

If anyone has other ideas let me know. I guess i could leave my car on the street somewhere and keep the bike at the house, but that's definitely not ideal either.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anyone have extra garage space in Newport, RI?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    I just moved to Newport and thought i'd be all set with bike parking...but i thought wrong.

Turns out my landlord is a chode and won't let me keep both my car and bike on the property (there is PLENTY of room). He "simply cannot accommodate" a motorcycle and a car sharing one of the large parking spaces. I think he doesn't want a bike at the house, but either way he's proving to be annoying (for this and other reasons) and I haven't even moved in yet. It's a year lease. Awesome.

Matt
    I can't help with the bike storage (50 minutes north of Newport), but what are the details of your lease as far as parking goes? I know some people that were in a similar situation and because a few words were missing on the lease as far as parking, the landlord had no choice but to let them park the bikes there for the time left in the lease

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I can't help with the bike storage (50 minutes north of Newport), but what are the details of your lease as far as parking goes? I know some people that were in a similar situation and because a few words were missing on the lease as far as parking, the landlord had no choice but to let them park the bikes there for the time left in the lease
    I was told by the realtor (still haven't met the landlord in person, he lives out of town) that i would have 2 parking spaces, which are large. My girlfriend and I have 2 compact cars and my GSXR, so it would be easy to park both cars in their given spaces with the bike between them, or put the bike in front of my car in the same space.

I was very specific about my off-street parking needs for 2 cars and a motorcycle, and was verbally assured by the realtor that this would be fine.

The realty company had me sign a generic lease which i no longer have because the landlord was unhappy with it and drafted his own. In his lease, which i assume would supersede the realtor's, he says we are allowed to park two vehicles on the property, not given two spaces. I didn't see the verbiage in his lease being an issue because i was very specific about my needs for the parking situation with the realtor, and this was already discussed.

When he asked for the make/model/plate numbers of our cars and i gave him 3 vehicles, he was quick to wave the lease in my face via email and tell me i couldn't do that. I politely explained i would only be using two spaces for the 3 vehicles, and he is telling me that is unacceptable.

The landlord is a doctor and the house is in a very upscale neighborhood right by cliff walk in Newport. I'm pretty sure the landlord is being a douchebag because he does not want what he views as some hooligan riding a motorcycle to and from his house and upsetting the neighbors (which would not be the case).

I'm going to try to have a civil conversation about this but judging by his emails it's not going to go well.

I don't want to play hardball with the guy, but i can technically have any two vehicles parked on the property. If he's unwilling to be reasonable about the situation i could, legally, buy THIS as a daily driver and just keep my bike in it. The commute to work is only a mile or two and until October i'll be on the bike 90% of the time anyway.

If you never signed that version of the lease, what is the issue?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If you never signed that version of the lease, what is the issue?
    I did sign it.

After we signed the generic one with the realty company, he said he had his own and wanted to use his lease, which he faxed to the realtor. We signed his updated lease which says two vehicles, not two spaces. I wasn't worried about the specific wording because the realtor and i had discussed parking 2 cars and a bike in 2 spaces, and it not being an issue.

Last edited by Hoon; 06-14-12 at 01:38 PM.

Damn schoolbus hooligan :-)

Best of luck with your battle.

if you had to i'd park the car on the street and the bike in the spot...safer that way...or you could find a beater pickup and buy a ramp if the school bus was too much...when the season ends put it in storage and you have your spot back...yea it's not ideal but it's better than nothing

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Does the realtor know about this? Sounds to me like you can get out of the lease...or at least use that excuse to the landlord and see if he gives in and allows the bike

Quote Originally Posted by Hoon View Post
    I was very specific about my off-street parking needs for 2 cars and a motorcycle, and was verbally assured by the realtor that this would be fine.

The realty company had me sign a generic lease which i no longer have because the landlord was unhappy with it and drafted his own. In his lease, which i assume would supersede the realtor's, he says we are allowed to park two vehicles on the property, not given two spaces. I didn't see the verbiage in his lease being an issue because i was very specific about my needs for the parking situation with the realtor, and this was already discussed.

Yamaha

Im betting the owner is never around, id just park it there in front of your car if there is lots of room

Ps. Im in narragansett. Hit me up if u want to ride or need anything.

Just get a shitty ass rickety trailer, attach it to your car and park your bike on the trailer. If he wants to be a dick then so be it, doesn't mean you can't be one too.

You would be abiding by his lease, but pissing him off. At that point I think you would be able to negotiate with him to get rid of the trailer and park your bike in front of your car.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
    Just get a shitty ass rickety trailer, attach it to your car and park your bike on the trailer. If he wants to be a dick then so be it, doesn't mean you can't be one too.

You would be abiding by his lease, but pissing him off. At that point I think you would be able to negotiate with him to get rid of the trailer and park your bike in front of your car.
    is the trailer in addition to the 2 cars? if not, ignore this, but if so, i don't see how that gets around the landlord's lease wording. if he's only allowed 2 vehicles, what does it matter if one is on a trailer? the landlord hasn't come out and said "no bikes", just "no 3 vehicles". edit: i just read your post again, and i think you meant one car with a trailer/bike and the other car off the property, so ignore what i wrote.

in any case, yeah, the landlord is being a douche, but i'd be more pissed at your agent. she's the one who got you into this mess by stating facts she didn't know anything about. THAT'S who i'd go after to fix the mess. IMO, the issue is between her and the landlord. remove yourself from it and tell her to fix the problem or break the lease on her dime.

can you not find another place to live?

Last edited by Evadd; 06-15-12 at 10:18 AM.