Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Teach me some things about Ducatis

Teach me some things about Ducatis

I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a dedicated pavement bike to my garage, most likely a roadster or possibly sport/adv tourer (street focused, just a quick and comfy tourer). What I REALLY want is a 2005-2010 Triumph Speed Triple, but am having a tough time finding one that I like for a price that I think is fair. So, I’ve been considering a few Ducatis, but I don’t really know all that much about what they’re like to live with and which models/engines are the winners and which to avoid. So anyway, these are the models I’m kind of interested in:

-Monster (which years/engines are good? I don’t mind old as long as they’re not too expensive/difficult to live with)

-Multistrada (I rode a 2016 and loved it. Is the 950 worth it? Is $12000 reasonable for a 13 year old bike? I’d consider an air cooled one too)

-Hypermotard/strada (air cooled 1100 or water? 937 or 821?)

-Scrambler 1100 (honestly, I don’t know if it makes sense to have two scramblers, even though the 1100 seems more like a roadster to me)

-ST3/4 (don’t know much about these at all)

-Older Super Sport (don’t know too much about these either, I’d probably pull the fairings off and swap the clip ones for a bar, is that sacrilege?)

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head, but I’m open to suggestions. Heck, suggest other brands too, if you want.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Re: Teach me some things about Ducatis

It makes sense to have two scramblers but only if you mean mine.

I say Monster 1100 EVO. Unless you get a Panigale, 999 or 998.

Your park avenue leads to..

ST3 was a baller sport tourer back in the day. Updated instrument cluster and headlight are worth holding out for vs the earlier gen ST2/4/4S. I never got chance to try a ST4S, but basically should be slightly softer than the ST3 on bottom, comparable mid and better top end/overrev than the purposely choked on top ST3.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I really like the air cooled Ducs, did a lot of riding over 9 years on my Hyper 796. Simpler is better IMO, air cooled, minimal body work.

If I were in the market, I'd get this Hyper 1100 S -- "S" means Ohlins all around.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4732008466839/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And don't believe everything you think.

I like my ‘05 Multi quite a bit. The air cooled 2V is a sweet motor that doesn’t require a ton of maintenance. You can get an S model for $3-6k which can’t be said for pretty much any decent bike these days. Once I get my suspension back from Superbike44, would meet up for a ride and swap if you want to throw a leg over?

If you’re still after an 05-10 Speedy, narrow that to 08-10. The 05-07 had transmission issues they fixed for 08.

Agree on the above comments for the Monster, 1100 EVO is the way to go.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I like my ‘05 Multi quite a bit. The air cooled 2V is a sweet motor that doesn’t require a ton of maintenance. You can get an S model for $3-6k which can’t be said for pretty much any decent bike these days. Once I get my suspension back from Superbike44, would meet up for a ride and swap if you want to throw a leg over?

If you’re still after an 05-10 Speedy, narrow that to 08-10. The 05-07 had transmission issues they fixed for 08.

Agree on the above comments for the Monster, 1100 EVO is the way to go.
    I definitely had a preference for ‘08 plus Speedies already due to a few updates they made, wasn’t aware of the transmission issues though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    ST3 was a baller sport tourer back in the day. Updated instrument cluster and headlight are worth holding out for vs the earlier gen ST2/4/4S. I never got chance to try a ST4S, but basically should be slightly softer than the ST3 on bottom, comparable mid and better top end/overrev than the purposely choked on top ST3.
    This just makes me realize I know almost nothing about the ST bikes, I guess I have no idea what the differences are. Have to look into that.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I really like the air cooled Ducs, did a lot of riding over 9 years on my Hyper 796. Simpler is better IMO, air cooled, minimal body work.

If I were in the market, I'd get this Hyper 1100 S -- "S" means Ohlins all around.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4732008466839/
    I have had my eye on that and a couple of other 1100 S’s out there. Seem reasonable priced, and I always liked the looks of the air cooled hypers

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    It makes sense to have two scramblers but only if you mean mine.

I say Monster 1100 EVO. Unless you get a Panigale, 999 or 998.
    I don’t think my back and wrists could handle a Panigale, and I’ve never cared for the looks of the sportiest Ducs (sacrilege, I know). I also think every Duc Streetfighter ever made is ugly…

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Hypertarded

I'd vote Hyper, still love my 08, of course probably bias as it was 90% of the reason I got back into riding after 6+years with no street bike. Ridden a few other years / models, different but good as well, would grab a newer one to add if I found a crazy deal.

Monster & Multi also good choices, I'd see if you easily fit on all / one more comfortable, that may cut down options Based on your back / wrist comment, had same issue, I'm no touring rider, but have no problem doing a 4-5 hour day on the hyper, of course with the forced stops at 102 miles for fuel...

I've owned an air cooled monster and now a Hyper 821 and a 959 Pani. For your purposes, I'd go monster 1100 Evo or Hyper 937 (or whatever). Both bikes are comfy, fast, reliable, and oozing with style and character. I will say the step from air cooled to water is a considerable change in character. Less of a slugger, more of a rever.

My 821 is not a tame bike. When I wheelie it, it is trying to throw me off the back. Brake hard and bang a downshift or 2 and the rear steps out so easy it's like cheating. The 959 motor is a little torqueier, but not as wild. I will say that I prefer the 821 body style of all the hypers. It's just gorgeous. Likewise with Monsters, I like the Evo1100 the best. Some of the updates have not improved the aesthetics.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    I have had my eye on that and a couple of other 1100 S’s out there. Seem reasonable priced, and I always liked the looks of the air cooled hypers
    On my 2010 Hyper, I added the small Fabbri windscreen, it does an impressive job of wind deflection for such a small screen. To carry extra stuff, I used a Wolfman small enduro bag and an OGIO tail bag. Served me well touring for 27K miles.

Teach me some things about Ducatis-img_0756-jpg

I know nothing about Ducati's. Only that Seacoast Sport Cycle sells alot of them. Sorry for the "non help"

Lifer

There’s a vid on YouTube of an evo monster 1100 with thermis, baffles in and out, sitting, take off and fly by (I wish all exhaust vids were like this one), that I’ve watched a dozen times.

Usually there’s at least one evo with termis on cycle trader. It’s on my list for the future.

Might scratch the Speed Triple itch too!

Lifer

You must be pretty tall if you own an XE, I will say I sat on a monster 1100 evo at naults, and while it’s comfy, it felt wicked compact, like I was really over the handlebar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    You must be pretty tall if you own an XE, I will say I sat on a monster 1100 evo at naults, and while it’s comfy, it felt wicked compact, like I was really over the handlebar.
    Good to know. I’m 6’2”. I’ve definitely sat on a Monster at some point, and maybe even rode a 696 at a Ducati test ride, cant remember for sure. My main issue with sportier bikes is hip pain from high and rear set pegs. I’d guess a Monster is probably the most cramped thing I could maybe get comfortable on.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

The Hyper 821’s had an issue with the ignition coils failing and frying the dash and/or ECU - the fix was to replace them with Aprilia coils. The 13/14 models also had a harsh/grabby clutch, I believe this was resolved/upgraded in the 2015+ models, and it is retrofittable to the 13/14’s.
    For these reasons, I would sway towards the 939, unless I knew the 821 had these fixes/upgrades done.
    I say this as a guy with a Hyper1100 in 500 pieces that I’ve ridden exactly 0.0 miles since I took ownership 1.5 years ago.

Do you know which Aprilia coils were the fix? I just became aware of the issue and want to get ahead of it. I definitely have the grabby clutch. I also have the parts to fix it, but haven't dug in yet.

Paul_E_D

One thing to look at, a lot of Ducs have pretty small gas tanks. My S4R with full termi system would go on reserve at 60 miles. For my Hyper 796, I got the 6.4 gal. tank from CA-Cycleworks which gave me a 300 mile range. An ST2-3-4 would be better I'd think for touring than some others.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    One thing to look at, a lot of Ducs have pretty small gas tanks. My S4R with full termi system would go on reserve at 60 miles. For my Hyper 796, I got the 6.4 gal. tank from CA-Cycleworks which gave me a 300 mile range. An ST2-3-4 would be better I'd think for touring than some others.
    I’m mainly looking for a sporty street toy, kind of only looking at a tourer if I stumble across a great one at a great price since my Scrambler tours well enough. But good to know about the limited range.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Be it in a monster, hyper or multi count me as a vote for the air cooled dual spark motors. Super fun to drive and so damn easy to own. Of the three models which one do you think looks the best and if you can sit on them which one has the best riding position for you, I think that should be the determining factors.

And I'm not sure about the multi or monster but the Hypermotard has a very small gas tank, barely 100 miles between fill-ups on my 1100.

Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Do you know which Aprilia coils were the fix? I just became aware of the issue and want to get ahead of it. I definitely have the grabby clutch. I also have the parts to fix it, but haven't dug in yet.
    Not sure of the PN, but I believe the ones off the Tuono V4 - IIRC, guys on the forums were buying a set of 4 on eBay or wherever and splitting them

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Be it in a monster, hyper or multi count me as a vote for the air cooled dual spark motors. Super fun to drive and so damn easy to own. Of the three models which one do you think looks the best and if you can sit on them which one has the best riding position for you, I think that should be the determining factors.

And I'm not sure about the multi or monster but the Hypermotard has a very small gas tank, barely 100 miles between fill-ups on my 1100.
    Can you elaborate on them being easy to own? I feel like they always had a reputation for lots of expensive maintenance. I’m ok with maintenance I can do myself, but don’t love spending a lot of time/money at the dealer. Like, I assume I probably can’t do a desmo service myself and I thought the air cooled bikes needed it fairly frequently. Otherwise, I find the air cooled bikes very appealing.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

I have a 2008 HyperMotard 1100S which I'll probably be selling this year. You're welcome to come by and take a look and give it a quick ride.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I might take some of you guys up on these rides at some point…

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast