Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So talk me out of one of these

Redistribution Supplier

Re: So talk me out of one of these

It's Chinese.

That alone should be enough,if not..good luck.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by FalArAk View Post
    It's Chinese.

That alone should be enough,if not..good luck.
    Hyosung is Korean, not Chinese.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Hyosung is Korean, not Chinese.
    Bigu Dirrerensu.

I shoulda started a new thread. Apologies.

I am anxiously awaiting your 'new bike' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    In car sales terms....this is a TMU (total miles unknown)
    You can actaully use this to your advantage to lower the price.
    Just make sure you know how to look at the condition, if it passes your quality test, offer a lower price.
    The title is another story and I am too lazy to type, just post another thread when you are ready to buy this.
    Thanks. Good to know. I kinda presummed that the TMU issue was in the price, but your right... it's a complete unknown. I should use it as best as I can.
    As to looking at conditions ... in my recent history I've bought a cruiser with 1200 miles and a goldwing with 7k miles. There wasn't anything that could actually be problematic. That said, I'm not a complete idiot (arguably) tires, brakes, chain, sprocket (is there an easy way to check the driven sprocket) , forks, rear suspension. Reasonable... typical wear items like touch surfaces (seat, grips, pegs) should be "appropriate".
    Anything I'm obviously missing?

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I was never very impressed with my 1st gen SV650S. The seating position was way too aggressive and stretched out for me, and I'm 6'1". Even my 98 GSXR 600 SRAD was more comfortable than the SV650 was.
    Well that's concerning. I'm not as tall, but prolly fatter. I've gone from my cruiser to a goldwing (which is actually "sportier" than my cruiser) which is standard, but haven't really tried any sport bikes yet... has me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    For what its worth, I worked at a dealer here in SF that sold Hyosungs new. Major services are a big deal. Things dont seem to stay in spec. I was in the parts dept and it seemed like every bike that came back for its 500 and 3000 mile services needed adjustments. That leads me to the biggest reason I would not buy one, their dealer support sucks alot. Me - parts guy - trying to get parts on order was a nightmare. Parts got lost, were out of stock from the US supplier, total logistical nightmare. It didnt matter if your were trying to get motor parts or cosmetic panels. Its like pulling teeth at times. Not sure who is a dealer in the New England area but it wont even matter. Do yourself a favor, if you want a small displacement twin, buy a used SV or hell even an Aprilia Shiver. The Hyosungs are throw away bikes.
    Having always had Honda's, this wasn't even a consideration for me initially. I just assumed ... bad idea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I am anxiously awaiting your 'new bike' thread.
    Yea... we'll see. SO isn't really aware of the search. My plans and hers don't always match:-)
    Fortunately she doesn't yet have the funds from the sale of my cruiser yet. Unfortunately, she hasn't prolly looked yet either. :-\

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    (is there an easy way to check the driven sprocket)
    Visually.

IMO some well planned questions to the previous owner go a long way to evaluating the condition of the bike. When was it last serviced? What was done? By who? Sketchy or vague answers are troubling.

But I'm no expert. And I've bought some real shit once or twice.

Your wing is actually a sportbike-give or take-under all that plastic. As you've demonstrated to several of us, weight is a surmountable obstacle to speed and-to a lesser extent-handling.

Honda is, IMO, the 'premium' Japanese brand. Their fit, finish and quality are almost always better than the rest. Suzuki is one of the more value oriented Japanese brands, IMO. (This is why my cheap ass has had two in a row!) The plastic tends to be a bit thinner. The fasteners not as well hidden. The seams a little rougher. And the components are often cheaper. The SV is like my DL and my Bandit before it; suspension is relatively low-buck and basic. Ask RandyO about Suzuki electrics and charging systems. (Then again, ask VFR owners the same thing.)

IMO Suzukis are more made to a price than Hondas, and certainly 'wings, are. Remember that when you climb off your 'wing and look at an SV. Like climbing out of an Acura to check out a Corolla.

BTW: How was the track day?!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    The biggest thing ive seen that worries me the hyo is that they rust and deteriorate very quickly. While an older jap bike will look decent in a few years those hyo's look really bad in afew years no matter how well they are taken care of. Just like all those chinese scooter and quads they just arent durable. The bikes themselves are decent but have an overall low quality feel to them. Its all the rusting bolts and fading thats troublesome.
    and they also have good amount of electrical issues, I thought about one few years back because how cheap they were and I really wanted a bike "NOW" but after researching more on them I decided against it. Most of the ones I found on CL at the time had electrical issues from "it just won't start...again" to the dash not lighting up, to corroded wires on fairly new bikes, like most stated, cheaply build bike

Motard! Crazy fun, great mileage, and if you get the right tires you can pretty much go anywhere worry free.

EDIT: and talk about flickable, most weigh in at under 300 lbs.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Yea... we'll see. SO isn't really aware of the search. My plans and hers don't always match:-)
    Wow! That went poorly

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

Were you described as some sort of irrational child? Did you agree with her and scratch your head wondering why that mattered? (Uh, yeah, so?!) That's kind of how my "I'd like to get a project bike" conversation went.

We didn't even get to the irrational child discussion. This was just the worst idea evah.

I had a very valid and reasonable argument...
    Me: "See, if I'm at a track day and crash my 'wing, the cost to fix my 'wing will be more than the cost of this entire other bike."
    She: "So don't crash"

!!!!Damn!!!

(Thinking to self... Ok, If I keep go to enough track days eventually I'm bound to tip over... I should say that... Wait... Think it through... Then she'll say "If going to track days means you're going to crash, then you aren't going". !!!Damn!!!)

Me: "But..."
    She: "If we're going to get a vehicle we need to get you a car so we aren't spending so much on gas for your truck in the winter"
    Me: "But it's summer?"
    She: "Right, so let's spend the money putting in the walkway we've been talking about. You can't do that in the winter."

!!!!Damn!!!!

MeShe

Lifer

Exchange some keywords, and I've had the same discussion... with the same outcome. Her response usually leads with a "Wait, WHUUUT?! Have you lost your mind?!"

!!!!Damn!!!! indeed. Well played ma'am, well played.

Aaaah. Can't wait to be married fer realz!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123