Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tell me about the Husqvarna SM610

Tell me about the Husqvarna SM610

i know little about huskies. i have heard there expensive and high maintenance. much like ktm's. i've been looking at dr/xr/klr 650's. there stone reliable and will serve my purpose i guess but these euro motards are really tempting me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Tell me about the Husqvarna SM610

Expensive and high maintenance is a gross exaggeration. Sure, you've got to adjust the valves every 6000 miles, but that's as high maintenance as it gets. Parts are within 10% of any Japanese similar model. It's all hype man, they're great machines.

Edit: they're/their.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hypertarded

I can tell ya you missed a great deal on Scotties SM610, let it go for a steal about 4 months ago.

I can also tell you that my 2007 KTM 690sm has over 12k miles with nothing more than oil changes every 3k and a valve inspection at 8k with no adjustments everything in spec. If you've got the $$ I'D go for a KTM/Husky option, more power/less weight and minimal additional maint over the DR/XR/KLR but that's just my $0.02.

P.S. supermotos

wow, good to hear. supermotojunkie has allot for sale but there all mid/west coast. let me know if you find anybody else selling one!

so cheap even with the shipping added
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Husqv...Q5fmotorcycles

if your interested my dad has a KLR650 he is no longer using (new triumph 1050... soooo comfy) ehem... and he was thinking of selling awhile back, I could check if he was still thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by cfro30 View Post
    if your interested my dad has a KLR650 he is no longer using (new triumph 1050... soooo comfy) ehem... and he was thinking of selling awhile back, I could check if he was still thinking about it

sure, that would be great.

The thing with the ktms and huskies, is they come with much better suspension, and usually brakes, than their respective Japanese counterparts. At least in the realm of bike you're looking at. A te(sm) or an lc4 would do exactly what you wanted. IMO better than a xrl, klr, or dr. Dont be afraid of the "high maintenance". A valve adjustment will only take an hour or less once you do the first one and learn the steps you can skip. (removing this nic-nac or that)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Chipper is correct. Huskies come with Showa suspension, Brembo brakes, D.I.D. chain, Dunlops, Magura controls. All things that are upgrades on their counterparts. As far as reliability is concerned I raced a 450SS for 2500 roadracing miles with just oil changes and one valve check that is rather easy. I put a higher compression piston in and that let go. But the stock stuff is durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    The thing with the ktms and huskies, is they come with much better suspension, and usually brakes, than their respective Japanese counterparts. At least in the realm of bike you're looking at. A te(sm) or an lc4 would do exactly what you wanted. IMO better than a xrl, klr, or dr.

The other thing about the KTMs and Huskies is that they're MUCH more powerful than their Japanese counterparts. The Husky TE/SM610 makes 53hp, the KTM 690 Enduro makes 63. (For what it's worth, the Husaberg FE650 reportedly made 70-something...)

The XRL and DR650 are both about 35hp but weigh a good 25+ lbs more than the Husky or KTM, the KLR makes about 40hp and weighs over 100lbs more.

A lightly-used XR650R with a dual-sport kit on it would be competitive with the Husky, but the XRR hasn't been made in a few years now.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo
    I can tell ya you missed a great deal on Scotties SM610, let it go for a steal about 4 months ago.

I can also tell you that my 2007 KTM 690sm has over 12k miles with nothing more than oil changes every 3k and a valve inspection at 8k with no adjustments everything in spec. If you've got the $$ I'D go for a KTM/Husky option, more power/less weight and minimal additional maint over the DR/XR/KLR but that's just my $0.02.

P.S. supermotos
    Your 690 is an lc4 though. Hence no problems. The screw and lock nut valve adjustments make it easy to maintain.
    I want a 690.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

not sure if it fits your requirements but scope the F/S section over on SMJ for a sweet TE450 with dirt and sumo setup. guy bought it for $4500... he's trying to sell the whole package for $5K even. and the list of mods/extras is loooooong.

he's out on the vineyard i think. looks like a total steal.

oh, and Husky's rock!

Beta 200RR

If it's piotr's or chris piore's bike, they're both amazing.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I had a sm610.. loved it.. the seat sucked big time though... i ended up getting a custom renazco racing seat made..it was nice..

Current Toys:

2005 Nissan Titan CC

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    not sure if it fits your requirements but scope the F/S section over on SMJ for a sweet TE450 with dirt and sumo setup. guy bought it for $4500... he's trying to sell the whole package for $5K even. and the list of mods/extras is loooooong.

he's out on the vineyard i think. looks like a total steal.

oh, and Husky's rock!
    hows a 450 on the street compared to a 620? i'm not a small dude so i want big motor. didn't realize the jap bikes only put out 35hp.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    hows a 450 on the street compared to a 620? i'm not a small dude so i want big motor. didn't realize the jap bikes only put out 35hp.
    haven't ridden a TE450 on the road, i'd have to look up reviews/feedback but sounds like a bigger motor may work better for you. i was spoiled for a while with the 550 twin, ~70hp + ~275lbs bike = way fun.

i know i've read tons of great reviews on the SM610 but the 'racer types' always say it's down on power/a slug. i find that hard to believe. Goosedog over on SMJ does EVERYTHING with his 610, as do many others.

Beta 200RR

Yeah, the bigbore motards get a little ranked on by the motard racer types. The motors are less stressed and therefore feel flat compared to an MXer. The fact is that they are faster and more powerful than the mx based bikes, but generally are geared much taller and make power higher in the rev range. My 690 has outpaced every MX based motard it has seen on a roadcourse.

All this means that they are better daily drivers and require less maintenance than MXers, but are not as exciting to ride. Still more exciting than most sportbikes on the street IMO, with a more street like maint sched.

Where they would lose out to MX based bikes would be on true motard courses and offroad. They are just that much heavier and not as aggressive out of the hole.

Paul_E_D

well the search is on for a big bore as i have no plans to race at the moment. glad i posed this question on here. thanks!

awesome thread! I have the same thoughts going through my head for the upcoming year, husky 610, ktm 690......

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    well the search is on for a big bore as i have no plans to race at the moment. glad i posed this question on here. thanks!
    You will when you smoke some 600's ass in a corner while laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    You will when you smoke some 600's ass in a corner while laughing.
    True story. Late-brake everyone.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

i had an sm610 and loved it. it truly is a hooligan machine on the street. had to sell mine after only 200 miles since i got 3 tickets.