Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what tank bag are you using?

what tank bag are you using?

i have a cortech magnetic tank bag, but am considering something that affixes to the bike a little more securely, with straps or gascap lock. i'm not against the magnet-mount, just considering other options.

So what kind of tank bag do you use? what do you like/not like about it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: what tank bag are you using?

I'm looking for one for this summer. Something I can put my chest on on long rides, haha. I've been looking for a magnetic one, but I'm in for opinions.

I've been looking at this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

and this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c=45&zmap=3414

Last edited by khuygie88; 04-17-11 at 10:30 PM.

Careful with the straps, they might rub your paint the wrong way and make a mess.

I have a Cortech mini-magnetic...but with an 07 gixxer 1k, the front part of the tank has a plastic shroud over it. One way to get around that is, epoxy magnets to the underside of the shroud, making sure you have the right poles of the magnets facing the plastic. I've not done this yet, but when I get around to it there's a company called United Nuclear that sells magnets strong enough to hang the bike from.

I have an icon tank bag/backpack convertible thing. Was nice for when I was in school but honestly converting it back and forth was a little more effort than I'd like.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Rapid Transit Recon 19 (magnetic version).

Best piece of equipment I've bought for my bike. Holds it's shape, even when empty. Holds 19 liters worth of stuff, and very well built. If I park in the bad part of town, I'll run a bicycle lock through one of the D-rings. It's probably not the most secure method, but better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Bags Connection with the SW-Motech mount.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/451/

I've been running the Daypak II for a year and love it. Great for days ride and holds my lunch for work. Nothing touches the paint and it's easy on/off for gas and security. I'm picking up a larger bag for a multi day ride I have coming up.

Me no likey crash

have a rapid transit expandable bag...forget the model #, but its quite sturdy,the magnets hold extremely well...got it at freedom cycle in concord ,NH..for around $59.00.....( i think).. u can stuff quite a few things in there,

I love mine, http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

I can even fit my laptop in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Rapid Transit Recon 19 (magnetic version).

Best piece of equipment I've bought for my bike. Holds it's shape, even when empty. Holds 19 liters worth of stuff, and very well built. If I park in the bad part of town, I'll run a bicycle lock through one of the D-rings. It's probably not the most secure method, but better than nothing.
    I have this, but the strap version. I used to have a Nelson Rigg magnetic bag but some fine steel dust got on the magnets and scratched the shit out of my tank. I also really like that this one has:
    1) A permanently attached rain cover that stashes into a little hidden pocket on the back. I LOVE this feature
    2) A pouch for a hydration bladder with a rubberized hole to route the tube through, also a very nice feature.
    3) I can leave the backpack strap attached at one end, making it very easy to strap up the other end and walk around with it

It doesn't hold as much as the nelson rigg (which was square and expandable) but I like it so much better. The straps are very secure and I haven't really had any problems with the straps and the paint It is sometimes annoying always having the strap at the base of the seat there, but I have no room under my seat where I can stash it while not in use. The straps near the front of the tank don't bother me at all when not installed.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by Charlief View Post

I've been running the Daypak II for a year and love it. Great for days ride and holds my lunch for work. Nothing touches the paint and it's easy on/off for gas and security. I'm picking up a larger bag for a multi day ride I have coming up.
    what i really want is the bags-connetion engage XL bag, but by the time you throw in the electrified tank ring (and why not?) it's ~$300 bucks.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2625/451/

my other consideration is the motocentric mototrek 19. it's much less expensive at ~$70 bucks and holds roughly the same as the engage XL.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

i recently picked up some side cases and a top case, so i suppose security is less of a concern since i'd just be able to pop off a tank bag and lock it in one of the cases. right now i'm running a cortech super mini magnetic bag which is actually a great little bag, i am just looking for something bigger.

also, i really would like to have an outlet inside the bag to charge my phone. and if i had the motocentric (or any other magnet/strap bag) i'd have to mickey mouse a cord into it, hopefully in a neat way.

has anyone worked a powerlet outlet into a magnetic tank bag?

Last edited by Argyle; 04-18-11 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlief View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Argyle View Post
    also, i really would like to have an outlet inside the bag to charge my phone. and if i had the motocentric (or any other magnet/strap bag) i'd have to mickey mouse a cord into it, hopefully in a neat way.

has anyone worked a powerlet outlet into a magnetic tank bag?
    Mines not magnetic, but I do run a powerlet cable into the rubber headphone hole that the Rapid Transit bag has, which I then connect to the a 3 jack cigarette lighter plug thing (which used to power cell phone, ipod, and radar detector without any trouble). It's not perfect, but it is pretty easy to manipulate and doesn't ever get in the way. My powerlet adapter is by my left knee though, so it wouldn't be as well suited if the plug was near the ignition. I have used that same setup in my magnetic tank bag and I didn't have trouble, the routing was just a bit more difficult.

'90 Yamaha XT350

I have a Nelson Rigg magbetic one that I sometimes use. I actually prefer a tail bag though. More room and you don't have to constantly move it to fuel the bike.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Mines not magnetic, but I do run a powerlet cable into the rubber headphone hole that the Rapid Transit bag has, which I then connect to the a 3 jack cigarette lighter plug thing (which used to power cell phone, ipod, and radar detector without any trouble). It's not perfect, but it is pretty easy to manipulate and doesn't ever get in the way. My powerlet adapter is by my left knee though, so it wouldn't be as well suited if the plug was near the ignition. I have used that same setup in my magnetic tank bag and I didn't have trouble, the routing was just a bit more difficult.
    is the rubber headphone opening on the rapid transit facing you when the bag is on the tank? do you run the cable up from under the tank or over the tank and under the bag?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have a cortech magnetic bag. It's a newer one. It replaced my last cortech bag that fell off the back of a buddies rsv and got sucked in between the swingarm and tire.
    Anyway, my old one had 6 magnets on the bottom (not including the wings). My new one only has 4 even though its the same model just 5 years newer. It works great I just wish it had more magnets like my old one. I can easily fit enough crap in it like a gallon of milk and misc crap like visors.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

is the rubber headphone opening on the rapid transit facing you when the bag is on the tank? do you run the cable up from under the tank or over the tank and under the bag?
    Yes, the hydration port and the headphone port both face me. I run the cable pretty much vertically up and right into the bag, since I just unplug it and keep the cable in the bag. The cable doesn't run under anything, as it doesn't have to.

Edit: I can take a picture if you want

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 04-18-11 at 08:34 PM.
    '90 Yamaha XT350

cortech standard square type, non-magnetic (plastic tank)
    does the job, but it's as about as exciting as, well, me....

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    cortech standard square type, non-magnetic (plastic tank)
    does the job, but it's as about as exciting as, well, me....
    I only buy tankbags that give a great deal of excitement.

Wait...what?

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Yes, the hydration port and the headphone port both face me. I run the cable pretty much vertically up and right into the bag, since I just unplug it and keep the cable in the bag. The cable doesn't run under anything, as it doesn't have to.

Edit: I can take a picture if you want
    don't sweat it if it's a pain, but would be great if you don't mind.

So I tried to take one with the cable with some slack, and taut (if you preferred it that way). Note, this is with one of the shoulder straps partially mounted (to the ring closest to the seat, with the strap stashed in the main part of the bag for easy mounting when stopped). When I stop for breaks I pull the powerlet cable out, for longer stops the whole thing comes along (with powerlet cable just stashed in the bag). It has an SAE connector to the 3-way cigarette lighter adapter so that I can quick disconnect it and throw it on the tender if necessary.

'90 Yamaha XT350

that is exactly what i want to do - thanks for the photos. my bike has an sae connector on the handlebars, so likely i'll get the same electrical setup that you have there and run it either back under the tank and up, or just over the tank and under the bag.

that is exactly what i want to do - thanks for the photos. my bike has an sae connector on the handlebars, so likely i'll get the same electrical setup that you have there and run it either back under the tank and up, or just over the tank and under the bag.
    The nice thing about this bag is the clips along the side for the drinking tube. I have used those clips to route the PTT button wiring for my chatterbox with good results. If that wouldn't work then under the bag should work fine, though mine is a very tight fit (by design) and would probably require a touch more slack in the straps. I also am not bothered by wiring, as you can tell from the chatterbox power cable and heated vest power cable dangling from the lower strap.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I use a "Firstgear Laguna Mini Tank Bag" on one of my bikes, got it from MotoMarket, Paul let me take it out to the bike and try it on before buying. This small bag holds a surprising amount of stuff, and the magnets are really strong, plus it has straps if you want to use them (I don't). Clears the gas cap, too.

Last edited by whynot; 04-19-11 at 08:22 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I use a "Firstgear Laguna Mini Tank Bag" on one of my bikes, got it from MotoMarket, Paul let me take it out to the bike and try it on before buying. This small bag holds a surprising amount of stuff, and the magnets are really strong, plus it has straps if you want to use them (I don't). Clears the gas cap, too.

nice KZ. my first bike was a kz750 and i miss it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast