Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So talk me out of one of these

Re: So talk me out of one of these

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    "Cheap" and "June" don't go together. Wait until September or October.
    I've never bought into that. I've gotten my best deals on used streetbikes in the heat of summer. Actually, the two best deals I EVER got on streetbikes were in June of consecutive years. Conversely, I've gotten insane deals on 4-wheelers in the winter...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

The SV would be a good first bike (a good friend of mine bought her first bike not long ago, an 05 SV)
    I don't know that much about the Hyosung, seems like there are a lot of them in Australia, reviews are "so-so"

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    @Svenny - ** but is the trade off between a ~15 year old VFR vs. a ~5 year old Hyosung worth it for ~$ ??
    As far as the VFR, even at 15 years old, they remain rock solid and well loved (except for the 3rd gen regulators, although I've had my '91 since 1996 and have not had an issue with it)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...04---current-/
    "If the budget 600cc class is your thing then the Hyosung GT650 Comet is worth considering, but as it costs about £4000, it's not as cheap as you might expect"

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...M-V-1995-2002/
    "For many, bike journalists included, the best road bike ever built."

.......not much else to say about that

2008 Fisher-Price Kawi 12VDC
    Exide hi-performance battery
    Frost-King duct tape reinforced steering damper
    Topps "Garbage Pail Kids" custom graphics

I did not read any replies to the orig post. Skipped right to the talking out of part.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING HYOSUNG. THEY FUCKIN SUCK DONKEY BALLS.

I do recomend a nice SV650 or a Ninja650 though....

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    These :-)

I got almost 17k out of my oem chain and sprockets. I'm lazy too, remember my bike? Spray the chain down after a long ride and call it a day. What maintenance?

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Would it help if I offered to let you take my SV out for a session on the track?
    Adam: I specifically said talk me out of something, not tempt me into something. Do you understand the words that are coming out a my mouth?

Note to self: Rada really really sucks at following directions.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    The biggest thing ive seen that worries me the hyo is that they rust and deteriorate very quickly. While an older jap bike will look decent in a few years those hyo's look really bad in afew years no matter how well they are taken care of. Just like all those chinese scooter and quads they just arent durable. The bikes themselves are decent but have an overall low quality feel to them. Its all the rusting bolts and fading thats troublesome.
    OK, good to know. I bought a number of "add on" chrome bits for my cruiser and most of it has developed surface rust. I hate that. This, is very good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Jason. I continue to analyse your thought process and still find no faults.

I can involve my bride-to-be if you prefer a different answer.

Yea, if I wanted a "No, you don't need another bike" reply, I could ask the lady sitting on the other side of the couch. Fortunately she's not a member of this board, and doesn't really know that the reason I've agreed to selling the cruiser is to replace it with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    Hyosung? do i have to explain? can you even pronounce the brand correctly? #1 parts, and aftermarket parts #2 untested reliablity/quality#3 resale value #4 resale value #5 resale value.....for 2500.00 you can get more bang for your buck.

Honda and Suzuki maybe was an LOL a long time ago in the USA, but their footprint and pedigree was already established in Asia long before they hit the US market.

we will talk you out of the Hyosung...but you know we will not talk you out of getting other bikes for the same or less money.....FZR600 in the FS section, you get that and you could probably sell it next year close to what you pay for -1 or 2 bills.
    Hell, if I only bought things I could pronounce I'd be a skinny guy. There's all kindsa shit I buy that I can't pronounce (an abnormal percentage of it seems to be food) . Parts and aftermarket parts are strong arguments. The big 4 certainly make sense from this perspective. If i want to look at this from a really long term perspective, I should only but from John Deere or Caterpillar. Both are expensive, but you can get parts for them forever.

Quality... yea, based on what boosten said above, shit rusting would certainly piss me off. I also tend to not care too much about weather conditions when I'm riding. A bike that I'd need to keep dry would be a problem.

Reliability ... is there data on the fact that Hyosung is less reliable than other manufacturers anywhere? These sorts of generalities are the same sorts of arguments made about the Japanese manufacturers years ago. Not saying you're wrong,just looking for the data.

Resale value. I hear what you're saying, but... If i end up with a sport bike it will end up on the track. It won't be a dedicated track bike, but the odds of me somehow fucking this thing up are reasonably high. I've gotten so accustomed to being able to just tip shit over whenever, I strongly suspect that I'll do more damage to resale value than standard depreciation

If i were actually ready to get something today I'd be all over that FZR in for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman
    I've gotten my best deals on used streetbikes in the heat of summer.
    Yea, but you seem to know what the hell you're doing, rather than wandering around like a drunken leprechaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Svenny
    As far as the VFR, even at 15 years old, they remain rock solid and well loved (except for the 3rd gen regulators, although I've had my '91 since 1996 and have not had an issue with it)
    Thanks. I'll do some more looking into the VFR's. Being a sport bike idiot new directions are fun to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3
    THEY FUCKIN SUCK DONKEY BALLS.
    OK, well there's a solid argument. Lotsa backup data. Well thought out and solid evidence to support the claim
    How do you really feel about them?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3
    So Ninjas have always been interesting to me. I have no idea why though, maybe it's just a cool name. What factors would lead me to a SV over a Ninja or VFR?

By the way, I'm a bit disappointed. No one has told me to get a 'busa yet.

Last edited by jasnmar; 06-04-12 at 08:58 PM.

Lifer

I like this guy.

Show up with a nice, clean VFR that you picked up for short money and I may likely change my mind and decide I despise you. Please consider this as you shop!

Seriously though, I think what we are trying to say with regards to the Korean SV knock off is that it isn't cheap enough compared to the SV to make it worth while. Regardless of how good or bad they are, they just aren't worth it when the SV is just a couple hundred more. There are plenty of $2400-2800 SV's on CL right now.

Adam: I specifically said talk me out of something, not tempt me into something. Do you understand the words that are coming out a my mouth?

Note to self: Rada really really sucks at following directions.
    I have a hard time listening some times.

Yea, but you seem to know what the hell you're doing, rather than wandering around like a drunken leprechaun.

Remember Hyundai back in the 80's? I dont know your age but I am guessing you are old enough,they where buy one get one free and really had a bad rep for quality and parts...they where just starting in the US market then...they have come a long way since...well Hyosung is still at that stage, you don't need data to smell shit :-)

Lemme take a wild guess, your line of work involves numbers...maybe an accountant of some sort :-)... Just curious..lol

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Remember Hyundai back in the 80's? I dont know your age but I am guessing you are old enough,they where buy one get one free and really had a bad rep for quality and parts...they where just starting in the US market then...they have come a long way since...well Hyosung is still at that stage, you don't need data to smell shit :-)

Lemme take a wild guess, your line of work involves numbers...maybe an accountant of some sort :-)... Just curious..lol

To be fair to criticism of Hyundai (and Kia while we're at it), I've driven many different 2006+ models to know that their long term quality has only truly recently started to improve enough. I drove some Hyundai (Elantra?) out in California and it was a nice little car. I hate driving any old Hyundai or Kia, though. I don't have any first hand experience to know about the Hyosung, but I suspect that the happiness is relatively short lived compared to an SV (had one, may own another one someday).

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    To be fair to criticism of Hyundai (and Kia while we're at it), I've driven many different 2006+ models to know that their long term quality has only truly recently started to improve enough. I drove some Hyundai (Elantra?) out in California and it was a nice little car. I hate driving any old Hyundai or Kia, though. I don't have any first hand experience to know about the Hyosung, but I suspect that the happiness is relatively short lived compared to an SV (had one, may own another one someday).
    Agreed, Kia and Hyundai have come a long way, I like the current elantra, and yes, they are much more abundant in Cali, Korean cars sell well in Cali, at least the newer ones, I still am on the fence of buying Korean though, the true test for me is longevity...I see 12 year old civics and corollas, resale value too on these are phenomenal.

99 R6 track bike

Show up with a nice, clean VFR that you picked up for short money and I may likely change my mind and decide I despise you. Please consider this as you shop!
    Not exactly short money, but looks damn nice. Less than 1000 miles / year. http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/3032519333.html

Seriously though, I think what we are trying to say with regards to the Korean SV knock off is that it isn't cheap enough compared to the SV to make it worth while. Regardless of how good or bad they are, they just aren't worth it when the SV is just a couple hundred more. There are plenty of $2400-2800 SV's on CL right now.
    Yep, I'm starting to catch on. There are some pretty reasonable deals available for SV's.

Really wish I had fundage for http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...boston-ma.html.

Yep, I remember them. They were "disposable" cars. Drive one for 6 months then just throw it away and get a new one. That is one possible reason for my interest in them. Sounds like the problem is that they are constructed in a disposable way, but their price point doesn't support the disposable concept (at least compared to other options available) .

It used to involve numbers more than it does today. By education I'm an Electrical Engineer. Practiced as an Engineer for about 10 years out of college. Stumblefucked my way into a job in User Experience design for a software company. Now I manage a team of 6 designers (and actually spend most of my time in negotiations with Product Management, Development, and QA about priorities and often listening to their opinions on what a good design would be for any given situation). Constantly get to hear opinions with absolutely no data to back them up (No, "well I just think" isn't data, and because you wrote the code does doesn't mean others will understand the interface, which is even more confusing than the code itself... hell, lets just give'm a compiler, it'll be simpler than figuring that out).

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Right, so this was the other possibility that I was looking for. Many people still consider Kia and Hyundai to be "crap".They've actually gotten significantly better. Sounds like Hyosung, however, isn't there yet.

So, consider me talked out of the Hyosung for the time being.

Thanks all!!

2008 Fisher-Price Kawi 12VDC
    Exide hi-performance battery
    Frost-King duct tape reinforced steering damper
    Topps "Garbage Pail Kids" custom graphics

FWIW, I bought my SV brandy new in 2005 and can't find a valid reason to get rid of it. I am casually looking for a new bike, but probably not going to sell her when I do (track rat comes to mind). I am capable of doing all the maintenance on it myself (though I usually make my husband do it).

In the past 7 years I have:
    Changed tires
    Changed oil
    Lubed the chain (but not replaced it)
    Knocked it over in a couple parking lots
    Installed a new exhaust, because I like the sound
    Changed the headlight
    Redid my forks with new springs and oil
    Rode it like a grandma
    Took it to the track
    Putted around the twisties for 450miles on one single day
    Plopped 24,000 miles on it (20K of which was between 05 and 08)

I plan to:
    install a GSXR shock
    install emulators
    probably raid work for a few bits and pieces that will make it more accommodating on the track (rearsets, engine covers, etc)

I will not ever talk anyone out of an SV, especially if you are looking for a good bike to use on the track or int he twisties that you can also ride comfortably on for extended stretches.

Also,t he reason you can't find any at a dealer is that A) no one gets rid of them in trade when they go so easy private sale, and B) they don't make them anymore, so you won't find a new one.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

If you'd like, we can meet up some weekend and I'll let you take her for a spin around the block so you can get a feel.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Lifer

Not exactly short money, but looks damn nice. Less than 1000 miles / year. http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcy/3032519333.html

Fortunately that is way over budget... and a clean looking Gen6. Way too nice for me and easy to say no to.

You and me both. Hell, half the forum probably has at least a passing interest in that bike.

Constantly get to hear opinions with absolutely no data to back them up (No, "well I just think" isn't data, and because you wrote the code does doesn't mean others will understand the interface, which is even more confusing than the code itself...
    Bah! Management-esque lies! Trust me, I wrote that code, I know what I'm doing, honest!! That's why my work estimates are almost always 30% shorter than reality.

Jasnmar, I said they suck donkey balls because they do. Seems youd like a little more info as to why. Well i was trying to save time but....here goes.

I worked at a motorcycle dealership. We did not sell Hyosung. We would get people trying to trade them in at times. It got to the point we would no longer take them on trade. The parts were pretty much impossible to get, there was no factory rep to help. The flimsy, chinsey materials used looked great the first season but then deteriorated very quickly. The chrome would flake and peel off....all the unpainted metal pieces would rust...the plastic fairings were very brittle and had a tendancy to crack if you looked at them wrong. If the bike sat for more than a week it would have a dead battery and require a carb clean. We had one GT650 used that got traded in for over 2 years, nobody would buy it.

Good enough? They fuckin suck donkey balls. Get it?

Full Tilt - Full Time Trackday Guru's Avatar

I think THAt about covers it.

Do yourself a favor - Get yourself an SV and be done with it. And if you can't find one, call John at Cycles 128 ((978) 927-3400) and tell him Mike sentcha.

Good luck.

Last edited by Trackday Guru; 06-05-12 at 06:36 AM.

Mike
    Am #124

Take off your engineer's hat and don't get too caught up in over-analyzing this.
    I have enjoyed watching you wheelie and doing stoppies with the 'wing, but I don't think it really matters what sportbike you get... you'll have a blast on most anything!
    Are you going on the Seacoast ride Saturday?

Thanks. I haven't made it through all of them yet. By the time I got through the Fireblades one, I was pretty much convinced. I will read the rest, just to make sure that I don't get any bright ideas about this in the future either

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    FWIW, I bought my SV brandy new in 2005 and can't find a valid reason to get rid of it. I am casually looking for a new bike, but probably not going to sell her when I do (track rat comes to mind). I am capable of doing all the maintenance on it myself (though I usually make my husband do it).

In the past 7 years I have:
    Changed tires
    Changed oil
    Lubed the chain (but not replaced it)
    Knocked it over in a couple parking lots
    Installed a new exhaust, because I like the sound
    Changed the headlight
    Redid my forks with new springs and oil
    Rode it like a grandma
    Took it to the track
    Putted around the twisties for 450miles on one single day
    Plopped 24,000 miles on it (20K of which was between 05 and 08)

I plan to:
    install a GSXR shock
    install emulators
    probably raid work for a few bits and pieces that will make it more accommodating on the track (rearsets, engine covers, etc)

I will not ever talk anyone out of an SV, especially if you are looking for a good bike to use on the track or int he twisties that you can also ride comfortably on for extended stretches.

Also,t he reason you can't find any at a dealer is that A) no one gets rid of them in trade when they go so easy private sale, and B) they don't make them anymore, so you won't find a new one.
    Good to know on the low maintenance thing. Thanks.

Also, the fact that they don't make them anymore would have been useful before I wandered around dealerships wondering why I could only find GSX-R's. I'm such an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    If you'd like, we can meet up some weekend and I'll let you take her for a spin around the block so you can get a feel.
    Thank you! I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it at some point.

That's why my work estimates are almost always 30% shorter than reality.
    If you're just at 30% short that's about 50% better than most of ours

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Jasnmar, I said they suck donkey balls because they do. Seems youd like a little more info as to why. Well i was trying to save time but....here goes.

I worked at a motorcycle dealership. We did not sell Hyosung. We would get people trying to trade them in at times. It got to the point we would no longer take them on trade. The parts were pretty much impossible to get, there was no factory rep to help. The flimsy, chinsey materials used looked great the first season but then deteriorated very quickly. The chrome would flake and peel off....all the unpainted metal pieces would rust...the plastic fairings were very brittle and had a tendancy to crack if you looked at them wrong. If the bike sat for more than a week it would have a dead battery and require a carb clean. We had one GT650 used that got traded in for over 2 years, nobody would buy it.

Good enough? They fuckin suck donkey balls. Get it?
    OK, now that I know your definition of "They fuckin suck donkey balls" it all makes sense. Seriously, thanks. Good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackday Guru View Post
    I think THAt about covers it.

Do yourself a favor - Get yourself an SV and be done with it. And if you can't find one, call John at Cycles 128 ((978) 927-3400) and tell him Mike sentcha.

Good luck.
    Certainly covered .

Thanks for the pointer

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Take off your engineer's hat and don't get too caught up in over-analyzing this.
    I have enjoyed watching you wheelie and doing stoppies with the 'wing, but I don't think it really matters what sportbike you get... you'll have a blast on most anything!
    Are you going on the Seacoast ride Saturday?
    I bought this engineers hat hoping someone would let me drive a train. So far no luck

No go for Saturday. My daughter is graduating from Highschool. Big family no no to miss that one.

If you need to be talked out of one of those you deserve the POS.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

OK. Now talk me out of this...

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3072000421.html

"SV 650s - $2000
    Runs great. Never abused. New tires last year. Speedometer just recently stopped working at 25k. Very quick bike, fun to ride."

No mention of year in the add, but do I really care? Thing looks completely stock. Speedo not working, which means unknown mileage, but do I really care?

In car sales terms....this is a TMU (total miles unknown)
    You can actaully use this to your advantage to lower the price.
    Just make sure you know how to look at the condition, if it passes your quality test, offer a lower price.
    The title is another story and I am too lazy to type, just post another thread when you are ready to buy this.

99 R6 track bike

I was never very impressed with my 1st gen SV650S. The seating position was way too aggressive and stretched out for me, and I'm 6'1". Even my 98 GSXR 600 SRAD was more comfortable than the SV650 was.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

For what its worth, I worked at a dealer here in SF that sold Hyosungs new. Major services are a big deal. Things dont seem to stay in spec. I was in the parts dept and it seemed like every bike that came back for its 500 and 3000 mile services needed adjustments. That leads me to the biggest reason I would not buy one, their dealer support sucks alot. Me - parts guy - trying to get parts on order was a nightmare. Parts got lost, were out of stock from the US supplier, total logistical nightmare. It didnt matter if your were trying to get motor parts or cosmetic panels. Its like pulling teeth at times. Not sure who is a dealer in the New England area but it wont even matter. Do yourself a favor, if you want a small displacement twin, buy a used SV or hell even an Aprilia Shiver. The Hyosungs are throw away bikes.

Tuono

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast